Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shift Pattern Inserts

Garrett booster

Shift Pattern Inserts

Had another pattern insert come apart some days ago. I've had nothing but trouble with them on all the cars I've owned that use them. Have several around and they are all junk. So this last time set me off and I went on a mission.

I made these first just patterning it after the factory insert. They press fit into the centerbore of the knob with a twin hose barb type setup. The holding edges were left dead sharp for the most part. I gave them about a .005" interference fit. They have to be punched out from the back if there's a need to remove.

Later I went back and added some script. And here's how it looks mounted in my Shelby Z.

A pic I took to better show the finish.

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone, and set off to make them model specific for my three cars.

These cover two of them. The other is an 86 CS.

At this point those I'd shown them to were asking I make them some, so that night while I was working up a file for my CS I put together some more designs.

Still have some changes I'm making. I still consider these prototypes. Going to scale up some of the script. Just a little to tight with a 30 degree bit that has a .006 cut at the tip. No more material at the moment without turning down oversize stock. Going to town and I'll pick some up then. Hoping to get enough people interested that I can do them at a decent price. Haulin' a** I clocked my cycle times on my operations to get my averages. I'm looking to do them for $15 for just a stock style shift pattern like the first pic. Model specific script added for an additional $5. $5 flat shipping(US) for one or multiples.

Last edited by DartGTS340; 09-05-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Re: Shift Pattern Inserts

Can you do one for a Shelby Charger? Maybe like the Shelby on the side or the CS logo
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Hybrid booster

Are you taking orders now?

turbo addict

That is an AMAZING product! Kudos to you for doing it!

FYI, the Omni/Charger models were push down to get to reverse unless they've been retrofitted with 520/555 shifter cables.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'd be down for one! Very cool product

Also how much for a plain one or maybe with just a logo on it?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    FYI, the Omni/Charger models were push down to get to reverse unless they've been retrofitted with 520/555 shifter cables.
    Yes, These are for the cable shifted pre 90 units. My omni is a clone with a 555. I need to get an entire l-body insert to see what I could do for them. I haven't had my hands on an l-body manual shifter since 93. These press into the knob and are fixed in place. To install mine I lined it up on the knob partially inserted in the bore, layed a piece of leather on it and gave it a light wack with a small dead blow. Once in they aren't going anywhere. That is the problem I have the most with the insert assemblies. The stamped face is easy enough to glue back on, but the assembly not staying in place drives me nuts. The elastomer the knob is made of doesn't adhese well with glues, and if you need to remove the knob you have to pry it out again anyway, unless you remove the locating tab before gluing it in.
    Last edited by DartGTS340; 09-03-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    Also how much for a plain one or maybe with just a logo on it?
    Just a straight up blank polished face? $10 The logo depends. If it's one of the mainstream model scripts that I've worked up, I would add it for $5. If your set on having something completely custom I would have to look at how many hours of CAD work I would have to do, and whether or not it's something I could amortise the cost out over other people wanting the same.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Very cool.
    Just one thing...
    On the Omni, GLH & Shelby Charger you push the shifter down to get reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by DartGTS340 View Post
    Just a straight up blank polished face? $10 The logo depends. If it's one of the mainstream model scripts that I've worked up, I would add it for $5. If your set on having something completely custom I would have to look at how many hours of CAD work I would have to do, and whether or not it's something I could amortise the cost out over other people wanting the same.
    Cool, let us know when to send some $$

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Very cool.
    Just one thing...
    On the Omni, GLH & Shelby Charger you push the shifter down to get reverse.
    on post #6 he said his car has an A555

Garrett booster
    I would love the Shelby Z one myself, very nice work! Let me know how much and when I can buy one.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    on post #6 he said his car has an A555
    Not everyone's does and some that do, convert to rod linkage.

It was only a suggestion.

^I understand, but he did mention those were done for his personal vehicle,so I would think he could do them in whatever pattern

Garrett booster

I can omit the "PULL" for l-bodies. Can even add "PUSH" if you wish. I modeled it after the originals on mine in the beginning.

As I stated, I haven't had a MT L-body since my 79 024 back in 93. Everything around here seems to be auto for some reason, and we no longer have any pick-n-pulls in the area at all. But in my storage along with a bunch of cable shift knobs I had one oddball, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if it is a l-body unit.

The one on the left is what I'm asking about. Just need to know if I'm working with the same center and counterbore dimensions for an L-body.

Garrett booster

I was in the middle of a job doing fabrication and custom engraving of motorcycle parts. Now the customer is vaccillating and looking to go a different way on his patterns. In the meantime I'm going to begin cranking some of these out tomorrow. Tonight I'll be getting on obtaining some more images to draw over and create more model specific files. So for those who are asking when they can order, the answer is now. If it's one that will be delayed due to creation time for the graphics I'll let you know.

I'll take one for an A555 shift pattern and one plain polished! Do you take paypal?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I will buy a Omni GLH Turbo insert,paypal ready.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DartGTS340 View Post
    The one on the left is what I'm asking about. Just need to know if I'm working with the same center and counterbore dimensions for an L-body.
    Yes the one on the left would be for a a525 rod shifted L-body (Omni or SC). BTW- Very nice product! As Andy stated that one originally would have had "push" instead of pull under reverse.
    Todd

Garrett booster
    PM sent!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

The L-body knob has smaller threads than the other cars; I believe 10mm as opposed to 12mm used on the cars with the pull-ring reverse.

I also seem to remember the insert itself was a slightly smaller diameter as well, but I'm not 100% sure of that one.

Hybrid booster

What about shipping for us Canucks? Also... I'm surprised nobody's asked about a pentastar logo.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast