Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your interest in having Chris do another run of the TU Cast Header

Mitsu booster

Re: Post your interest in having Chris do another run of the TU Cast Header

any updates on this ? i would be down for 2 headers !

thanks

Garrett booster

I will just jump in and say that I (according to Chris) ordered the last available header he had. It's an awesome piece! The only thing I would like to add, is be very careful if you do get one and have the special heat coating applied. I had to do some pretty severe grinding with a carbide bit (through the coating as well as deep into the cast iron) because it was absolutely impossible to get the nuts in. Even with doing this, I had to "angle" the header down over the studs and start the nuts a few threads at a time. I will never be able to re-torque or remove the header with it in the car. I understand that this is a custom piece, and moves the turbo to a non-standard location.

That being said, I am still glad I ordered it. I will see if I have any pictures of the modifications I had to do, and post them this evening (providing my worthless cable company shows up and restores our service).

turbo addict

I would buy one!

- - - Updated - - -

What about using the small 8mm hex I think, with built in washer nuts that where used on a stock setup?

- - - Updated - - -

It would be nice to have a wastegate boss right before the turbo cast in. After all the cylinder primaries.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    I will just jump in and say that I (according to Chris) ordered the last available header he had. It's an awesome piece!
    Funny, my friend Steve (glhs613) bought one a couple months ago and was told it was the "last available one" too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    I would buy one!

- - - Updated - - -

What about using the small 8mm hex I think, with built in washer nuts that where used on a stock setup?

- - - Updated - - -

It would be nice to have a wastegate boss right before the turbo cast in. After all the cylinder primaries.
    The one I had and the one my friend has both have external wastegate bosses cast in them. They are in the middle of the manifold though. It would be extremely hard I think to have one at the turbo inlet.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

The one I had and the one my friend has both have external wastegate bosses cast in them. They are in the middle of the manifold though. It would be extremely hard I think to have one at the turbo inlet.[/QUOTE]

I think it could be accomplished. I did so on a weld L manifold from TU.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

The one I had and the one my friend has both have external wastegate bosses cast in them. They are in the middle of the manifold though. It would be extremely hard I think to have one at the turbo inlet.

I think it could be accomplished. I did so on a weld L manifold from TU.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it can be done, but it would make things much harder to work on I'm sure. I got aggravated enough as it was, I wouldn't want anything else in the way lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I would be interested in buying one of these. But honestly I would like to see the other TU Group Buy on Maserati valve cover gaskets come to fruition before getting involved in another.

Garrett booster

I would buy one!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you can see by these photos how insanely tight the fit was. It does look great on the motor though.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Which turbo do you have there??
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Yea, that's tight!!! Looks good though!!

Garrett booster

It's a T3/T4 hyrbid, .50 A/R, and a 3 inch swingvalve put together by Chris at TU. This thing moves a TON of air - I definitely need to upgrade the stock intercooler.

Mountain Dew Live Wire ftmfw!

So when you installed the manifold, did you have to start the nuts with the manifold held out from the head a bit and thread them on incrementally to compensate for the studs being so close to the casting? Did that work allright or did you have to resort to shortening the studs or cutting some of the material off of the manifold to provide clearance? Thanks for posting pics. That is the kind of thing I would like to know about before purchase.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Chris has stated in his header installation instructions to work those nuts down incrementally. It is just the lower bolts that are in that sort of positioning. And that was designed that way to maximize clearance to the firewall.

I'll be installing what I thought was the last new cast TU header very soon....
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Sounds good. I have a Cosworth turbine housing from another vendor that I'm going to have to do essentially the same thing on to get it installed. No biggie really, just nice to know ahead of time.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Mountain Dew Live Wire ftmfw!

So when you installed the manifold, did you have to start the nuts with the manifold held out from the head a bit and thread them on incrementally to compensate for the studs being so close to the casting? Did that work allright or did you have to resort to shortening the studs or cutting some of the material off of the manifold to provide clearance? Thanks for posting pics. That is the kind of thing I would like to know about before purchase.
    I did not have to modify the studs at all, but I did have to remove material from the manifold. Without the special heat coating, this may have not been necessary. The coating is very thick and textured. I did as you said - incrementally lowered the manifold down as I was installing the nuts.

With the motor in the car, firewall clearance is excellent, and I had no trouble at all installing the full 3" exhaust, with the factory heat shielding still in place. I still wrapped the downpipe in several areas with the header-wrap, and put heat shield wrap designed for spark plug wires over my shifter cables. I plan on making many long trips with the car.

I have a ton more pics. I had to customize the turbo support bracket with this setup also. If you have any questions, or want to see how I fit all the oil & coolant lines, wastegate, etc. just let me know. I will start a new thread so I don't completely hijack this one.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. It really doesn't sound too difficult at all really. I will be watching this thread for sure because I've always liked the fact that TU went the distance and had something like this cast.

Did you have any issues with regards to the vacuum booster clearance and intake piping? Seems like I have read about some people having problems with that before, but I also have my own ideas on how to overcome that, if it does become an obstacle.

Garrett booster

No - I didn't have any issues with the brake booster. I did have to customize all the piping, I think have some shots posted here, along with the part #s for the adapters. I am lucky, in that Summit Racing's main headquarters is a 5 minute drive from my house. It's one of the few perks of Akron

Here's the link to the post about the piping I used : http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post994285
    Last edited by MoparStephen; 07-14-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added link

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Yes please start a new thread on the T.U. cast header if you have time. I recently bought a bare used one.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post

I have a ton more pics. I had to customize the turbo support bracket with this setup also. If you have any questions, or want to see how I fit all the oil & coolant lines, wastegate, etc. just let me know. I will start a new thread so I don't completely hijack this one.

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

As posted by others those nuts are hard to get to, but very doable, and the thing is ten times beefier than stock so no worries about cracking it. It put my T3/T4 .50 trim too close to my heater hose connections (l body) BUT maybe my bobble strut isnt right...honestly I didnt even care to try and fix it, it is only a summer driver( Im sure it can be fixed), dont need heat. I even had to go back to my S60 and I it worked for that as well (chrysler flanged)...I just had to work on the drain tube a tad....all in all good product.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Chris has stated in his header installation instructions to work those nuts down incrementally. It is just the lower bolts that are in that sort of positioning. And that was designed that way to maximize clearance to the firewall.

I'll be installing what I thought was the last new cast TU header very soon....
    We had set aside a few TU Cast headers for our own project cars. When plans change with the vehicles we may decide to sell off the header designated for it. We have also acted as a mediary for other customers who have moved on to different vehicles and have contacted us to look for a buyer. In the case of Steve (glhs613), he purchased an experimental manifold which was converted to a Ford style turbine flange, not a standard Chrysler flange. The OP purchased his header years ago and was fortunate to obtain one of the last cast versions that was not already spoken for.

The close tolerances of the studs to manifold was not only done for the firewall clearance. If you look back at the threads where we were posting flow bench results we saw a drop when the manifold was extended out further to clear the studs. We refuse to build a product sacrificing performance in order to simplify install. If done properly the install should be a one time thing where as performance is all the time.

Hope that explains things better,

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast