Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your interest in having Chris do another run of the TU Cast Header

Hybrid booster

Post your interest in having Chris do another run of the TU Cast Header

I spoke with Chris the beginning of last week and inquired about him doing another run of cast headers. He said I was the third person that day to ask about the headers. Chris said if there is enough interest along with committed orders, he will do another run. To me, that is great news as I would love to put one on the SL.

If you are interested please post here, also note if you are willing to commit to ordering one. All the interest in the world will not get these made if no one is willing to actually buy them. I ask that all comments be based on the cast header and the cast header only. Please do not ruin this oppurtunity for those of us that want one and understand that aftermarket parts are not always direct bolt-ons for all applications. That being said feel free to post your personal experience with the cast header. Please keep any negative comments constructive so others can make an informed decision. If you just want to just bash the part please do not post in this thread.

Chris said he will check in and post how many headers have to be ordered before he will move forward as well as an updated price should there be enough interest.

Thanks in advance for showing your interest and hopefully making this header available again.

Brian

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Post your interest in having Chris do another run of the TU Cast Header

Quote Originally Posted by bris09 View Post
    I spoke with Chris the beginning of last week and inquired about him doing another run of cast headers. He said I was the third person that day to ask about the headers. Chris said if there is enough interest along with committed orders, he will do another run. To me, that is great news as I would love to put one on the SL.

If you are interested please post here, also note if you are willing to commit to ordering one. All the interest in the world will not get these made if no one is willing to actually buy them. I ask that all comments be based on the cast header and the cast header only. Please do not ruin this oppurtunity for those of us that want one and understand that aftermarket parts are not always direct bolt-ons for all applications. That being said feel free to post your personal experience with the cast header. Please keep any negative comments constructive so others can make an informed decision. If you just want to just bash the part please do not post in this thread.

Chris said he will check in and post how many headers have to be ordered before he will move forward as well as an updated price should there be enough interest.

Thanks in advance for showing your interest and hopefully making this header available again.

Brian
    Looks like folks should keep their feedback to themselves unless it's positive.

What would the lead time be like for the order?

Hybrid booster

Not the case. Negative feedback is welcome as long as it is done in a constructive way. The purpose of this thread is to have another run of headers made. Bashing will not produce that result and I wouldn't blame Chris.

I will let Chris comment on the lead time and cost. This is just the first step, to convince Chris there is enough interest to warrant making another run.

Any chance he might do a third run of 3' swingers?

We have had 3" swingvalves in stock for a while now. They are also on our website.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    We have had 3" swingvalves in stock for a while now. They are also on our website.

Chris-TU
    This is like the third time this week I have assumed something no longer exists and been proved wrong because I never asked. LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Had a TU cast header on the Lebaron. Didn't like it because it made it harder to work on. Air intake clearance to the booster was very tight and required a custom tight 90, made it harder to get to the bobble strut top nut, oil return tube had to be slightly bent to make work even with the custom drain tube supplied for the turbo. And it did not make the turbo any easier to pull, especially since it used 2 bolts and 2 studs to mount it, all fine thread.

Main advantage to the header I could see was it made it possible to use a large aftermarket turbo without having to weld on a 90 or clock it funny or whatever. On a high power car (like 350+) it may give some power gains due to slightly less bends in the flow path. Also had a boss for a external wastegate, which is nice.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

We just checked with the foundry and they quoted us an ETA of 3-4 weeks. Quite honestly though, in all the production runs they have completed for us true ETA was usually double what they quoted. Also, since our initial run in 2006 the cost of materials has gone up about $25. per unit.

In regard to finishing the raw casting, our previous Cast Iron Header machinist is now focusing on large commercial accounts. When we spoke with him this morning he said he might be willing to do another batch for us. We are waiting on a call back from him to confirm on machining time and price. We have a second machinist who can complete the work but won't pursue him unless out first choice passes on the opportunity.

We do have a number of header installation kits still in stock and would initiate producing more once we know for sure we are moving forward.

On another note (and, without trying to open up a can of worms here) these Cast Iron Hybrid Headers will be Guaranteed to fit with Hybrid Turbochargers purchased from TU ONLY. If a customer chooses to purchase a Turbocharger elsewhere it's 100% their responsibility to do their homework to make sure it will fit in their application(s). Microsoft/Apple cannot guarantee that every single program from another vendor will work on their systems as we cannot guarantee compatibility of our Headers to other vendors Turbochargers in multiple applications. We simply don't have the bandwidth to test fit every Turbocharger brand and configuration available in every FWD body platform. If a customer has an older style TU Hybrid Turbocharger it may be necessary for them to send it in to be modified or to purchase a new compressor cover from us to insure compatibility with our CI Hybrid Header.

Over the years TU has changed Turbocharger component suppliers several times. Although our site photograph may not reflect the latest style cover we now provide, it still does not obligate Turbos Unleashed to provide compensation or support for fitment of a Turbocharger purchased elsewhere based on the photo in our description or for ANY other reason. Once again, if a customer chooses to purchase a Turbocharger elsewhere it's 100% their responsibility to do their homework to make sure it will fit in their application(s).

The Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Hybrid Header designs (including Turbocharger positioning) are different. Informing everyone that they are one in the same would be blatant misinformation. Assistance with Turbocharger fitment on our Stainless Steel Header product can be challenging to say the least. They were each hand fabricated and because of that turbocharger position did vary slightly. We supported those products when combined with Hybrid Turbochargers ONLY when purchased from TU. We can provide some technical assistance, but, Turbos Unleashed, Inc. is in no way obligated to provide Technical Support or compensation for this product when combined with a TurboCharger purchased elsewhere.

Hope that clears things up from this point forward. We will be monitoring this thread's progress and may respond from time to time. I would personally like to thank Brian for taking the initiative to possibly bring these products back from the dead. At first we were reluctant to discontinue our CI Header but with slow sales compounded by the misinformation being posted we felt that our product investment dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks,

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Had a TU cast header on the Lebaron. Didn't like it because it made it harder to work on.
    REALLY? I wish I had this one, would not have the issue I am having with the turbo wagon build..(raffle engine)

Air intake clearance to the booster was very tight and required a custom tight 90, made it harder to get to the bobble strut top nut,
    Love to see a photo of why. Is the bobble strut too long for this?

oil return tube had to be slightly bent to make work even with the custom drain tube supplied for the turbo.
    And it did not make the turbo any easier to pull, especially since it used 2 bolts and 2 studs to mount it, all fine thread.
    Seems like two stud and two bolts work work well. Would 4 studs be better? Or 4 bolts? Can't you change them?
    Is fine thread an issue?

Put my name in for one. I have a nice header but its not cast so not sure how many years it will last.

Johnny
    Last edited by Aries_Turbo; 07-15-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: changed text color so its readable
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Mitsu booster

Can someone link me to a thread with pics and stuff of this header, I am having difficulty finding any.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1st_Turbo_Car View Post
    Can someone link me to a thread with pics and stuff of this header, I am having difficulty finding any.
    Do a search and look through the really long thread. It's got the good, the bad, and the ugly for better or worse. If you stick with Chris' post in this thread it sounds like you should be all set.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I'm not committed at this point, but I do have a question about the downpipe fitment. Let's say you had a TII car with a stock exhaust manifold and turbocharger, and it was equipped with the TU 3" swingvalve. Could you bolt this cast header on and still use the same 3" downpipe you were using before? I know the exhaust will allow for some movement, but with the turbo being relocated over a bit, I wonder if the donut will still seal up or would cutting/welding be required?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post

On another note (and, without trying to open up a can of worms here) these Cast Iron Hybrid Headers will be Guaranteed to fit with Hybrid Turbochargers purchased from TU ONLY. If a customer chooses to purchase a Turbocharger elsewhere it's 100% their responsibility to do their homework to make sure it will fit in their application(s). Microsoft/Apple cannot guarantee that every single program from another vendor will work on their systems as we cannot guarantee compatibility of our Headers to other vendors Turbochargers in multiple applications. We simply don't have the bandwidth to test fit every Turbocharger brand and configuration available in every FWD body platform. If a customer has an older style TU Hybrid Turbocharger it may be necessary for them to send it in to be modified or to purchase a new compressor cover from us to insure compatibility with our CI Hybrid Header.

Over the years TU has changed Turbocharger component suppliers several times. Although our site photograph may not reflect the latest style cover we now provide, it still does not obligate Turbos Unleashed to provide compensation or support for fitment of a Turbocharger purchased elsewhere based on the photo in our description or for ANY other reason. Once again, if a customer chooses to purchase a Turbocharger elsewhere it's 100% their responsibility to do their homework to make sure it will fit in their application(s).

The Stainless Steel and Cast Iron Hybrid Header designs (including Turbocharger positioning) are different. Informing everyone that they are one in the same would be blatant misinformation. Assistance with Turbocharger fitment on our Stainless Steel Header product can be challenging to say the least. They were each hand fabricated and because of that turbocharger position did vary slightly. We supported those products when combined with Hybrid Turbochargers ONLY when purchased from TU. We can provide some technical assistance, but, Turbos Unleashed, Inc. is in no way obligated to provide Technical Support or compensation for this product when combined with a TurboCharger purchased elsewhere.

Hope that clears things up from this point forward. We will be monitoring this thread's progress and may respond from time to time. I would personally like to thank Brian for taking the initiative to possibly bring these products back from the dead. At first we were reluctant to discontinue our CI Header but with slow sales compounded by the misinformation being posted we felt that our product investment dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks,

Chris-TU
    That is about as good of a disclaimer as anyone can expect, you need to make sure it is posted in the description on your site or group buy thread or whatever, in bold letters

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    REALLY? I wish I had this one, would not have the issue I am having with the turbo wagon build..(raffle engine)

Love to see a photo of why. Is the bobble strut too long for this?

Seems like two stud and two bolts work work well. Would 4 studs be better? Or 4 bolts? Can't you change them?
    Is fine thread an issue?

Johnny
    The bobble strut is a bit too long, on a stock manifold it doesn't make a lot of difference, but with the header, it was right underneath the turbo and made it a little tough to get a wrench on and off. I cut mine off about an inch or two and it worked fine.

4 studs is mostly preference, but the header I had had on of the bolts in a hard spot to get to. I was actually more disappointed with the fine thread, the nuts stripped out easily, plus it takes a lot longer to spin them on, plus they were harder to turn with your fingers after being used the first time. The factory studs and coarse thread nuts have never given me trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'm not committed at this point, but I do have a question about the downpipe fitment. Let's say you had a TII car with a stock exhaust manifold and turbocharger, and it was equipped with the TU 3" swingvalve. Could you bolt this cast header on and still use the same 3" downpipe you were using before? I know the exhaust will allow for some movement, but with the turbo being relocated over a bit, I wonder if the donut will still seal up or would cutting/welding be required?
    I did the opposite, used the same exhaust that was installed with the header when I swapped to the ported stocker. It works fine, but it put my wideband sensor into the side of the tunnel, there was barely enough room. Wires actually rub the body. Other than that, no real issue. So I would venture to say you can use your current exhaust with the header.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1st_Turbo_Car View Post
    Here ya go... http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=tu+header
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

I have interest in ordering a few of the cast iron TU headers. One for my CSXT, one for my 86 GLH-T2, and at least one for future projects just in case we DO get them brought back and they unfortunately go bye bye again. I'm thinking of ordering the header (coated) a BB turbo w/3" swing valve and the full 3" exhaust for my "T" and just doing it right the first time. We HAVE to get these brought back for the die hard 8 valvers out there like myself!!! Please people......SHOW YOUR INTEREST!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    That is about as good of a disclaimer as anyone can expect, you need to make sure it is posted in the description on your site or group buy thread or whatever, in bold letters
    Sadly turbocharger compatibility WAS included in the description.

http://web.archive.org/web/200508182...products_id=36

However, we cannot force the customers to read, comprehend and/or accept the facts.

The bobble strut is a bit too long, on a stock manifold it doesn't make a lot of difference, but with the header, it was right underneath the turbo and made it a little tough to get a wrench on and off. I cut mine off about an inch or two and it worked fine.
    This was not an issue with the TU header. As you noted the simple fix was to machine down the all thread. We did communicate with the aftermarket bobble strut manufacturer about this issue. They informed us that the struts are made longer to fit other vehicle applications, but, agreed to provide shorter ones for TU Hybrid Header applications if a request is made prior to ordering.

4 studs is mostly preference, but the header I had had on of the bolts in a hard spot to get to. I was actually more disappointed with the fine thread, the nuts stripped out easily, plus it takes a lot longer to spin them on, plus they were harder to turn with your fingers after being used the first time. The factory studs and coarse thread nuts have never given me trouble.
    The customer is not committed to the fasteners we provide in the installation kit. If their preference is 4 studs or bolts then they would be required to pick up the additional two fasteners at their local hardware store.

We agree that the 2 passenger side fasteners are in a very challenging location, but, if the turbo is installed first without the swingvalve attached the bolts can be accessed with relative ease. (See Photos attached)

The fine thread was not our choice. We requested coarse thread but our machinist used fine thread in error. Fortunately, there were only a handful of headers affected. Aside from those first few units all headers came with coarse thread mounting hardware. We are not surprised that the nuts we provided in the kit are difficult to turn with your fingers. They are distorted-thread hex locknuts which should tighten up after only a couple rotations.

I did the opposite, used the same exhaust that was installed with the header when I swapped to the ported stocker. It works fine, but it put my wideband sensor into the side of the tunnel, there was barely enough room. Wires actually rub the body. Other than that, no real issue. So I would venture to say you can use your current exhaust with the header.
    When using a TU 3" downpipe with our Hybrid header all that's required is to remove the last bend furthest from the swingvalve and replace it with a straight piece of pipe. This should allow proper alignment with the rest of the exhaust system. This works with TU downpipes so if you have another brand there are no guarantees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5392.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	41328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5390.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	41327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5395.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	41329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5396.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	41330  
    Last edited by Chris W; 08-31-2012 at 06:00 PM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Just wondering if these are available with the standard T3 aka 'Ford' flange or only in the Chrysler T3 flange pattern.

Seems like you should be able to order it either way, or even have come with both patterns drilled and you just install the studs/bolts in the one you want.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Mitsu booster

I agree, it would be nice to be able to order it either way or have both patterns pre-drilled as mentioned above. I have one of the headers and did not realize when ordering that it would need to be drilled for the Ford bolt pattern. I had to spend a considerable amount of money to have the bolt pattern drilled and the angle of the flange changed for proper fitment. I have also experienced other clearance issues with mounting hardware, coolant/oil lines and the 3" swing valve arm without even having the engine installed in the car. All related parts including the turbo were purchased from TU. Although Chris has been good with answering questions and helping solve problems. I must say I do realize the header it is not a stock part and most aftermarket parts require some modification but it has required way more effort and unexpected costs than planned.

Hybrid booster

With mine I noticed a few things.

First this is a race part but being cast not welded a great long term part.
    second the turbine casting is a very sharp edge on the inside corner. But the hole is a lot bigger. So when using this header you port your turbine adding this nice inside curve to the turbine. The other 3 sides require a little but not a ton of work. I finish off the turbine by blending it all the way in and polish.
    third the flow bench, hooked to my big valve this header is amazing and flows with a big valve head. Ported stockers and even a tube header with 1.5" tubes failed to flow anywhere near the TU cast header. My big valve flowed 147 up from 99 CFM on the exhaust. With TU header that numbers drops to only 137. With a ported stocker, mine anyway down to 113. The tube header, 111. Stock cast manifold ran 99 CFM, dragging the exhaust port all the way back to stock lol.
    forth, I don't like the bolt setup. I'm sure it works fine but I grind the back side a bit and tap through it. Then I get a grade 8 allen bolt and tighten in from the back side. This makes a hard stud that can't back out I like.
    fith, may be something TU may not like but the TU is PERFECT for adding the ATP SV and having a nice bend lined right up with the tunnel. Removing the last bottle neck in the 8v exhaust.
    Lastly the little tube thing works but I like steel SS AN lines like the other turbo lines off the turbo.

The only thing that would be nice is off set milling the turbine pad to bring the compressor off the fire wall a bit and adding both bolt patterns. Any other work to be done like the turbine porting isn't really a con, just another race part that needs a little work to be added. I doubt anything else will compare in flow using the TU header with the ATP. But like using massive headers or massive turbo etc it is part of a package build. Add this with a big valve head, big plenum intake, and a big turbo and a big cam. And this won't be the bottle neck lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast