Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to build that 2.4L swap FAQ...

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Need to build that 2.4L swap FAQ...

So lets start here. To contribute, just give new steps for us. Take what someone has written, modify it and repost it. The next people can do the same, so on and so on. Once done, we will repost the final information into the FAQ.

1. Aquire the motor you want - list acceptable motor's here.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Re: Need to build that 2.4L swap FAQ...

You mean like this frank?:

The 16V block 1997 to 2001 doesn't have a lot of changes. Nice and strong. But, there are some changes you will need to make to it.

The main bearings will have to be changed. The stock 2.4 NA bearings can't stand up to the punishment. You'll need SRT bearings. MAIN BEARING 5012582AA $6.90 (4 REQUIRED)

Rods and pistons: SRT4 rods and pistons and bearings are cheap and you can get the Rings as well. ROD BREARING 5093448AB $5.40 (4 REQUIRED),PISTON/ROD ASSEMBLY 4884247AD $49.78 (4 REQUIRED),RING SET 5093441AA $19.44 (1 REQUIRED)
    Or, you can use a T2 rod from a 2.5L 1989+ Turbo dodge and a custom forged piston. With stock Clevite 77 bearings.

Water and oil pump? Well, there are people out there running the NA oil and water pump with no issues at all. But, you can choose to upgrade. If you do you'll need a SRT oil pump, water pump, hydraulic tensioner and other odds and ends. Want them? Here they are:

Tensionser: 4781570AB
    - bolt: 6101763
    - bolt: 6506019AA
    Water Pump:4884159AA
    - bolt: 6503255 (x 4)
    Idler Pulley: 04781569AB
    Oil Pump Pickup/Screen: 4792304AC
    Oil Pan: 4777991AA
    Oil Pump: 4777955AA
    Oil Pan Gasket: 4777994AA
    Oil Filter Connector: 4777998AA
    Oil Filter Connector Gasket: 4884000AA
    Oil Filter Connector Screw: 6102041AA (x 3)
    Front Seal (for oil pump): 4667198

The tensioner upgrade package part number for the PT is 5114069AA. It includes the tensioner, both covers, and some screws. It will make it so you have the plastic covers that cover and protect the timing belt. Cost from Fenton dodge is $127

4884159AA $46.15 SRT4 Water pump
    5114072AA $113.30 Complete Tensioner upgrade

The head? Well, the head should be specific to your block, although all DOHC heads from 1997 to 1999 should be basically the same.

The mounts For the passengers side you'll need a special adapter bracket made to place the 2.4 in the 2.0 neon engien compartment. It is made by toomanyneons on www.neons.org. They are $78 Paypal shipped bwsemail@gmail.com See them here http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=169980/
    The drivers side depends on the tranny. Currently you can use a TD 413 mount on the neon 413 based tranny as I understand it. The 5 speed neon NVT tranny mount is a work in progress, I'll update when I know more. As is the front motor mount.

Intake Manifolds You can use just about any stock 2.0 or 2.4 intake manifold. My suggestion, Lonewolf Performance.

Transmissions Yes, you can install the cable operated NVT350 1995-1999 neon 5 speed in either 3.55 FD or 3.94 FD. Yes, you can install a TD 520,523,555,568 tranny with some modification. Yes, you can install a srt4 tranny, but you also have to install a hydraulic clutch system.

Axles Stock large splined axles should do to begin with.

Engine management Your choice.

The 2.4 liter engine is found primarily in what are referred to as the "cloud" cars which are the Cirrus, Stratus and Breeze. The 2.4l can be found in some minivans but, those are a rare duck. The best 2.4's can be found in late model PT Cruisers and the creme de ulche being the the GT Crusier and the SRT4, both of which had the 2.4 liter turbocharged from the factory.

Cloud cars are the most plentiful. They have a decent stock flowing head.

Minivans AFAIK have the share the same block and head. Just rare.

The PT Cruiser (post 2002) have the better flowing rectangular ports WITHOUT the EGR bypass.

The bestest is the GT Cruiser and the SRT4. Factory turbocharged. Built bottom ends. But they are pricey.

Like this Frank?

That works guys!

People can keep adding ifnormation for the next week. I will combine it and move it to the FAQ section.
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

turbo addict

Here's some bolt sizes(I left the 2.0 stuff here you can remove it if you want Frank)

Valve Cover to Head - M6 x 1.00 x 17 - Qty 10 (96-99)
    Coil Pack to Valve Cover - M6 x 1.00 x 50 - Qty 4 (96-99)
    Fuel Rail to Intake Manifold - M8 x 1.25 x 16 - Qty 2 (all years)
    Exhaust Manifold to Head Bolts - M8 x 1.25 x 25 - Qty 6 (or use 8 studs)
    Exhaust Manifold to Head Studs - M8 x 1.25 x 51 - Qty 2 (or use 8 studs)
    Exhaust Manifold to Head Nuts - M8 x 1.25 - Qty 2 (or 8 if all studs)
    DOHC: Intake Manifold to Head - M8 x 1.25 x 28 - Qty
    Throttle Body to Plenum - M8 x 1.25 x 60 - Qty 2
    IAC Sensor to Throttle Body - M5 x .8 x 12 - Qty 2
    TPS Sensor to Throttle Body - M5 x .8 x 20 - Qty 2
    Water Neck to Intake Manifold - M6 x 1.00 x30 - Qty 2

2.0 DOHC Head Bolts
    M11 x 1.5 x 110 - Qty 4
    M11 x 1.5 x 156 - Qty 6
    2.4 DOHC Head Bolts
    M11 x 1.5 x 146 - Qty 10
    There is no arp headstud kit for the 2.4(well actually there is now, but on summit it doesn't say what its for, this is the # ARP 141-4204) or use the VW 1.8 20v set ARP 204-4204(same length and pitch bolts)

2.0 bedplate bolts:
    M8 x 1.25 x 60
    M11 x 1.5 x 65

2.4 bedplate bolts:
    M8 x 1.25 x 70
    M11 x 1.50 x 75

Cam Gear to Camshaft - M12 x 1.50 x 52 - Qty 2
    Crank Pulley to Crankshaft - M12 x 1.75 x 87.5 - Qty 1
    Oil Pan Drain Plug - M14 x 1.50 x 16 - Qty 1

DOHC Cam Caps - M6 x 1.00 x 35 - Qty 18
    DOHC Cam Caps - M8 x 1.25 x 40 - Qty 6
    Cam Sensor to Head - M6 x 1.00 x 20 - Qty 2
    Alternator Bracket to Block - M10 x 1.50 x 40 - Qty 3
    Alternator Pivot Bolt - M10 x 1.50 x 100 - Qty 1

Oil drain plug M14 x 1.5 (srt pan)

Also I wanted to add to that the newer heads are not a direct bolt on to the pre 01 blocks because of the oil passage in the block/head (and the head gasket is different)

You can pull oil for the turbo off the head or from the 3/8npt in the back of the block

2.0 cams are a great place to start and theese should be good settings. (Russ wrote)I have found on my old setup 4-6* advance on intake side
    pulled smooth from idle to 7k RPM with 0-4* neg on exhaust
    cam.

If you need stock or larger bearings, Clevite CB1813p(for srt2.4 rods) and MS2201p mains(for na 2.4's)
    You can also use TM rods w/ the appropriate bearings(specific to rods) just have to have the small end sized for the srt.866 pin

Misc info:
    Spark plugs
    Stock swap NGK Bkre6e/es use the 7 for turbo low boost

NGK iridum plugs 1step 2step colder
    Iridium IX BKR6EIX
    Iridium IX BKR7EIX
    Iridium IX BKR9EIX High boost

you can use the PT water inlet tube if you need a new one

If your making a custom Intake then you can use the PT waterneck that bolts to the head(also keeps the intake from getting heatsoaked from the coolant)

For 96-99 dohc's Autozone has the 180^ thermostat(stock is 195^) that is special order(VALUCRAFT
    MED TEMP-180 DEGREE 4208 $9.99
    SEAL INCLUDED), tell them to look up a 98 neon, then it is an option) but cheaper than Howell automotive.

Timing Belt Tensioner How to:
    Loosen the center lock bolt about one turn, no need to go more than that. This should allow the black stamped steel piece under the bolt head to rotate. There will either be a 1/4" socket extension hole in it or a 6mm allen head hole in it. Gently rotate the center piece CLOCKWISE. You will see the pulley move "down" and to the left slightly. This will allow you to just barely sneak the belt over the pulley. Get all the slack out of the belt between the crank, water pump and both cam gears. Then use the allen wrench or extension and start to turn the center piece COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Eventually you will see the small aluminum bracket on the back side of the pulley start to "float" and rotate clockwise when the assembly starts to put pressure on the belt. When the small opening in the center of that aluminum bracket lines up with the exposed spring wire tang, the tension is set. Hole the allen wrench/extension and tighten the lock bolt. Rotate the engine assembly over a couple of times and look at the location of the aluminum bracket and spring tang to be sure they are close to where you set them. It's very easy to set the tension with this design. Eventually I'll get a how-to put together for the Archives since the same procedure applies to late model SOHC and 2.4

PWR Steering FAQ
    Neon underdrive pulleys work on the 2.4, but you need to use the '96-'99 one if you are going to use the pwr steering that your car had(V-belt) or if you want to use the 2.4's stock pwr steering pump(4 grove) then you need a '00+ neon UDP(and will have to mount a remove reservoir, which there is only one real place for it to go, between pass strut tower and firewall) .

The stock TM Saginaw pwr steering pressure line fits the newer 2.4 pump.(I believe that it is even possible to use the factory Saginaw pump after comparing pictures of them(they look very similar). If you have a log manifold you may need to modify the bracket for the pressure line to not be so close to the header.

Bonus:
    The newer auto trans have a provision for a rear mount.
    the caravan 2.4 is the only one that actually uses it. You can easily make a new one w/ the caravan mount and stock bobble strut location on the K frame.

IF you are lucky like me and can find a Caravan 2.4 and trans still in vehicle. Tell them you want all of the accessories, the motor mounts, and the pwr steering reservoir, and the wiring on the alt/starter.

If you want to use an SRT4 valve cover on a 96-99 2.4
    You will have to mill the spark plug hole lips(where the boot attach's) down ~1/2"-5/8". This is because the SRT and newer heads use a different spark plug that is that much longer and they are different styles so you cannot just swap plugs. Or you can also just cut part of the sealing boot off the wires then it should fit. Then you will have 2 bolt holes that you do not need that will have to be filled(look at pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb06-06003.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	1879  
    Last edited by Speedeuphoria; 08-10-2006 at 08:36 AM.

The block is able to take massive power whether it be an old style or a new style. The best one is the SRT or PT turbo block since they have the factory turbo drain back and oil sprayers for the pistons. Two easy to overcome obsticals but, to each their own.

The heads get a little more involved.

2.0 DOHC are the most common in the JY.

2.4 N/A are next in the food chain until...

PT N/A Head that has NO EGR is the next best circa @ 2002 mid year. Lower exhaust port floor = better flow

PT turbo head is better yet since it has better exhaust valves and no EGR(technically). These can be found CHEAP and are nearly as good as...

SRT turbo head . The best flowing stock head you can get! BUT, to use an old style intake mani (non-SRT) you must add metal and create bolt holes in the intake side of the head so that you have enough clampage. Even then you must drill out two extra holes in the intake manifold flange so that it can seal properly. OR get an SRT intake but, that may not clear the dizzy. Someone will have to chime in on this one.

This is my personal opinion and is based off experience, dyno time and flow #'s of all the motor combo's that I have had or have built for people and then tuned.

In my stuff somewhere is flow # comparisions between them all but, you could head over to the neons.org and drown in that sea of miss-information to find it.

Dave B.

All the 2.0 and 2.4 DOHC heads have the same bolt pattern and will interchange some with mods though.

Here is the general rule of thumb for 2.4 litres:

Pre-2001 heads will bolt up to a pre-2001 block with no issue.

Use of a 2002+ head on a pre-2001 block will require either welding and red-drilling of front oil drain on the cylinder head. OR installing of freeze plugs to the head and the block on the front oil drain to eliminate the passage. A diesel shop will have them. Early Cummins turbo freeze plugs for the head I THINK.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181

dizzy conversion construction link

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Ive been waiting for an FAQ like this...
    So the rods and piston sets are $50ea from the dealer?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo
    Ive been waiting for an FAQ like this...
    So the rods and piston sets are $50ea from the dealer?
    those are old and they are from a discount seller like mopar supercenter
    current discount prices are~$62

What is the going rate for an SRT-4 crate motor?

{fast and furious}
    More then you can afford pal... Ferrari
    {/fast and furious}
    It would be cheaper and easier to just build a 2.4 to SRT4 specs then to buy an engine.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar
    What is the going rate for an SRT-4 crate motor?
    last I knew it was like $1100 for a shortblock

turbo addict

Idler Pulley: 04781569AB (comes w/ bolt)
    you can get the srt lower gasket kit(if using the srt pan/pump/pickup/water pump) which contains: oil pan gasket,oil pump O-ring, oil pickup O-ring, water inlet pipe O-ring, water pump O-ring, front and rear main seals.

Hybrid booster

find a wrecked car and then you have all the wiring and stuff too!!

Timing Belt Tensioner How to:
    Loosen the center lock bolt about one turn, no need to go more than that. This should allow the black stamped steel piece under the bolt head to rotate. There will either be a 1/4" socket extension hole in it or a 6mm allen head hole in it. Gently rotate the center piece CLOCKWISE. You will see the pulley move "down" and to the left slightly. This will allow you to just barely sneak the belt over the pulley. Get all the slack out of the belt between the crank, water pump and both cam gears. Then use the allen wrench or extension and start to turn the center piece COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Eventually you will see the small aluminum bracket on the back side of the pulley start to "float" and rotate clockwise when the assembly starts to put pressure on the belt. When the small opening in the center of that aluminum bracket lines up with the exposed spring wire tang, the tension is set. Hole the allen wrench/extension and tighten the lock bolt. Rotate the engine assembly over a couple of times and look at the location of the aluminum bracket and spring tang to be sure they are close to where you set them. It's very easy to set the tension with this design. Eventually I'll get a how-to put together for the Archives since the same procedure applies to late model SOHC and 2.4
    Unless you use the hydrolic tensioner which has worked flawless for me.http://www.bstockum.com/tensionerpage1.htmlYou guys have got some good info here keep it up.

How are you guys who are already running the 2.4 making the Speedo and Tach and stuff work?

turbo addict

Hey Frank what other stuff do you wat info for??

BUMP for my previous question.

I think we have it all. Now for the next task. I recommend someone read thru and combined all the information into one post. Just do cut and pastes to place everything together in nice orderly steps, etc. Then we will let everyone proof read it and then I will move that post as the official FAQ!
    Frank Katzenberger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast