Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch problem and need opinions!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Clutch problem and need opinions!

Hey, I just fired my Rampage up tonight as a T2 for the first time today, and it runs perfect! but i am having problems with my new clutch i installed. Its a T2/T3 hybrid clutch from TU, and the original flywheel was resurfaced.. Anyways my problem is my clutch is not fully disengaging.. I cant put it in any gear while its idling with the clutch depressed,(doesnt grind, but the shifter will not move from the neutral position) but if i turn the car off put it in first with the clutch depressed and start it up it will inch forward a little bit.. i also took it for a quick drive this way and it shifted perfect when the car was moving. The things i have checked.. The clip on the tranny clutch lever is installed correctly. All the teeth are intact on the adjuster under the pedal (the black plastic one, and the white one) I made sure i put the splines back in the same spot on the clutch lever to throw out bearing fork. While troubleshooting the problem i noticed that the clutch cable seems to loose and the white adjuster under the pedal is not even moving up and meshing with the black plastic piece.. Do you thing my cable is stretched that much? It shifted fine before i replaced the old worn out clutch so thats why i am confused on this. I also jacked the front of the car up and the tires spin while the clutch pedal is depressed and in first. I also put like 5 shims on the cable to see if it would help and it still wouldnt shift out of nuetral.. I need some opinions on this problem a.s.a.p because i plan on going to a car show this weekend.

Thanks Chris from TU for all the help as well

Does the Dodge Dealer still sell a clutch cable?
    Randy

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Clutch problem and need opinions!

The tensioner should self adjust to a point, have you tried pulling up on the clutch pedal a few times?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

I was just going to say, it's stupid, but sometimes it takes a lot of pumping of the clutch pedal to get it to adjust properly. Check all your clips along the clutch cable, and make sure it's not caught up on anything, like say intercooler plumbing.

I tried pulling up on the clutch cable a few times, but i dont think the self adjuster is moving up and grabbing the teeth on the other peice.. when i push the pedal in it seems like the clutch is just starting to disengage half way down. Even when i had those 5 shims in (almost 1/2" thick) the adjuster was still not taking up any slack.

Maybe my clutch cable is stretched so much that it was "just" working with the old clutch? and now the old cable cant compensate for the new clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse
    I was just going to say, it's stupid, but sometimes it takes a lot of pumping of the clutch pedal to get it to adjust properly. Check all your clips along the clutch cable, and make sure it's not caught up on anything, like say intercooler plumbing.
    I have tried lots, but the cable seems to loose for the self adjuster on the pedal to even grab..

I can push down on the clutch lever on the tranny very easy and the clutch pedal moves up while i do this.. is that normal?

I just tried removing the splined clutch lever arm on the tranny to put it in a lower spot for more tension, but it has a special key way, and cannot be moved,

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

It could be the cable is stretched combined with the machining of the flywheel and now you have used up all the freeplay. How much was removed off the flywheel?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I am not to sure.. but i will call the place tomorrow and see how much they took off. I dont think they would of taken to much material off because the flywheel was in good shape, and was never resurfaced before. I will try getting a new cable from the dealer, and if i cant find one new i will get a used one are shim my current one.. I just want to drive the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage
    I am not to sure.. but i will call the place tomorrow and see how much they took off. I dont think they would of taken to much material off because the flywheel was in good shape, and was never resurfaced before. I will try getting a new cable from the dealer, and if i cant find one new i will get a used one are shim my current one.. I just want to drive the thing!
    Your local parts stores should carry them. If not, I have a brand new one I could sell you.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I will call around tomorrow. If i cant find one i will buy yours. Is yours for an L-body? is it from the Dodge dealer? ..and how much do you want for it?

I ordered one from the Dodge dealership today, and i will be picking it up tomorrow, so i hope this fixes my problem. I know getting the cable off of the pedal assembly is going to be a PITA.. any tips on this?

Thanks, Randy

turbo addict

Start from the clutch lever first. Work your way back to the clutch pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe
    Start from the clutch lever first. Work your way back to the clutch pedal.

Thanks for the tip! I just wanted to let you guys know the white adjuster under the clutch pedal that the cable attatches to is all the way to the bottom of the pedal, and i dont think its even touching the teeth on the black peice. I can push the white peice up and the spring just pulls it back down to the bottom of the pedal. shouldnt it catch the teeth on the black peice when i do this? all my symptoms are leaning towards a stretched cable because the adjuster is maxed out ..

The TII/TIII hybrid clutch is an off the shelf product that includes the disc for one application with the pressure plate from another. By combining these two products we are able to offer a proven product for stock/mild street TD applications at a very affordable price. The components of this product are produced by one of the largest manufacturers of clutch components in the world. Unlike TU's Hi-Performance clutches, our clutch vendor does not build these products but only re-packages them together with the matching Throw Out bearing and alignment tool. I contacted my vendor at home today so Turbo Rampage and I could have a conference call about this issue. The owner of the company will be personally testing a new hybrid clutch on Monday and express mailing it to the customer. We have sold over 75 sets of these clutches since we began offering them and have not had any issues with them in the past. Since we have not seen the customers clutch yet we do not know what actually caused the problem. Once we have had an opportunity to inspect it we will have more information on what the issue may have been. If it turns out to be a defect in the product our vendor will pursue the manufacture for a refund and TU will somehow compensate our customer for the inconvenience. For now, we are just focusing on taking care of the customer right away so he can get back on the road.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Update

Hey, i just wanted to update everyone on the problem with my clutch. It looks like my pressure plate was damaged somewhere during the shipping proccess, and i never really noticed it until now.. maybe dropped at customs when they opened the box? One of the three straps that hold the friction surface to the pressure plate body had a a very little bend in it, and i am sure this was the problem with my clutch not disengaging.. Chris at Turbos Unleashed has been very helpfull! on this problem and has sent me a new clutch assembly to replace this damaged one free of charge. Nobody has to worry about the products Chris sells, because their top notch! And if their happens to be a problem he will help you through it.

Hopefully my Rampage will be running this weekend.

Thanks, Randy

Hybrid booster

It's good to see a vendor that worried about a customers problem.

Awesome, I am getting all teary eyed,

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

great to hear it's getting worked out
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Garrett booster

Is it up and running? If not let me know. I had the same problem. My clutch would not release because the flywheel was not flat. It was out of flat over .030" Had it re cut, and everything worked after that. If you have it pulled apart you may want to check how flat your flywheel is before reassembly.

Cool Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage
    .. maybe dropped at customs when they opened the box? One of the three straps that hold the friction surface to the pressure plate body had a a very little bend in it, and i am sure this was the problem with my clutch not disengaging..
    Bent straps can also be caused by hard downshifting (accidental or otherwise). The PP then moves over slightly and rubs the raised center of the disc and thus no release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast