Thread: Remove small panel to change drivers side oil seal at differential/CV joint on A-413?

Garrett booster

Remove small panel to change drivers side oil seal at differential/CV joint on A-413?

On A-413 three speed automatic I am changing the oil seals at the differential where the CV axles pass through the case. Have not done the driver's side before. Now have done passenger side in 91 Acclaim and 94 Shadow. On the Acclaim I had to remove the passenger side housing that holds the seal but on the Shadow I got just enough clearance to get under and whack the new seal in with a hammer and piece of wood.

Question is: there appears to be no way to get to the seal on the driver's side to either pry it out or to press it back in. Does the small panel that contains the seal come off of the side of the differential to remove and replace the seal? 4 bolts above the seal and two bolts under the seal. And if the panel comes off does it need a gasket or can I use a sealant to make a gasket on the part after cleaning it?

This is my daughter's high school transportation DD 94 Shadow and I have completed the passenger side with:
    diff/CV oil seal
    rebuilt CV axle
    new grease seal at the back of the knuckle
    new A arm bushings
    new strut
    new strut mount

Everything is removed from the driver's side but I need to change the oil seal before I put it all back together with new or rebuilt parts like on the passenger side.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Remove small panel to change drivers side oil seal at differential/CV joint on A-

That "panel" is the bearing retainer for the diff. If you remove the axle, use a pry bar and some patience, you can get it out. I use a generic bearing install to drive the seal in. You can remove the housing by removing the bolts then carefully prying the housing out, then you'll have to make sure its all squeaky clean putting it back together with RTV.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Re: Remove small panel to change drivers side oil seal at differential/CV joint on A-

TurboVanMan: Thank You. Please some clarification. And anyone else who knows the A-413 please comment!

The "Panel" on the driver's side that holds the oil seal for the CV axle.
    I'm assuming that your comment about use a pry bar and some patience and you can get it out was directed to this panel on the driver's side and not to the oil seal itself?

Does it have to be removed to replace the oil seal or is there any way of replacing the seal with the panel in place?

When it comes out is there any risk of something in the diff moving inside because it supports it?
    Or, does it just cover something and the panel can be cleaned and replaced when the oil seal has been changed?

Your comment about the "Housing" I'm assuming is directed to the passenger side. Yes, when I removed it on my son's Acclaim I saw the bearing seat inside. After replacing the oil seal, I cleaned both surfaces with brake parts cleaner and then put it back on with Form-A-Gasket. No leaks this far, 2 years.

My daughter is unclear on this but she may have put the trans into park when the vehicle was moving. The car is still up on jackstands. It has not been on the ground yet with new CV axles. The problem that produced this repair effort was clicking like a bad CV axle when moving, louder when braking, and louder when turning to the right. There was noticeable movement on the inside joint of the replaced passenger side CV axle that resulted in this repair work.

While on the vehicle and after removal from the vehicle both hubs tested without free play, notchiness, or noise when turned.(And I did have a bad L-body hub before so I know what that feels like) With new CV axles installed, turning one CV axle results in smooth rotation of the other axle in the opposite direction with no noise from the differential when both axles are installed without a load because the vehicle is jacked up.

Comments?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Depending on previous owners, the bearings could be worn. The bearing retainers are on both sides, the passenger side is aluminum and the drivers side is steel as you can see. If you remove it, nothing falls out, it can't, but inspect the bearing.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

http://www.harborfreight.com/seal-puller-91352.html

something like that should work.