Thread: 1986 New Yorker 2.2T Oil Feed Line

Mitsu booster

1986 New Yorker 2.2T Oil Feed Line

Posting on behalf of a friend, not my car - well here goes:

He recently replaced the head because of a chipped valve. In trying to remove everything from the engine, the turbo oil feed line would not come out of the engine side (came out of the turbo just fine). Well, re-assembly went rather well and we got everything hooked up and the car started just fine. Idled down and ran like a top for the mile or so we test drove it.

When we pulled back in the driveway I noticed a pretty heavy dripping from around the transmission. When we looked under the hood, we found that the area where the rubber hose is crimped on to the hard line where it passes to the right of the head for the turbo feed (that wouldn't come out) was spewing out oil pretty heavily.

My (our) question: What is the best way to fix, considering the hard line would not budge even when we had great access to it? I was thinking that we could cut out the middle section with the rubber hose and use some plumbing fittings to join the two halves together. Similar to a "fuel line repair" they sell at parts stores:

turbo addict
    Just get a stainless oil feed from one of the vendors and put up a wanted ad for the oil distribution block that screws into the front of the engine.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Re: 1986 New Yorker 2.2T Oil Feed Line

If it's the rubber leaking, you can cut off the clamps, remove the existing rubber and replace it with a HIGH PRESSURE fuel line 5/16th of an inch I.D. Also, be sure to use high pressure non gear clamps.

I have used 180 psi pressure fuel line for the past 5 or 6 years, but I swap it out every 2 years just for added insurance. There is no deterioration after that amount of time in use.

Mitsu booster

That sounds like the most viable solution considering his low low budget, shadow88. Thanks.

By high pressure non gear clamps, you mean like the left in this image?

turbo addict

Yes, the one on the left. Be careful when you're cutting the old clamps away so you don't damage the barb. It's time consuming, but use a pair of side cutters and peel the clamp open to be sure you don't damage anything.

I chose this option when I installed my tbi header because it moved the turbo further from the engine and I needed a longer hose. This was the cheapest way to do it for me. I used the same technique for the coolant hose as well, but it's 1/2" i.d. if you feel like doing it at the same time.