Thread: Shift Pattern Inserts

Threaded View

Garrett booster

Shift Pattern Inserts

Had another pattern insert come apart some days ago. I've had nothing but trouble with them on all the cars I've owned that use them. Have several around and they are all junk. So this last time set me off and I went on a mission.

I made these first just patterning it after the factory insert. They press fit into the centerbore of the knob with a twin hose barb type setup. The holding edges were left dead sharp for the most part. I gave them about a .005" interference fit. They have to be punched out from the back if there's a need to remove.

Later I went back and added some script. And here's how it looks mounted in my Shelby Z.

A pic I took to better show the finish.

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone, and set off to make them model specific for my three cars.

These cover two of them. The other is an 86 CS.

At this point those I'd shown them to were asking I make them some, so that night while I was working up a file for my CS I put together some more designs.

Still have some changes I'm making. I still consider these prototypes. Going to scale up some of the script. Just a little to tight with a 30 degree bit that has a .006 cut at the tip. No more material at the moment without turning down oversize stock. Going to town and I'll pick some up then. Hoping to get enough people interested that I can do them at a decent price. Haulin' a** I clocked my cycle times on my operations to get my averages. I'm looking to do them for $15 for just a stock style shift pattern like the first pic. Model specific script added for an additional $5. $5 flat shipping(US) for one or multiples.

Last edited by DartGTS340; 09-05-2012 at 01:02 AM.