Thread: 1987 glhs #556.

Hybrid booster

1987 glhs #556.

Date: 13th August 2012
    Username: vipernbox
    Full Name:Ron Holm
    City, State, Zip:66109
    Selling or Wanted Price: $2647.38

Description:Here it goes again... I haven't touched the mid engine car in some time.. and this one is just sitting... So instead of just keeping all the fun to myself.. I'll just throw it out there if anyone is interested...
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...have-a-problem

I have replaced the all rubber brake lines..
    Fully cleaned the fuel tank and installed a new pump.
    All new fuel injection hose, and new fuel filter
    Changed oil and filter.
    Cleaned...
    New air filter
    New plugs and wires, cap, rotor.
    Repaired broken shift linkage.
    Repaired door handle and lubed window parts...
    Replaced steering column.

The car seems to have been a well maintained and very much unmolested car. Everything was stock or stock replacement.

It runs well, the A/C blows cold...

And all four KONI's are still on the car and seem to be in usable condition. Even the factory adjustment knob was in the glove box. The wheels are decent.. and I have a spare set I could powdercoat... Along with a better set of tires than what is one the car.. All the shelby stuff is there.. the steering wheel, dash plaque, Valve cover, emissions stickers, two piece intake manifold.

It is a little dirty.. faded paint.. interior has the typical problems.. but isn't destroyed... The shift knob is there... but it is about the worst of the interior.. The leather knob dried up years ago.

It has some rust in the drivers side floorpan... but sure doesn't look bad at all for a midwest L body... It doesn't appear to have crept into the frame rails or anywhere difficult to repair at all... I would consider it to be a pretty minor issue. There is also a couple half dollar or smaller spots on each quarter panel...

On the "To do" list is:

the horn button.. on hot days and quick stops sometimes it likes to go off on its own

Vehicle speed sensor code is being thrown.. I have a new replacement.

Either the alternator or a ground needs cleaned up.. It isn't pumping enough juice to keep up with the blower motor with the headlights on.. It will run one or the other.. I have several alternators.

The Power steering pump either needs replaced or simply a belt.. I have a brand new belt and pump...

The brakes might need something.. It stops alright.. but I think the pads are hard from sitting or something.. I think it could stop better.. I am pretty sure I have a new set of pads on the shelf.. and for the right buyer I could include any of the different styles of "big" brakes.. From the front and rear vented disks like the 89 Shelby daytona had.. or anything in between.. Just ask and we can work something out.

I will consider trades.. Right now we need a 'family' vehicle around here.. Minivan, SUV, wagon ect.. Or.. whatever.. and the price is negotiable if the car is going to a good home.

Oh... I have the stock airbox and all the rest of it.. I was in the middle of working on the vac lines and shift linkage when this picture was taken.. I may try and take a more current pic and get it up later.. but you get the idea..

Hybrid booster

Re: 1987 glhs #556.

Will this make it across the state? Can you send pictures of the rust? How is the sunroof rubber?
    Thanks
    Steve

Hybrid booster

I wouldn't know why it wouldn't make it across the state.. The only thing which would really concern me would be the tires that are on it They have little wear but plenty of age cracking... But i could swap them for a better set I have around..

Sunroof rubber, window scrapers ect are all in the usual pretty rough shape..

pictures of rust will be up later today.

Hybrid booster

Did I mention I am a motivated seller?

Hybrid booster

just thought I would mention.. I couldn't help but pick up an 85 Shelby Charger over the weekend.. It is a parts car..(title issues, rust floors ect) (i needed the front facisa stuff for mid engine car) But has a much nicer (still not perfect) sunroof and a few other minor things...

So... Just saying...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

PM sent on parts car.

Hybrid booster

Ok... So I traded this to a buddy of mine for a Jeep I needed to get some work done.. We tinkered around and fixed the alternator, Power steering pump ect.. Most of the to do list I have listed above.

It was running a bit rough, off on on for some reason... but everything was checking out.

New +20 injectors, 3 Bar map.. 87 electronics conversion with a socketed computer seemed to help..

It still wasn't running quite right and I think he was beating on it just a little... because it did pull pretty strong.. He drove it back to my house with some kind of a knock..

So I just paid him for the Jeep and here it sits.

I have to many projects.. and still keep collecting them.

I don't really need to get rid of this one, but at any pont if someone wants it, I am always ready to sell.

Just throwing it out there. Price is as it always is around here... very negotiable.

collecting is a lot of fun

Hybrid booster

Ok... So I got as far as pulling the original engine.. Found number 4 rod was knocking.. I have a 88 T2 shortblock that was to be freshened up and installed... and it is still sitting there.. Like the car which has been hanging out on my lift essentially untouched for nearly 3 months...

Time to bounce up the for Sale ad...

After this post I plan on heading out to the shop and working for the free hour or two I have... and then I MIGHT have some time next week.. But even after the car is running I will have little use for it.... soooo....

bump...

Hybrid booster

Heck for the right price I would even send this one to a new home with a low mileage Masi engine... Yeah I know.. I should hang onto that engine... But still...

id take it if you would put the thing together and it was running so i could drive it

Hybrid booster

Tinkering with that today... I took the spare engine apart last week just to inspect and found a questionable rod bearing... Today is cleaning and accounting for what is good and what ain't... I have a spare 86 short block which may have a good 2.2 pre common block cast crank...

Not sure.. I may end up sending some stuff to the machine shop... Or just slam a common block together.. Only trouble with that is I don't have any extra 2.2 common block cranks.. Only 2.5 stuff... So.....

Wish someone would save me from the work...

if i had a spare motor id take it just as a shell but sadly i dont or have access to a 87 T2 complete which is what is supposed to be in it. masi motor in it would be nice but id hate to change all the stuff and make it unoriginal

Hybrid booster

Ok... I found a good cast early 2.2 crank... and could drive to a friends to pick up a non common block Forged crank.. Hopefully next week I can get it put back together... Are the early (87) main bearing the same as the Common block stuff... I have piles of new CB bearings ect... but not sure if I have any of the other if they are different in stock.. lol...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    if i had a spare motor id take it just as a shell but sadly i dont or have access to a 87 T2 complete which is what is supposed to be in it. masi motor in it would be nice but id hate to change all the stuff and make it unoriginal
    I've got an '87 shortblock you can have. I'm only a few hours north of him. Has an '88 crank sprocket on there though.