Thread: heim joint conversion - lubrication?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

heim joint conversion - lubrication?

One of the first things I did to my GLHS after purchase in 04 was to convert the shift linkage to heim joints. This turned out great except periodically the shifter has been sticky shifting out of 5th - going into 5th it is fine. A little annoying, but with all the other stuff I had yet to do on the car I didn't worry about it. Now that stuff is all done and I'm trying to iron out any remaining little issues, I drove the car this week and it seemed a little worse so last night I took some time to investigate the issue.

The first thing I did was make sure the gear selector adjustment was correct. I flipped the pin on top of the transmission, lined up the mark on the gear selector and shifter, and torqued to spec. I lubricated the gear selector too while it was out of the shift tube. This helped a little bit but didn't 100% solve the problem.

After that I hit all the heim joints with spray silicone lubricant. Then the problem went away. However, it sat for a few hours it seem to get a little sticky again just when coming out of 5th.

I thought heim joints were supposed to be dry. Should I lubricate them to resolve this issue? If so, what would be best? It seems like there is just enough bind to cause an issue now and then.

Any input appreciated.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: heim joint conversion - lubrication?

I believe they are supposed to be dry. The ones in my car all came from Speedwaymotors.com, and aside from some minor squeaking haven't given me any problems in 5 years. Then again I tend to beat the Charger mercilessly, so maybe I'm just used to shifting hard.

If you look through Speedway's catalog, I think they have options for joints that are nylon lined and/or self lubricating, and also sell seals to keep dirt and debris out. Or if you're going to swap the parts out anyway, maybe look into the quick-release ones that Jon Trotter found, and that Great Lakes Hot Rod sells with their kit. I think Speedway also sells similar ones, not sure. I've got the Great Lakes kit for my GLHS, but I'm still a long way away from having that going, so I don't know how different they'll be from the old heim joints.

I did some reading on this during my lunch today. Like anything car related, there were a lot of different opinions.

Some heim joints are teflon lined, which some said can be lubed, some said don't lube them.

Some other heim joints have grease fittings and can have these special washers that go over them to keep debris out. I think these are the seals you are talking about.

Apparently on the heim joints like I have using grease is a bad idea because dirt and debris stick to the debris. Even if I used those seals I think that could be an issue.

I saw several suggestions to use something graphite based so that it lubes but dries. I think I am going to try PB Blaster Garage door lube. It comes in a spray, which I think would be easiest. 1-4 is fine and going into 5th is fine, it is just downshifting out of 5th where there is a little hitch in the giddy up. And since it isn't all the time, it makes me think a little lube might help.

If anyone has other suggestions though would like to hear them.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would try the method which you're going to use. If that doesn't work I would try some Kroil down there to see if that frees everything up. I would try to blow out all oil or grease and use a dry lube. I agree that the oil/grease will just pick up stuff and get sticky after a while. Especially in a car not driven often.

Hybrid booster

Possible the joints are just getting worn out? I know they wear out in suspension components.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Some heim joints are teflon lined . . .
    Sorry, I mean to say teflon. I had nylon on my mind from another thread.

One thing that did occur to me, since I just fixed it again tonight- Does your shifter move at all under accel/decel? My front motor mount has a tendency to loosen up, at which point the shifting does become noticeably less smooth. Tightening the mount back up makes a big difference.

No my mounts seem to be ok. I got the lube will test it out here shortly.

Before putting the lube on I noticed that while there was play in the shift rod heims, there was no play in the heim coming off the main shift tube. I suspect my binding issue may be at this joint. I am going to readjust the tube length here. I can see by the angle of the bolt it is a bit short and needs to be turned out towards the engine a couple of turns. Then I will lube and see how that does.

Before putting the lube on I noticed that while there was play in the shift rod heims, there was no play in the heim coming off the main shift tube. I suspect my binding issue may be at this joint. I am going to readjust the tube length here. I can see by the angle of the bolt it is a bit short and needs to be turned out towards the engine a couple of turns. Then I will lube and see how that does.
    That area was a huge problem for me too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZW76...ilpage#t=1037s

I just got done fooling with it.

As I suspected, the heim on the main shift tube was the issue. It was not moving freely. I had to sand it down to get it to move freely. I used fine sandpaper tube on a dremel and then fine sanded it with 800 grit after that. I also adjusted it out a couple of turns.

After getting it lubed and back together, I adjusted the shift linkage per factory spec and all is well. This will be nice as the car had been doing this for a while but other stuff kept me from getting to it. The heim joint conversion so tremendously improves the shift quality.

I just got done fooling with it.

As I suspected, the heim on the main shift tube was the issue. It was not moving freely. I had to sand it down to get it to move freely. I used fine sandpaper tube on a dremel and then fine sanded it with 800 grit after that. I also adjusted it out a couple of turns.

After getting it lubed and back together, I adjusted the shift linkage per factory spec and all is well. This will be nice as the car had been doing this for a while but other stuff kept me from getting to it. The heim joint conversion so tremendously improves the shift quality.
    Amen to that!