Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 86 GLHS Build and Restoration

boostaholic

86 GLHS Build and Restoration

I'm kicking this off since I've finally gotten off my butt and started working on the GLHS again. I'm going to try and document the build with some pictures on at least a weekly basis. The purpose of this build is not to bring the car back to showroom stock condition, but rather to create a car that both looks good and is competitive in SCCA Autox. Oh yeah, it also needs to be pleasant to drive so it'll be getting some upgraded sound insulation.

Current modifications that are either installed or are in-process:

MP Road Race Springs
    A520 trans with 3.50:1 FD and OBX LSD
    CSX-T Lemans Wheels
    Relentless Racing 6 puck ceramic clutch (Yeah, it's that old)
    Kirkey aluminum racing seats
    Dynamat-like acoustic insulation
    2.5" exhaust

This is what it used to look like:

This is what it looked like in action:

Here is what I found under the carpet when I went to install the race seats:

Here is the floor after some fun with the cutoff wheel:

The floor after some welding:

And after paint:

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Here's a picture of the engine bay before paint:

Re: 86 GLHS Build and Restoration

Looks Great Clark! Subscribed
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

^agreed nice start

boostaholic

I just finished painting the engine bay tonight. It makes me want to re-clear the rest of the car so I'll have enough to wet sand and buff to a mirror shine. I guess that's lower on the priority list since right now the car doesn't have an engine!
    And yes, there is masking tape over the Shelby emissions decal!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Very cool Clark. Thanks for the link.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Competative Auto cross cars are great-if thats all you want to do with them. If you want to drive that car on the street to get burgers on nice Saturday evenings it's pretty tough to live with 1000lb rear springs, no front swaybar and the other concessions it takes to go around cones quicklyMy very well prepped 86GLHS was not competative at all when I took it to an Auto-X event a couple months ago

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Nice work.
    Is that a Thrifty car I see in the background of the first photo?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Subcribed!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Thanks for building a competitve 86 glhs. The world needs more of these! Good luck with the build.

boostaholic

I took my 86 GLHS to a local Autox in springfield and took FTD and FTDI with it in stock form running race tires. Of course, that was with a field of only about 35 cars. I'll be running the MP springs which aren't too bad on the street. If I adjust the konis to full soft it's still pretty pleasant to drive. I don't need to be #1, but I'd like to turn heads with its performance. I also Autox my GTS and it's considered an "uncompetitive" car. I finished 5th out of 65 cars/karts at the last event!

The biggest thing a GLHS needs to be competitive is an LSD. That is really what is holding the car back. With the 2.5" exhaust, LSD, and future ECM tune I think it'll be on the right track. A rear sway bar may also need to be in order at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Competative Auto cross cars are great-if thats all you want to do with them. If you want to drive that car on the street to get burgers on nice Saturday evenings it's pretty tough to live with 1000lb rear springs, no front swaybar and the other concessions it takes to go around cones quicklyMy very well prepped 86GLHS was not competative at all when I took it to an Auto-X event a couple months ago

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Nice work.
    Is that a Thrifty car I see in the background of the first photo?
    That is a Thrifty car. I used to own both that CSX-T and an 87 CSX, along with the GLHS, a Turbo Rampage, and a 91 R/T. Sadly, all of the cars are gone now except for the GLHS and the R/T. I do miss my 87 CSX, as that car hauled --- at 30lbs of boost.

Speaking of Rampages, I saw one at the local beverage store today! It was a white 82-83 Rampage/Scamp. It's the first time I've seen one on the road for over 12 years!

boostaholic

Some pictures from today:
    Strut tower after paint:

Firewall and Floor after application of home-made Dynamat-type sound/thermal insulation:

Mock-up of the replacement carpet:

I didn't take any pictures of the heater box, but today I bleached and rinsed everything, cleaning out the old mouse turds and other various debris. I didn't take any pictures because you guys really don't need to look at a stock Omni heater box! The box will go back in tomorrow and then I need to meet up with Jaren or Dave to pick up my brake booster and/or vacuum harness!

Hybrid booster

What kind of homeade dynamat did you use, the stuff from home depot??

Fuzz

boostaholic

The sound insulation is as close to Dynamat Extreme as I could come up with. It's 1/16" neoprene HD foam with .005" aluminum sheet. The foam came from Foamfactory.com and the aluminum came from Amazon.com from a seller of school supplies. Everything was glued together using 3M Super 77 adhesive. Total price came out to about 25% of Dynamat. I know this won't be as effective since the foam isn't as high density as the real stuff, but it will still absorb energy and help reduce panel resonance. Total cost to do the floor and firewall came out to about $25. Of course, about 40% of road noise comes from the roof so I'll be doing that next!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz's '87 Shadow View Post
    What kind of homeade dynamat did you use, the stuff from home depot??

Fuzz

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

We did the floors of our GLH in Dynamat and added some to the insides of the doors and quarter panels.
    It took that tinny ring out of all the panels and makes for a quiet riding car.

boostaholic

Tonight I bolted the manifolds back on the head and bolted the head back on the block. I'm in the process of cleaning up the valve cover before it goes back on, then it's time to put the wiring harness in. Of course, I should probably find a 2.5" swingvalve to install on the car before the motor goes in! I can't stand having a 2.25" swingvalve with 2.5" exhaust. Even though I painted the engine bay, I'm tempted to leave the engine "original" looking. I can paint up a nice looking engine once this LW rod motor blows to pieces!

boostaholic

The dash is back in, and the turbo is updated with a 2.5" Turbonetics swingvalve and a large can wastegate actuator. I also found my SS turbo lines and got them installed. They're a PITA to install compared to the factory lines.

Next up is getting the engine back in the car, then installing the Kirkey seats. Actually, it'll go seats, steering column, then engine. I'm hoping to get the seats and engine installed tomorrow. Will take pictures once the front seats are installed. I ended up getting black seats, even though gray would have matched the carpet better.

The last new parts I need to buy will be a new fuel pump, along with whatever electronics are required to make a flashable logic module. I think I'll be taking a look over at Boostbutton.com to see what's on the market these days.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

wow, you're really coming along Clark.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    Beauty Clark!
    What movie is that line from? Canadians should know this.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

A good read, thanks, good pics too, and I'll be copying your sound deadener idea.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast