Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common block identifying?????

Mitsu booster

Common block identifying?????

OK my question is in Common blocks I have a 1990 Omni with a 2.2 TBI all factory and I assume it will be a common block, but I thought that common blocks have a large "C" Stamped on the block in the front under the thermostat housing general area, I went out to check my block today to see if the "C" was there it is not there so I am wondering it the common block only refers to turbo engines? cause mine being a 90 and not have the "C" on it ,or is this "C" not referring to a common block.......

Thanks

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Common block identifying?????

Some do have the big letter 'C' and some dont. FWIW I have never seen one in the all years I have been going to the yards and in buying/selling engine cores. If its all original and factory then its 99.999998% for sure a common block as chrysler switched to the CB for the 1989 model year and that would have started in august/september of 1988.

A few quick checks to ID a CB.

The rear block rail where the oil pan bolts up will be flat vs scalloped like an early engine.
    The front seal housing where it joins with the pan will be a half round shape. On a non CB its the same shape as the rear
    No fuel pump block-off plate.

turbo addict

The "C" does not refer to common block. It is only there to identify that particular casting. Your 90 should be a common block. 88 was the last year for the early style block with the exception of the Chrysler TC's which there was a delay in using up parts due to assembly location. The early blocks will have a provision for a fuel pump, which is a cover held on with two bolts. It is located between the waterpump housing and the distributor. If you can't find that on your omni, that would be another clue that you have a common block. The rear bottom of the block also has a straight line at the oil pan bolt rail. This is added material that the early blocks don't have. Pic below shows early and common block from bottom. There are other diffferences too, but for an external visual inspection. These are easy ways to tell them apart.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4011.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	41244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0177a.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	41243  

Mitsu booster

ok Thank you I will look at it After Welding class today.

I think the c's were the Mexican blocks. I remember theory back in the day was that they were stronger

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    I think the c's were the Mexican blocks. I remember theory back in the day was that they were stronger
    I have a mexico cast block, its plain in that area.

No idea then, lol

turbo addict

Yeah I remember that thread. They were thought to be the Holly Grail until several of them failed (cracked waterjacket). Another urban legend shot down (lol)!

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Yeah I remember that thread. They were thought to be the Holly Grail until several of them failed (cracked waterjacket). Another urban legend shot down (lol)!
    Doesn't shadow run a regular old t2 block? Really makes you question some of the old facts

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

C's aren't the holy grail, mine cracked, but after it was cold welded, it was fine. The best blocks are TIII or later TBI blocks.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...ck-Differences
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    Didn't top fuel bender run an old 85-86 block into the 10's? All the C blocks I've seen were 2.5 89 blocks. But that's just my experience. All the old blocks are blank. There is a build date on the bottom back passenger side of them. Just above the oil pan.

turbo addict

Doesn't shadow run a regular old t2 block? Really makes you question some of the old facts
    Rob is running block # 4501851 It looks like a early block but has webbing of the common block. These were cast in the early 90's in Mexico. I have one as well. Uses early crank, oil pan, etc. Cast in 93, long after early blocks were done in US. Here are a couple pics.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4501851 block.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	41323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4011.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	41322  

Rob is running block # 4501851 It looks like a early block but has webbing of the common block. These were cast in the early 90's in Mexico. I have one as well. Uses early crank, oil pan, etc. Cast in 93, long after early blocks were done in US. Here are a couple pics.
    Todd
    Oh really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Are the mexican blocks cross drilled?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Are the mexican blocks cross drilled?
    Yes, turbo of course.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Todd
    Is this a joke? Did you actually check this out when I was at SDAC? (cause I don't remember talking about it?)

If not, your timing is impeccable my friend! Was just talking to a Bud and telling him I didn't have the balls to drop my pan and look at the webbing to check if it's the older or if it's like the CB because it would scare the $hit out of me, and just before I'm about to go out and run! lol

So If what your saying is true, it would not only make good sense (otherwise how am I still together?) It gives me a Ton of confidence back that this Beast is going 9's!!!!!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Damn! Ya had me going there! lol Bu11$hitter!!!!!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Rob,
    I remember talking about this on this forum a couple few years back. Thought we concluded you also ran this unusual block? Remember seeing that your car had the fuel pump blockoff when I last saw the car in Waukegan, IL. I did not crawl under car to verify block #'s though. Without a jack, your car is a bit too low for that (lol)! Easy enough to check without dropping pan, just look for that straght edge (added material) where oil pan bolts up (like common blocks) and of course the block casting date and casting #. It will be identical to pic is post #3. Gary Donovan told me has one of these blocks. At least a couple others on this forum also have them. They are rare, but they are definitely out there. They where used in US as replacement warranty blocks for early TII applications after CB's were in production.
    I also run the garden variety early block in one of my GLHT's. Not making the HP you are, but hardly a low HP car. Quacks GLHS Masi also ran early block that was a easy mid 11 second car on very low boost. Of course both have steel cranks in them. Yes, Bruce Bender was also running early block and running in 10's. I have no issues running early block along with steel crank in a street car. I've seen exactly one early block crack in the #3 main journal area. I've also seen a couple CB let go in this area. Think Brian Slowe hurt one of his blocks in main webbing area years ago.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Is this a joke? Did you actually check this out when I was at SDAC? (cause I don't remember talking about it?)

If not, your timing is impeccable my friend! Was just talking to a Bud and telling him I didn't have the balls to drop my pan and look at the webbing to check if it's the older or if it's like the CB because it would scare the $hit out of me, and just before I'm about to go out and run! lol

So If what your saying is true, it would not only make good sense (otherwise how am I still together?) It gives me a Ton of confidence back that this Beast is going 9's!!!!!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    C's aren't the holy grail, mine cracked, but after it was cold welded, it was fine. The best blocks are TIII or later TBI blocks.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...ck-Differences
    Most of those which I've seen have been mexican castings.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Are those "odd" blocks the tall deck TBI blocks? I'm thinking I'd like to find one of these tall deck blocks, but I imagine they'd be pretty hard to find, so if these are more common, perhaps I would do well to set my sights a bit "lower" so to speak...

Mike

PS Does anyone here know if the "tall deck" blocks had the same pan rail as the CB? I'm trying to hone my JY, "tall block" vision!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast