Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Ever Used Intake Spacers????

Garrett booster

Has Anyone Ever Used Intake Spacers????

Hey,
    I'm curious if any 2.2/2.5 Turbo(s) have used any intake spacers on their car?

http://www.nwpengineering.com/images...atched-NWP.jpg

http://www.nwpengineering.com/images...ers-CU-NWP.jpg

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Intake Spacers????

There was an active thread about this last week if I'm not mistaken. One of our members made a few for the two piece intake manifold and stated that he'll never do so again due to the difficulty (mainly messy nature) of machining phenolic.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Never did a B2B but had one on the old 2.2L setup in the Z

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spacer.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	41125

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Never did a B2B but had one on the old 2.2L setup in the Z

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spacer.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	41125
    You didn't test it right anyway!

In all seriousness, did you make that yourself? If so what did you use to do it?

turbo addict

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me..._1384.jpg.html

As Cordes said, never again. You could pull into the garage after sitting in traffic in 100 degree heat, pop the hood and rest your arm right on the plenum.

turbo addict

Looks interesting! Where do you get the material from?

Garrett booster

That one looks more plastic than phenolic.....The way I would install it is with 2 gaskets, instead if with RTV....But that looks sorta homemade....It's best to protect your lungs when machining or shaping this stuff since it's carcinogenic when fragmented... what did you mean by "B2B"????

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I think I woke up this forum.....

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Vader85 View Post
    what did you mean by "B2B"????
    Back to back

That's all I have to contribute, please continue

turbo addict
    Thought about delrin but its Max working temp is 185f, a little low. Delrin cutting boards at Sam's club are cheap.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

There are companys that sell this stuff....
    http://www.sdplastics.com/phenolic.html

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

The point of the spacer is to insulate the upper from the heat being conducted from the lower for the purpose of lowering intake temps. Lower temps mean higher density and that means more power for a given cubic foot of air.

This being said, phenolic has been the choice for many commercial applications, but you can just as easily use marine grade plywood! It may seem crude, but all it has to do is insulate the two pieces from each other(and seal). Any insulating material that can deal with typical under-hood temps will work. Heck, a stack of gaskets would do the trick, if you could keep them from leaking...

I'm curious as to the possibilities of adding a spacer between the head and the lower... If you can keep the radiated heat off the lower, it should run much cooler as well, the spacer between the upper and lower might become redundant, or the head/intake spacer might just make it that much more effective... Guess I need to bust out the wood working tools!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I have to wonder how many degree the spacer can help drop.

For example,

The highest temperature due to heat soak I have ever seen on my intake charge sensor is around 225F. That's with the battery temperature sensor was around 130F.

Once my car is moving, within minutes, the temperature quickly drops to 150F - 170F. That's being out here in Arizona summer, which is 110F-120F

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    The point of the spacer is to insulate the upper from the heat being conducted from the lower for the purpose of lowering intake temps. Lower temps mean higher density and that means more power for a given cubic foot of air.

This being said, phenolic has been the choice for many commercial applications, but you can just as easily use marine grade plywood! It may seem crude, but all it has to do is insulate the two pieces from each other(and seal). Any insulating material that can deal with typical under-hood temps will work. Heck, a stack of gaskets would do the trick, if you could keep them from leaking...

I'm curious as to the possibilities of adding a spacer between the head and the lower... If you can keep the radiated heat off the lower, it should run much cooler as well, the spacer between the upper and lower might become redundant, or the head/intake spacer might just make it that much more effective... Guess I need to bust out the wood working tools!

Mike
    Have you ever used plywood in a application like this? Spacers would be easy to make on my scroll saw.... What would you seal the wood with? What about oil affecting it? My interest is peaked!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I've used them for carbs, not this specific application, but the principle is the same. I forget what was used to seal them, if we used anything at all... we might have just saturated it with something, I can't really recall.

The most important thing is to use high quality plywood, which is why I mention marine grade ply, it is pretty much impervious to most things as it comes as well as being made of high quality laminates bonded with much more durable "glue".

It is much more expensive, but lesser grades will not hold up or seal well. Standard gaskets with a thin layer of RTV (emphasis on thin), should be able to seal up any minor imperfections in the ply, with the RTV keeping things in place. It might be a good idea to use pins to locate everything to prevent over-hang that will kill air flow.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I don't think it will do much on an 8 valve as the exhaust manifold is right below it, and of course, the one piece you can only space it off the head. I think there are better gains to insulating the bottom from the exhaust and turbo heat.

Also using a spacer on a 2 piece will affect the tuning,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I'm actually thinking of trying this for my neon. One at the head and one between the intake halves.

Garrett booster

you can purchase phenolic sheet or stock now via the internet....

turbo addict

GLHSLHT2, you have worked with this before, other then being messy is it easy to work with? Is it something that can be cut with a scroll saw and drilled by hand?

turbo addict

Did some research on my own, looks like I can do this on my scroll saw pretty easy. Also looks like it might work good for RC car projects. Is this the right stuff? What about thickness?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grade-LE-Phe...item20c58626df

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You didn't test it right anyway!

In all seriousness, did you make that yourself? If so what did you use to do it?
    LOL...

Got it from Tim Kish with the 2-pc intake that he had on his CSX years ago that ended up on the Z

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast