Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F4 Cam install.

Garrett booster

Re: F4 Cam install.

Not to bump an old thread, but does anyone know the actual dynoed power gains on let's say a stock head? compared to a plus 1 ported head? compared to a full race big port head.. ?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTIFIED View Post
    Not to bump an old thread, but does anyone know the actual dynoed power gains on let's say a stock head? compared to a plus 1 ported head? compared to a full race big port head.. ?
    That's impossible to gauge really as usually, too many things get changed and you move the cork somewhere else.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

yea, I wouldn't even try to run a F4 camshaft on a stock head....
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Garrett booster

No, but i remember someone dynoing one of these on a stock head, and it was around 20-25 whp difference just from the cam,, i don't recall what else was done, but the head was stock, stock valves. I keep thinking a canadian out west

turbo addict

Give me a few weeks (months) and I'll try to post up some dyno results (somewhere on here) with an F4 cam, beehive springs, Tyler van Lant ported 782 head with +1mm valves, on a 2.5L with Mahle pistons and a relatively stock bottom end with a rebuilt Garrett turbo , two piece intake, larger TB and, and A/W IC setup. Exhaust will be 2.5" SV, 3" DP to a long 3" open muffler in place of the cat, necking down to 2.5" mandrel bent out through another open muffler out the back of the car.

Garrett booster

Any chance we can get stock cam first then the F4 on that setup

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I take it you bought a re-grind? (not a new billet) The washers would go, under the lifters (lash adjusters)

Did you get the Crane springs to run with it as well? (or what valve springs are you going to run?)
    This has always bugged me a bit about the description of these and any other aftermarket camshafts for our applications. Seems all vendors and the guys grinding them call them "billet", when in fact every one I've ever seen is just made from a new roller blank. Some I've seen were even cut from slider blanks! It's just hardened cast iron! Nothing fancy or billet about it. What a marketing pitch, except it is just blantantly incorrect. "Billet" just makes it sound more expensive and cool. Zero difference in material compared to a stock roller camshaft. Someone show me a nice close up pic of their billet camshaft for our 8V SOHC motors. Close enough to show the casting lines and sand grain pattern (lol). As long as you going to change the decription to "not just race only"... maybe change the other description to better reflect what the customer is really purchasing.
    Another pet peeve when it comes to selling camshafts is why no cam card? Even the old s-60 cams from Comp Cams came with one. Maybe not completely accurate, but at least they came with one (lol). I know 95% of people don't degree their camshafts in, but some of us do. List ALL the specs. so people that understand what they mean can make an informed decision on which camshaft would best fit their needs. One would think the vendor and the company grinding these camshafts would want the right cam choice AND have them installed correctly in their customers cars so they would see positive results. Show complete specs. Example; duration listed sometimes but at what lift? is it @ .006, .020, .050, Why not list them at each? List lobe separation!! List the intake AND exhaust centerline. Without this info, every cam I install I have to run down the machine shop and place it on Cam Pro. Just another unneccessary expense, and a waste of a couple/few hours I'll never get back.
    Todd

Wow, someone having their period today?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    This has always bugged me a bit about the description of these and any other aftermarket camshafts for our applications. Seems all vendors and the guys grinding them call them "billet", when in fact every one I've ever seen is just made from a new roller blank. Some I've seen were even cut from slider blanks! It's just hardened cast iron! Nothing fancy or billet about it. What a marketing pitch, except it is just blantantly incorrect. "Billet" just makes it sound more expensive and cool. Zero difference in material compared to a stock roller camshaft. Someone show me a nice close up pic of their billet camshaft for our 8V SOHC motors. Close enough to show the casting lines and sand grain pattern (lol). As long as you going to change the decription to "not just race only"... maybe change the other description to better reflect what the customer is really purchasing.
    Another pet peeve when it comes to selling camshafts is why no cam card? Even the old s-60 cams from Comp Cams came with one. Maybe not completely accurate, but at least they came with one (lol). I know 95% of people don't degree their camshafts in, but some of us do. List ALL the specs. so people that understand what they mean can make an informed decision on which camshaft would best fit their needs. One would think the vendor and the company grinding these camshafts would want the right cam choice AND have them installed correctly in their customers cars so they would see positive results. Show complete specs. Example; duration listed sometimes but at what lift? is it @ .006, .020, .050, Why not list them at each? List lobe separation!! List the intake AND exhaust centerline. Without this info, every cam I install I have to run down the machine shop and place it on Cam Pro. Just another unneccessary expense, and a waste of a couple/few hours I'll never get back.
    Todd
    Couldn't have said it better my friend. Unfortunatly there are only a handfull of ppl on these forums that will appreciate what you just said

All these years later, with many of us sharing everything we can to try and help the whole community move forward and we still shoot ourselves in the foot by thinking there some hidden "secrets" that need to stay that way.

This was the biggest reason I never went with a cam in the Charger earlier, didn't want to drop in a botched cam and go backwards. Needed to wait till I had enough info on all the available cams from Reputable sources to be able to pick the right one

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

No, but i remember someone dynoing one of these on a stock head, and it was around 20-25 whp difference just from the cam,, i don't recall what else was done, but the head was stock, stock valves. I keep thinking a canadian out west
    As long as a stock head has it's flow numbers increasing to whatever lift the camshaft has, then a power increase can be had. From what I have seen, stock heads flow well to the .500 lift range so a F4 cam will fall into the could show an improvement category. The other related parts and pieces surrounding the head will play a major role of how much of an increase could be had while still using a stock head.

turbo addict

Any chance we can get stock cam first then the F4 on that setup
    That'd be nice, but probably not. The stock cam I had was actually bent. And I don't want to pay for any more dyno time than I have to.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Wow, someone having their period today?
    Yes sir, riding the cotton pony. Tell your buddy at Colt Cams to start including cam cards and maybe people would be more apt to order them. Mystery cam for $400 please. Answer; what is any cam made by Colt Cams.
    Todd

Yes sir, riding the cotton pony. Tell your buddy at Colt Cams to start including cam cards and maybe people would be more apt to order them. Mystery cam for $400 please. Answer; what is any cam made by Colt Cams.
    Todd
    LOL, guess I could do that. See, all you had to do was ask,

Hybrid booster

Todd
    Shut up and take my money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12