Thread: '85 wagon window track fix

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

'85 wagon window track fix

My Dad's drivers side window in his '85 Chrysler T&C wagon was flopping around and binding when trying to raise it. If you didn't physically help the window, you couldn't get it to go up right. The plastic bushings were worn out. I tried flipping them around and that only lasted a year. Like many things, I have to re-engineer it because it's too old to get parts and besides, when I re-engineer it, I'll never have to fix it again. I removed the plastic and installed bronze. The wide part of the track is 3/4" and the bushings available from ACE are 3/4" inner diameter. I'm going to do the passenger side so I'll take better pictures then and show detail about the metal I have to remove to have the bushings fit. A die grinder with a carbide tip is needed but you may be able to do it with a dremel. I'll also supply the exact measurements of the bushings because they're two different outer diameter sizes. I purchased both from ACE.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Installed

A.J.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: '85 wagon window track fix

Great idea!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Good idea.
    The van regulator looks just like the window regulators in an L body.
    I'll have to look and see if it'll work on my GLH.

I did the passenger side today.

The tools I used to grind the holes open for the bushings.

The bushings. Actually ACE calls them bronze bearings.
    Left one measures 3/4" ID, 7/8" OD 1 1/8" flange, 3/4" length goes in the lower or enclosed hole
    Right one measures 3/4" ID, 1" OD, 1 1/8" flange, 3/4" length goes in the upper or open hole

Before

With factory bushings removed

Holes opened up to accept the bushings. Be careful that you only take enough metal off to get the bushings to fit. You don't want to cause the same problem of the rod not being tight that you're trying to fix.

Depending what size hold down bolts you're going to use, I used 6mm so I drilled the upper holes out to 1/4" and I had to drill new holes on the bottom. I put a couple of washers to straighten out the hold down bolts. On the drivers side I didn't have to because I used square nuts. On the passenger side using smaller hex nuts the metal that I was bolting to was starting to bend.

Done. When you get it together, work the rod up and down a few times to break it in because it's tight. It's better for you to break it in than your window motor.

A.J.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Good fix I was dealing with hard to crank (manual) windows on a P body last weekend but on those things everything is riveted into place The glass is riveted onto the lift assembly and the manual door lock/door pull assemblies are riveted to the inner door skin Stupid idea but it musta saved like $.03 and 3 ounces of weight per car The key still wont unlock the drivers door and the windows are still hard to crank. I suppose all the rivets have to be drilled and everything completely dissasembled to fix it.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Good fix I was dealing with hard to crank (manual) windows on a P body last weekend but on those things everything is riveted into place The glass is riveted onto the lift assembly and the manual door lock/door pull assemblies are riveted to the inner door skin Stupid idea but it musta saved like $.03 and 3 ounces of weight per car The key still wont unlock the drivers door and the windows are still hard to crank. I suppose all the rivets have to be drilled and everything completely dissasembled to fix it.
    I had to drill out all the rivets in my Dad's door to get the regulators (4) out when we got the car. Ya cost savings, F the technician. I found cutting a T into the rivet head and chipping it apart works better than drilling. Too many times when I'm trying to drill out a rivet, the bit catches it and just spins it.

A.J.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Zombie thread resurrection after 7 years!

Thanks for posting this up AJ, I just did this to the driver's door on my son's 85 New Yorker, and I had a bit of binding in the bushings, but I cut off about 1/4-3/8" of the bushing and the binding disappeared. I am guessing that the sheet metal bracket on the regulator is not quite square to the bend in the support rod and by shortening the bushing it eliminated some extra friction.

Now the window goes up and down smoothly.

Thanks again AJ!!

Warren
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    Zombie thread resurrection after 7 years!

Thanks for posting this up AJ, I just did this to the driver's door on my son's 85 New Yorker, and I had a bit of binding in the bushings, but I cut off about 1/4-3/8" of the bushing and the binding disappeared. I am guessing that the sheet metal bracket on the regulator is not quite square to the bend in the support rod and by shortening the bushing it eliminated some extra friction.

Now the window goes up and down smoothly.

Thanks again AJ!!

Warren
    I'm glad it helped.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

was this a 2 door NY'er?

cause my 2 door reliant windows have to be pulled slightly towards the front of the car to get them to go up..... especially the drivers door. im going to take it apart to see soon.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    was this a 2 door NY'er?
    Yes, 2 doors in front (and 2 more in back)...lol. I don't know how different the two door cars are than the 4 doors, but pull your door panel and post some pics and hopefully this fix will work for your Aries too!
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

I may have to look into doing that on my konvertible. Those windows are even bigger than the 2dr sedans due to the complete lack of an upper frame for them. Somewhere I have probably the last new set in existence of the original plastic inserts that I purchased from POMOCO (then Chrysler-Plymouth) in Hampton VA probably 11 or 12 years ago. Here is the bag with the PN and the extra set I bought at the same time. The konvertible window guide is oval with the long axis fore and aft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3660.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	64402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3661.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	347.3 KB 
ID:	64403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3662.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	349.6 KB 
ID:	64404  
    Last edited by 85lebaront2; 10-12-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Worn door felts may allow window to tilt and then that binds/wears the bushings. Maybe that's part of problem too.
    Windows are not weight balanced.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

The convertibles have rubber seals with a couple of small guide "bumps" with felt covering. Those are new. Left side plastic guides were shot, right side are still in decent shape, window needed adjusting and lubrication of the guide post and regulator lift slot where the roller runs. The 1986 has a nice big metal bracket behind where the lift and guide bracket that has one "precision" locating hole. This engages a slotted guide on the top of the inside of the door and positively locates the window fore and aft along with providing a solid up stop about 3/4 of the way back on the glass holds the bottom of the glass solidly in so there is no slop in and out. Once both sides were adjusted the front portion of the windows solidly sit against the weatherstrip on the windshield side frames.