Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GT30 Turbine Question....

Re: GT30 Turbine Question....

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875
    Why don't you build a custom larger upper plenum, with no added runner length over what the lower piece has? Then on the lower piece, port the runners at the plenum to achieve a velocity stack design. And also try to center the throttle body inlet at the plenum if possible for more equal flow distribution. I have noticed that cylinder #1 gets the most air, then #2, #3, &#4 on a 2 piece intake. There not that far off from each other, but there is a difference. From my findings, the 1 piece, with the way the plenum is designed seems to be better in this department. But seriously modifying the 1 piece could change the flow distribution if your not careful. I've not yet decided if there is much of a difference between the 1 piece or 2 piece, at the stock throttle body size levels. But I have noticed the 2 piece having a little better throttle response. You have a great combo going Aaron, but now it's time to get down to the nitty gritty. One thing I would do, is to see how much of a pressure drop before & after the cooler you actually do have @ 26psi.
    I have actually thought of this, the only thing is stopping me is I'm not sure i like the runner length. I'd like to shift the rpm band farther right, and shortening up those runners should aid in that. Also, I'm not sure how bad the plenum area on a two piece really is...

The new head is absoloutley wicked, it should surpass 200 cfm by a good margin, and even better overall performance. I need something that is for sure going to feed it.

The lowers of my two piece are hogged out a lot, and done with velocity still kept in mind, they're pretty damn awesome. Also, inside the lowers the runners are coated in an anti-friction coating for air, used by Dart inside their heads and intakes on their pro-stock Cobalts.

It's still a possibility, but a center inlet isn't happeneing. I'm not cutting up a hood to fit a pipe. Millions of way higher performance cars use a side inlet (see, every AMS EVO/DSM intake called the VSR intake, huge plenum, side inlet) so there is a way for equal distribution. Key to it is utilizing velocity stacks inside the plenum to capture the high speed air trying to go past.

Do you think if I take a spare 2PC gasket to a machine shop they could mill me a flange to build off of? I'll need to measure to see how much room I have to build the plenum then and stay inside the stock hood and firewall.

Aaron Miller

boostaholic

Frank & Aaron, I talked to Chris yesterday and he suggested to me that I should get the GT30 for my daytona (I origanally wanted the GT28) but he said I would be more happy with this one, but a freind iis saying that this is too big. This is my summer fn and occasional strip car

What kinda lag should I expect from it I hit boost at 3K now. The motor is built but it has a stock head( I have 1mm over valves just need to get a spare head to work them into. What are your opinions

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Its a tough call IMHO. The GT30R can help you go further, however with more lag. I am of the impression that a GT38 would better then something like a S60, but wouldnt peak out much higher then the S60.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Shepard
    Frank & Aaron, I talked to Chris yesterday and he suggested to me that I should get the GT30 for my daytona (I origanally wanted the GT28) but he said I would be more happy with this one, but a freind iis saying that this is too big. This is my summer fn and occasional strip car

What kinda lag should I expect from it I hit boost at 3K now. The motor is built but it has a stock head( I have 1mm over valves just need to get a spare head to work them into. What are your opinions
    From my personal car, lots of head work, large cam, TU header, 2.25 displacement w/ low compression (somewhere around 7.8 is my guess) I have full boost at 4100 rpms. A 50 trim w/ stage II exhaust and .63 housing was 4000 even. That's 100 rpms for a HUGE compressor wheel difference.

I'm not a big believer in "too much lag." If it's a have fun driver car, occasional strip car, as long as the next gear drops you back into full boost then don't even worry about it. Don't drive your car lugging it at 2000 rpm shifts and get pissed because it's not making boost!

Aaron Miller

boostaholic

Thanks guys, Im in a hard place here I think the gt30 would be a good Idea because of future boost possibilities and is it worth the extra cash vs the gt28

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Exactly.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123