Thread: 3 speed auto Trans mods all in one place

Threaded View

turbo addict

3 speed auto Trans mods all in one place

Is there a place where all the Auto trans mods (vb or internal) are together? If not we need to collect it all and post it in this thread and then post it in the new KC.

I have spent some time searching so I can do some mods to my minivan transmission. The problem I am running into is threads are referencing procedures without providing links or giving incomplete instructions. I hear a lot of "backyard VB mods" but I still haven't seen a proper how to. I found a thread talking about drilling some holes with broken image links, then I found a thread with images but no diagram and no instructions, I also found a thread about removing a ball but no mention of which one. Also it seems as if there are different ways around some of the mods like the Accumulator, VB, and governor all have multiple ways of modding.

Valve body mods: With a stock valve body what holes need drilled(with pictures), what ball needs removed(also with pictures), What to do with line pressure(can provide process for stock clutch pack or modified clutch pack), and any spring/valve mods. Any alternative separator plate drilling needs kept separate.

Governor: Springs, weights, and grinding -what maybe some pictures with some examples of what works on stock stuff.

Internal trans mods: Mainly clutch pack stuff like the 5 clutch setups and decreasing clutch pack clearance, Also race mods like pinion cup bracing and Needle bearing mods. Some of the simple stuff too like the heavy duty band strut and other mods too.

Torque Converter: Aftermarket options listed, and some stock stall speeds listed, neon torque converter and lockup instructions could help too.

Transfer gears/FD: I know there is a KC article already but if we can get it all together it would be nice

LSD installs: Some options like the OBX+ spacer, peloquin, or race spool.

Any other mods that you can think of that should be included feel free to post, I dont think any rebuild info other than clutch pack mods should be needed. If you are doing a rebuild the ATSG manual is a must ( I have a PDF somewhere Ill have to find it and post it)

I have spare clutch packs, and a valve body on my bench right now so if any pictures are needed of the mods I can provide them.
    Last edited by shackwrrr; 08-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.