Thread: 93 Dakota turbo swap ECU options

turbo addict

93 Dakota turbo swap ECU options

I'm going to look at a 93 Dakota it is a TBI 5 speed setup. I have as my daily driver a 87 T&C that the body is very tired on. Is it possible to swap the 87 electronics over to the truck? Would it be easier to swap in a SBEC and some sort of turbo harness? I do have a known good 90' SBEC out of my old van. I also have a decent mini harness for the SBEC I believe. Any information appreciated. As I understand it I would also need to fabricate a intake and exhaust manifold?

Re: 93 Dakota turbo swap ECU options

It took me about 4-5 hours to lay a turbo SMEC harness over the TBI harness in my 95 Dakota once you get down to it there aren't that many wires that you need to make the motor run. Sort those out and leave the rest alone. A SMEC or SBEC would be the easiest since most of the wires you'll need to splice in will be at least in the general area, where with the LM/PM you'll have to find a place for both of the modules. The time consuming part with my dakota was that the computer is on the passengers fender well instead of the drivers so all of the Turbo harness wires needed to be shortened, soldered, and heat shrunk. Then taped. Get two wiring diagrams for the doner vehicle and dakota. I labeled every wire with some masking tape and a sharpie as to what pin they came out of and if they were from the dakota or the daytona harness. then you can go through each diagram starting at the top and work your way down.