Thread: installing trans cooler / removing AC?

Hybrid booster

installing trans cooler / removing AC?

not much room in the spirit for rad, condenser, trans cooler and soon to be IC

all of the ac is intact but since the belt is gone i assume it does not work.

my plan is to remove what i need form the ac to run and replace it with something smaller and hopefully more efficient (condenser) is the spring.

any tips on removal? i searched a bit but came up short

or other ideas on trans cooler install?

89 spirit ES

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Re: installing trans cooler / removing AC?

Three ideas, K cars with automatics used a long narrow transmission cooler in front of the condenser. Older minivans used a small or occasionally larger cooler in front of the radiator. Some of the later K based chassis cars had a water to oil coller in the driver's side radiator tank. PM Archion (new member) he can tell you what radiators and even condensers might do the job. If you are planning on converting to R134a, you need all the condenser you can get.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Its been done, there is more room than you think.

You can't downsize the condensor, if fact, you want bigger. The condensor sheds heat so if you make it too small, your a/c won't get cold. 134A runs hotter than R12 so you need to run at least the stock size.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

you guys are right as usual

Its been done, there is more room than you think.

there is room

does it matter if the trans cooler is mouted tall wise so the two lines run downward, or do they have to run so they exit left or right?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kryp2nitE View Post

does it matter if the trans cooler is mouted tall wise so the two lines run downward, or do they have to run so they exit left or right?
    It can be mounted anyway you want, theres pressure pushing the fluid thru so gravity isn't an issue here. Aftermarket ones tend to flow more air and also remove more heat so there a better option.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info