Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 hp

Garrett booster

300 hp

So just wondering what it would all take to get a 2.2 to 300 hp that is a nice on the street. Where can I get performance parts to do this? What have other people done to meet this goal? Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 300 hp

It's not that difficult in theory. However it can be quite difficult in practice. The S60 recipe will net you about 300HP at the crank on 18PSI. Make a few changes to it and you'll be able to do that a little more easily IMO.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What car, what mods now?

300 whp is a mild turbo upgrade, bigger IC and fuel system/calibration upgrade away.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster
    2.2 it is a vnt engine just without the vnt. Mods now are fuel pump different computer which I'm trying to get info on manual boost controller front mount the basic easy upgrades that's basically how I bought the car. Now what all has to be done if I wanted a bigger turbo ? Sorry for the dumb questions new to the turbo stuff.

Garrett booster
    And what is the s60 recipe

boostaholic

thedodgegarage.com <- go to it, read it, study it. Number one starting point for a new turbo mopar guy.

Garrett booster
    Ok thanks guys I grew up in a muscle car family so turbo stuff is a new adventure

I would drive your car first, and get a feel for it, then modify. Get everything up to snuff then buy a turbo, you can adapt anything but FWDpeformance has some nice bolt in turbo's, install the FMIC, I prefer MBC's or EBC's-easy to install, good 2.5" cat back, +40 injectors, 3 bar map, boost gauge and wideband and have fun.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

What injectors do you recommend already have 3 bar map, 3inch exhaust, and for the gauges i have the aem digital sideband and boost gauge

+40's, its in my post,

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

If you are shooting for 300 wheel hp, or ever plan to turn it up past 300hp, i would skip the s60 as it doesnt have much left at 300.

Of the stuff that is 'commonly' used on these cars i would get a t04e 46 trim compressor side and leave the rest of the turbo stock. That one is big enough to support everything the stock turbine side can handle without having terrible lag. An s60 compressor would be less laggy but id go a little bigger so you dont have to do it twice when you decide to push it further.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    If you are shooting for 300 wheel hp, or ever plan to turn it up past 300hp, i would skip the s60 as it doesnt have much left at 300.

Of the stuff that is 'commonly' used on these cars i would get a t04e 46 trim compressor side and leave the rest of the turbo stock. That one is big enough to support everything the stock turbine side can handle without having terrible lag. An s60 compressor would be less laggy but id go a little bigger so you dont have to do it twice when you decide to push it further.
    That is a great suggestion. I would see what the added cost of going to the old FM style B housing that Cindy sells though. It'll be much more efficient than a stock cover without the headache normally associated with a hybrid installation. The perfect compromise IMO.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90vnt View Post
    Ok thanks guys I grew up in a muscle car family so turbo stuff is a new adventure
    Muscle cars are cool, but for turbo stuff, you're haning out with the right crowd

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Cordes, i totally agree.

I honestly think people upgrade the turbine side way before they actually need to and it hurts their drivability for little gain.

I dont know why the B cover isnt nearly universal. Just seems like much less of a PITA, and its a case of (like the upgraded turbines) people not maxing out what they've got anyway, so why ----- about a single digits change in efficiency from the 'wrong' (more like slightly less ideal) compressor cover?

Im curious about just using the t04B compressor wheels too but there seems like relatively little experience with that here, and it seems like a lot of people who do run them dont even know what they are.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Cordes, i totally agree.

I honestly think people upgrade the turbine side way before they actually need to and it hurts their drivability for little gain.

I dont know why the B cover isnt nearly universal. Just seems like much less of a PITA, and its a case of (like the upgraded turbines) people not maxing out what they've got anyway, so why ----- about a single digits change in efficiency from the 'wrong' (more like slightly less ideal) compressor cover?

Im curious about just using the t04B compressor wheels too but there seems like relatively little experience with that here, and it seems like a lot of people who do run them dont even know what they are.
    I will say that in my personal experience putting an E wheel in the stock cover I was chasing my tail in a big way. I think Cindy's turbo with the E wheel in the B cover alleviates most of that going off of what I've read. I don't have any personal experience with that turbo myself.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That is a great suggestion. I would see what the added cost of going to the old FM style B housing that Cindy sells though. It'll be much more efficient than a stock cover without the headache normally associated with a hybrid installation. The perfect compromise IMO.

the B cover IS the stock inlet size(2.5") if you want to do it right..

super 50 trim with an E cover-- .63 housing/stage 2 wheel ATP swingvalve 3" exhaust all the way..
    magnaflo muffler no cat
    intercooler,bigger is always better. i used an Izusu box truck cooler
    +40 3 bar FWD computer
    ported head big valve 8.0 to 1 CR stock 90 cam ported intake and ex manifold 58mm TB

Thats it........18 psi 295whp pump 93 hot day...
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

The "B" covers can be cut to fit almost any wheel, however, when you put too large of a wheel in them, they become quite the hair dryer at higher boost, similar to big wheels in stock housings.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    the B cover IS the stock inlet size(2.5") if you want to do it right..

super 50 trim with an E cover-- .63 housing/stage 2 wheel ATP swingvalve 3" exhaust all the way..
    magnaflo muffler no cat
    intercooler,bigger is always better. i used an Izusu box truck cooler
    +40 3 bar FWD computer
    ported head big valve 8.0 to 1 CR stock 90 cam ported intake and ex manifold 58mm TB

Thats it........18 psi 295whp pump 93 hot day...
    I believe the AR is way bigger on it though. I know there is a large physical size difference between the B cover and stock T3 cover. I'm with you all the way on your turbo choice, but for only 300HP it's really using the minimum amount of it. I think that selection and the associated increase of installation difficulty kicks in at 350HP in my book of recommendations though.

T03 is 2.5" (or optional 3" for S60)
    T04B is 2.75"
    T04E is 3"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast