Thread: Turbo fitting size and routing questions.

turbo addict

Turbo fitting size and routing questions.

Ok so first thing I need to know is what for fitting do I need to get from the TU bent tubing for the water line on the front of the head. Is this jic? If so what size? Also my plan is to go from that piece of tubing and build the rest out of AN fittings. My question is on the backside of the chra will 2 90 deg fittings get me up and over the chra toward the front?

Also the oil feed is 1/4 npt and the water fittings on the chra is 3/8 npt. And the water return on the back of the block is 1/4 npt. Does all this seem correct. From my searching this is what I gathered but I didn't see any pictures of the way the water lines are attached to the back side of the turbo. Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Turbo fitting size and routing questions.

I don't think I have any good pics of the fittings on my turbo. I made them from AN lines.

The coolant feed at the block is indeed 1/4" NPT feed to the turbo which is 3/8ths NPT. The head is a 3/8th NPT fitting too.

The oil line is 1/8th NPT at both ends. I had a hydraulic supply place make me a line for $20 while I waited once.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Didn't all the fittings come with the line kit?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Didn't all the fittings come with the line kit?
    Didnt get them from a vendor but long story short no. And it was only coolant lines and that top one looks bulbus anyways. So I have decided to make my own seeing as I have to make oil cooler and do fuel lines anyways.

---------- Post added at 04:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I don't think I have any good pics of the fittings on my turbo. I made them from AN lines.

The coolant feed at the block is indeed 1/4" NPT feed to the turbo which is 3/8ths NPT. The head is a 3/8th NPT fitting too.

The oil line is 1/8th NPT at both ends. I had a hydraulic supply place make me a line for $20 while I waited once.

What for fittings do you use to get to the back of the coolant feed on the top hose. 2 90s? Or is a 180 fitting gonna be able to fit around it.

It's a 45* NPT/AN fitting coming off of the block to a 90* fitting on the engine side of the turbo. That's obviously connected to a AN/NPT adapter, another one of those on the firewall side of the turbo, then another 90* fitting and it's off to the front of the head. You can see how I handled it at the front. You can just run the line at its tightest radius to the water box, but I like the look of the 90* turn.

turbo addict

I think some of my sizes are different since its a turbonetics turbo. One is 1/4 and the other 3/8 for the coolant on the turbo. The oil feed seems to be 1/8 npt

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I think some of my sizes are different since its a turbonetics turbo. One is 1/4 and the other 3/8 for the coolant on the turbo. The oil feed seems to be 1/8 npt
    That's interesting. My T-netics unit is 3/8th on both sides. I'm assuming that the 1/4 is on the feed side?

turbo addict

That's interesting. My T-netics unit is 3/8th on both sides. I'm assuming that the 1/4 is on the feed side?
    I'm unsure cause the turbos at the fab shop so we can make a new wastegate bracket for it. But since it's only the water I don't really think it matters to much if one is smaller than the other. Not sure which way the water flow is anyways cause I never worried about it.

The water flows out of the block and into the head.

The factory lines were different sizes IIRC. Smaller from the block to the turbo and larger from the turbo to the head.

turbo addict

The water flows out of the block and into the head.

The factory lines were different sizes IIRC. Smaller from the block to the turbo and larger from the turbo to the head.
    so it flows from the rear then to the front. That's what I was thinking but was unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    so it flows from the rear then to the front. That's what I was thinking but was unsure.
    That is correct.

turbo addict

A pic of how the coolant tube goes around the top oil line and to the back Of the chra would answer a lot of questions lol

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sorry I don't know the sizes, but here are some pics from the TU kit

Here is how I did it, I offset the coolant line and everything tightened up fine

In this pic it shows how the coolant line goes directly over the oil feed line

Hope you find these helpful

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    Sorry I don't know the sizes, but here are some pics from the TU kit

Here is how I did it, I offset the coolant line and everything tightened up fine

In this pic it shows how the coolant line goes directly over the oil feed line

Hope you find these helpful
    I'm thinking i can use 2 90deg fittings out of the backside of the water and it should work. In an fittings that is

You can run one 90* fitting and bend the line up to the front. The line you see in my pic is a 90* off of the center section and by the time it passes over the turbo it's no problem. I have the battery in my camera now so I'll try and snap a shot or two for you tomorrow.

IIRC I may have written up a post or two on how to do this back when. I'll search for it.

turbo addict

You can run one 90* fitting and bend the line up to the front. The line you see in my pic is a 90* off of the center section and by the time it passes over the turbo it's no problem. I have the battery in my camera now so I'll try and snap a shot or two for you tomorrow.

IIRC I may have written up a post or two on how to do this back when. I'll search for it.
    Good to kno. There isn't much clearance with the 2 piece intake. The oil line and wastegate actuator was my concern

Doing it with the one 90' goes right over everything so there is no clearance issue. You can remove all the lines with the turbo still on the head too which is a bonus.

Here is a thread I started a little over half a decade ago. Time flies, but the pic someone posted in that thread is still relevant. I use the 45* NPT to and adapter so that it's a more natural transition to the turbo and I made my line so that it doesn't have the kink in it.