Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overheating Spirit R/T

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Overheating Spirit R/T

They are the casting plugs in the cylinder head. The factory installed large steel screw-in plugs into an aluminum head; two metals with different expansion rates was a bad idea. The best way to properly deal with them is to have the metal ones taken out, and aluminum ones welded in by a competent shop. Or just deal with having a minor coolant leak. It won't "give out", the damage is already done. The downsides of that are: The coolant does have a tendency to pool in the spark plug wells and short the plugs out, so you may have to clean them up regularly. It also reduces the ability of your cooling system to maintain adequate pressure, which doesn't affect the mean temperature, but does lower the boiling point. As long as the rest of your cooling system is in good shape, you should be fine. Some have even gone to a lower pressure radiator cap and reduced the amount of coolant leaking out of the head.

Hybrid booster

Ahhh, thank you for the info. As long as they wont give out I guess I'll just keep a bottle of coolant in the trunk and keep an eye on the plugs. I bought this car with the understanding for the fiancé being it wouldn't turn into the project my red car has been. Machine shop work will certainly bring the hammer down lol.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89FerrariShelby View Post
    Ahhh, thank you for the info. As long as they wont give out I guess I'll just keep a bottle of coolant in the trunk and keep an eye on the plugs. I bought this car with the understanding for the fiancé being it wouldn't turn into the project my red car has been. Machine shop work will certainly bring the hammer down lol.
    Those plugs Adam mentioned are a common problem, but the one I was referring to is actually a small pressed in plug on the deck side of head. You would have to remove the head and take it to a machine shop to have it fixed up if that is indeed where the coolant ending up on top of the transaxle case is coming from. If I'm wrong, somebody please feel free to correct me here.

There is also a chance that the coolant you are seeing there is coming from the exhaust manifold studs. The two outer-most exhaust manifold studs on the TIII head thread into the coolant jacket of the cylinder head and can seep coolant if they get loose.

Ah, didn't read the post carefully enough. Is that a regular core plug, like in the cylinder block?

Hybrid booster

So i still have the fluid over the tranny, been driving it anyways and just filling as necessary.

However Now it appears my radiator is crap, there's a layer of coolant on the bottom and a pool of coolant under the front of the car. Are these easy to find/install?

Was trying to avoid a car payment, but i'm getting tired of purchasing a gallon of coolant a week lol.

If it's overheating,the coolant near the rad might be coolant being spit out of the overflow bottle. Is it bubbling in the bottle behind the radiator when it's hot?

Hybrid booster

I thought so Pat, which is why I didn't get too worried. The major seepage seems to come and go, so I presumed it was like you said, however, it happened again yesterday and I'm thinking its not the overflow. I did manage to grab a video, looks like the radiator to me? I don't think this explains the coolant on the back of the tranny, but it does explain why its disappearing faster than it used to.

Radiator is leaking.

The coolant on the trans is either the headgasket, a leak from the coolant return line from the turbo or a leak from something to do the water box on the side of the head.

Hybrid booster

Do you know if it's possible to get a new radiator? are they hard to replace?

sorry, better phrasing... would an AutoZone replacement be fine? I've done a radiator on a 3.0 spirit back in the day... is it significantly harder than that?

Garrett booster

The last time I looked (been a few years now) TIII radiators are specialty ones that you can't get anywhere. Autozone (and any other shop) will gladly say they have it and then get you one for a TII with the Rad/intercooler combo that won't fit. Turbos Unleashed had some custom all aluminum ones made that would bolt in, but I'm not sure if they have any left or are planning another run.

Hybrid booster

crapsicles.... thanks for the heads up... the TU ones are gone...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

As stated above no parts store will have a TIII rad. Your best bet is to have yours recored locally. Other than that you can put out a WTB ad on here. I'm sure you'll get a response, but you'll have to buy a rad for more than you would pay to have yours recored in all likelihood.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Post a WTB ad stating that you would be willing to buy a NICE Spirit R/T radiator for $400. That might get some people out there to let a nice one go.

Don't go for a used one though, unless it is way nice and pressure checked *and* from a reputable member. At this day and age you will probably have to get it recored anyway $$.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Don't go for a used one though, unless it is way nice and pressure checked *and* from a reputable member. At this day and age you will probably have to get it recored anyway $$.
    Ditto. I have three of them and they either leak because they are rotten or are clogged up & don't cool worth a darn.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Find a old school radiator shop that can and will record your radiator will be your best bet, if your radiator is recore-able.

Problem is a lot of shops won't do radiators with plastic end tanks.

Hybrid booster

So I'd rather expose my ignorance here than at the radiator shop and get raked over the coals on price because they know i'm an idiot. Pretty sure I only need the "left" for the radiator shop correct? The right piece is attached to the radiator/IC assembly...but i'm thinking it's something to do with the AC, not the engine cooling? Just want to confirm =)

Correct

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123