Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 Voyager 1/4 mile times are in!

Hybrid booster

Re: 89 Voyager 1/4 mile times are in!

Well I wasn't able to play with tire pressure, but on 13psi with the better tires and removed spares/back seat, I netted a best of 15.48 at 86.1mph with a 2.34 60ft. This same run was a 9.86 at 71.1mph in the 1/8th mile.

Hybrid booster

a little less than 13psi to prevent hitting overboost this time and an under drive pulley along with old street tires netted a 15.406 at 85.54. This was with a 2.224 60ft. I am killing it on the 60ft with old tires if you ask me. 9.74 1/8th at 70.69. Still running the stock cat and back exhaust. Ordered a stage 3 tune from fwd performance so I am hoping for 14's!
    Last edited by jefo; 04-20-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post
    a little less than 13psi to prevent hitting overboost this time and an under drive pulley along with old street tires netted a 15.406 at 85.54. This was with a 2.224 60ft. I am killing it on the 60ft with old tires if you ask me. 9.74 1/8th at 70.69. Ordered a stage 3 tune from fwd performance so I am hoping for 14's!
    Just for your own information, NHRA uses a formula that is very simple to figure out what your vehicle will run in the 1/4 mile compared to an 1/8 mile time. That number is {1.54 times the 1/8 mile ET }. So if you take your time of 9.74 x 1.54 you get 14.996. So I would say you are well on your way to a 14 second Mini Van, WTG.

Chuck Green

Doesn't sound like that figure compensates for the horrible wind resistance that is the turbo minivan

Spending money on a calibration was pointless without traction. More boost= worse traction, you could even have a WORSE time unless you fix your traction problem first. Your MPH will improve, but raw ET I doubt will improve because your 60ft time will be worse.

With slicks you would have already EASILY hit 14's with your current setup and boost level. A 1.8 60ft time would translate into a 14.6-14.7 second timeslip with NO other changes.

When it comes to turbo dodge's at the drag strip, traction is the first thing you need not the last.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I am killing it on the 60ft with old tires if you ask me.
    Oh, i agree with you!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Jefo I promise you, absolutely promise, that once you finally buy slicks and run them you WILL be kicking yourself in the --- for buying all this other stuff before them.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input. Yea my plan is to wear out the old tires and then throw on some drag radials or slicks. I can find drag radials in the right size and on a stock steel 14" rim, but I am having trouble finding slicks. I am preparing to try and win a race against a friend with an 03 g35 sedan automatic.

Don't waste money on drag radials, slicks or bust. With drag radials you'd be very lucky to get better than 2.0 60 ft time, and if you increase boost/power even more you may be back to your 2.2's.

Just pick up a set of dirt cheap 15'' crab wheels and buy a pair of M&H slicks. I picked up 2 crab wheels for $20, and two of these-

http://www.mandhtires.com/7.5-23.0-15

Use coupon code NEDRA for 15% off, which is $57 in savings and more than covers shipping. If I recall correctly their shipping is very reasonable, like $30 for a pair.

I believe a lot of guys with vans use the 24.5'' slicks, but anything under 300whp the 23'' slicks hold good.

I am preparing to try and win a race against a friend with an 03 g35 sedan automatic.
    Better cut that race off at 50-60mph, those things trap about 10mph higher than you through the 1/4, bone stock.

I agree with Matt though, i went with those 23s and i think its a fantastic investment for someone who actually races their TM (so probably actually a better deal for you than for me!).

Hybrid booster

Got to the track today. with a fwd stage 3 computer and 15psi of boost, I ran a 14.69 at 91.6mph, with a 2.26 60ft. Traction isn't very good with the old street tires, but having them at 25psi helped alot. the 1/8th mile was 9.39 at 75.2 mph.
    Last edited by jefo; 06-09-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Nice time improvement, but 25 PSI was still too high. Air them down to 20, and did you do a good burnout to heat them up good?

Pump up the rears to 45-50 PSI too like I said, helps with rear end droop on the launch for better traction plus there's simply less parasitic loss going down the track.

Seems like you never do exactly what I say, you started too by airing down to 25 and you got better results. Will you just trust me now and do exactly what I say?? 20 PSI will be even better results.

I'm talking from experience here, everything I'm telling you I've done and seen improvement. I'm trying to help, so just do it! lol

Fronts at 20, rears at 45, and a good burnout, you should easily get a 2.1 time with an automatic which will break 14.5 seconds with no other changes. And then get slicks. For the love of God do not throw money in the toilet by getting drag radials. Sure they'll do better than your old tires, you may even break 2 seconds on the 60 ft time, but why run 1.9x times when you can be doing 1.7x times and drop an additional 1/2 second off your time slip?

I cannot emphasize enough how awesome and important slicks are. If you put slicks on your current setup, with NO other changes, you may even hit 13's. Thats how great they are.
    Last edited by moparzrule; 06-09-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Hybrid booster

I now have a tire pump so I will try just that. 20 front and 44 rear(max tire rating). I also raised the boost to 16psi which is the most I can safely do fuel wise according to my wideband. It is around 11.5 in the mid range and 10.5 up the higher rpms. Hoping for low 14's.

I also don't have a charge air sensor yet, which the stage 3 needs so I will be adding that soon. Without it it probably pulls timing and richens the mixture right?
    Last edited by jefo; 06-15-2013 at 05:04 AM.

It won't richen mixture because WOT is preset tables no matter what the sensors read. But, 10.5 is super rich. 11.5 is good throughout the whole RPM band. At 10.5 A/F, thats pig rich and you're probably good for atleast 18 PSI (you are running 93 octane right?). That cal is meant for more air than a mitsu can give, you only need to worry about timing. Just make sure you got enough octane. Throw a couple gallons of race gas in there to ease any doubts and then crank that boost.

At this point, with those tires, I would seriously consider doing a 2 stage boost controller setup. Set the low to 12 PSI and the high to 18. Better traction out of the hole, then flip a switch once it hits second gear.

But even at 16, with low air in the fronts and high in the rear I believe you will hit low 14's. You could probably bust into 13's with a 2 stage and 18 PSI.

Edit- Wait, I just thought of something. I don't remember reading you having an intercooler anywhere? The stock blow off valve usually starts leaking around 15 PSI. You need to get an intercooler and an aftermarket BOV before going any higher on the boost. Mitsu's really heat up that air over 14 PSI.

Hybrid booster

It has 3" downpipe to open cutout, 3" cai, ported mitsu/swingvalve, intercooler bigger than t2, rfl bov, ported throttle body, cut balance shaft chain and opened oil pickup, rmvb/trans cooler and magnetic filter/pin retainers. Spins both front tires at the track every time. 120k miles. and of course fwd stage 3 and 16psi now. stock 12 degree timing. 92 octane gas.
    Last edited by jefo; 06-15-2013 at 12:11 PM.

OK thanks for the update on mods. Yeah you really should do the 2 stage boost controller until you get slicks. Mostly because it's simple and pretty cheap to do, and will really help you out with traction. Are you currently using your stock selenoid for boost control or are you using a manual boost controller? If you aren't using the stock selenoid, all you need is a second boost controller, a switch, some vacuum line, and some wiring.

http://www.dempseybowling.com/perform/2stage.htm

Again probably set the low boost setting around 12 PSI, and the high boost you can stick with 16 if you want but with 10.5 A/F you're good for atleast 18 PSI as long as there's no knock. However, a stage 3 is only a 2 bar so it won't be pulling timing for anything over 15 psi. I'm pretty sure that cindy's stage 3's are pretty conservative though, they are not meant for all out setups. You'll definitely be fine at 16 psi, but with 18 I'd throw a couple gallons of race gas in to be sure.

One thing I always did on my cal's was I had the check engine light flash if it detects knock, not sure if cindy's cal's have that feature or not.

Hybrid booster

Well I dynoed my van. Any ideas as to why the graph would look like this? It looks odd to me. 187 hp and 312 tq.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9730415/

turbo addict

Automatic trans?

Hybrid booster

yep its auto

They didn't do Air/Fuel? That might explain the dip. But yeah that seems about right for an auto trans with a mitsu turbo on the 2.5, HP curve is gonna be pretty flat because it's already choking by 3500 RPM.

Just for curiosity's sake: There should be a 3-digit number stamped onto your cam gear. It will be either 557 or 690. Which number is on your van?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast