Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folks love my '87 Shelby Charger!

Garrett booster

Folks love my '87 Shelby Charger!

FINALLY got out to a couple shows in my recently purchased (thanks Derek) 87 Shelby Charger, (NOT a GLHS), and folks LOVE it!
    One guy, at the show today, spent 20 minutes telling me about the three Daytonas he owned, over the years.
    First one he bought new, next two, (obviously) used, but loved every one. He currently owns a 70± Road Runner.

At the show, last night, a fellow NJ Mopar member told me how he got 'schooled' by one of these back when he had his new mid-80's Mustang!

Enjoy your weekend...or what's left of it!

-Wayne in NJ

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Folks love my '87 Shelby Charger!

Yeah the cars are finally gaining some respect. The Lebaron gets a lot of compliments at the weekend hang-outs here.

Also, welcome to the site!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Congrats on your 'new' Shelby Charger! Welcome to T-M and thanks for sharing your story, I definitely have seen a recent increase in interest for our cars. While driving to and from SDAC 22 our convoy (DJ- 1992 Shadow ES, insanely modified, Rooferchris- 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger, and Myself, 1987 GLHS) were approached with questions at gas stations, rest stops, and hotel parking lots. Pictures were taken, and thumbs up recieved on the freeways. Since getting back from SDAC, I was approached by two different guys while at the car wash, and at a recent local all makes show, one guy told me that my car was his absolute favourite of all the cars there. This show featured muscle cars, street rods, and even a brand new Ferrari!

I think it's because you don't really see them being used as regular daily drivers anymore. The beat on ones are all parked in fields or gone on to the crusher, leaving only the cared for examples. As people have moved on to other cars and forgotten about TD's, seeing them at shows jogs the old memory, and now you're hearing the stories of "I use to have one of these" or "My buddy had one just like this, man it went like stink", etc...

Sorry for the ramble,

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site! Post up some pics so we can see your new ride.

turbo addict

Welcome to the forum. Keep flying the Shelby Dodge Flag and join SDAC if you haven't already.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

First of all welcome to T-M! Secondly, pics please

Garrett booster

Here's a link to the photos taken by the previous owner, I have his permission to link & b) he's also a member on this board, so you may have seen these before...

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ2QQtppZZ20

Can't figure out how to set my avatar...the search continues! Figured it out, Paypalled my $10....
    Last edited by Wayne in NJ; 07-22-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: after further review....

The picture link isn't working, guess you'll have to break out your camera next time you're at a car show!

www.wc-tm.com

Garrett booster

I went back an editted (is THAT spelled right???) the link...try it again...(hope it works THIS time)!

here it is again:

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ2QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    The picture link isn't working, guess you'll have to break out your camera next time you're at a car show!
    It worked for me. You are missing out not being able to see them though. I do remember seeing pics of that car before. It is super nice.

Garrett booster

I AM, however, RE-learning to drive a stick! Been driving automatics for the past 20 or so years, (a 3 cylinder, Subaru Justy was my LAST, everyday driver, 5 speed, and, again, that was almost 20 years ago...man time flies)!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I remember this car, very nice

Garrett booster

Howdy cordes! I had just updated/corrected the link AFTER GLHS0075 checked and couldn't get through. (MY BAD)!

Very nice! I like.

www.wc-tm.com

Garrett booster

I told a friend of mine that I got the car, he asked if it was front wheel drive, and, when i answered 'Yes', he said 'That'll be good in the snow!' My reply: 'This thing isn't gonna SEE any snow!' Show car, not a SNOW car! ;^)

Hybrid booster

when i first bought my 85 SC back in 2010 it was in the driveway and it wasnt started yet, old random guy walking along stopped and saw it he said " oh man, i remember those, i know exactly what it is, my old man got raped by one of them in the 80s them things are scary when pushed right "
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

Garrett booster

A classic Corvette owner/former owner of a Dodge Turbo claimed my car (with its 220 HP), would 'keep up' (at LEAST), with just about any one at the show today, with the exception of a car built specifically for the drag strip. (I don't plan on testing the theory, I'll just take his word for it)! Well, bored you folks enough PLUS, i need to hit the hay! Have a good night!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne in NJ View Post
    I told a friend of mine that I got the car, he asked if it was front wheel drive, and, when i answered 'Yes', he said 'That'll be good in the snow!' My reply: 'This thing isn't gonna SEE any snow!' Show car, not a SNOW car! ;^)
    Glad to hear that for sure!

I'm a bit jealous of you guys getting stopped by folks asking about your cars. Nobody notices our cars around here from what I can tell. When I was in the Detroit area I couldn't get gas if I didn't have a few extra minutes to speak with someone about their GLH experiences. I actually miss that.

Garrett booster

Got to get the sunroof tinted! can't stand the sun frying my brain! Hoping they can SOMEWHAT match the skunk stripes with the tint, AND extend it down the back window, but around, (of course) the Shelby name in the rear window! I don't have the louvers, ANOTHER former owner, was telling me the hardware for the louvers (when his was new) were glued to the window, then the louvers attached to the hardware. The glue would give way, and they'd start bouncing/making noise/etc.

(OOPS: mistakenly deleted my lament post that i must sell the 64 1/2 Mustang coupe....and it was just its 48th birthday a few days ago)!

OK, REALLY going to bed now....

Hybrid booster

ALMOST got myself lined up with a 66 Charger with a 440(spelled out on collector plates) the other night, would have been a rolling highway run where I think I could have at least put some scare into him. Unfortunately a minivan decided not to take the left turn lane ruining my dreams. It was a beautiful car, but I would have enjoyed showing him that the 80's/90's weren't all bad for Chrysler...
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast