Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 Voyager 1/4 mile times are in!

Hybrid booster

Re: 89 Voyager 1/4 mile times are in!

Yea I plan on drag radals, but they will be street legal drag radials about the same size as the stock tires. And yes is will spin the tires easily. I leave at around 10 vaccum and the tires chirp a bit when i hit boost. And I have already done some tranny work to beef it up a bit. That would be sweet if I could launch at 13psi with no spinning, what kind of 60ft do you think that would net me?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...bleed-hole-mod.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post
    Yea I plan on drag radals, but they will be street legal drag radials about the same size as the stock tires. And yes is will spin the tires easily. I leave at around 10 vaccum and the tires chirp a bit when i hit boost. And I have already done some tranny work to beef it up a bit. That would be sweet if I could launch at 13psi with no spinning, what kind of 60ft do you think that would net me?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...bleed-hole-mod.

NO DRAG RADIALS, slicks or slicks.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Here is an acceleration vid of the current setup: I rolled on the throttle to limit wheelspin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiwQWUrtuAk&feature=plcp

e
    dit: I want tires that are about the same size. do they make slicks close to the stock tire size? I am going for the sleeper look. Can't have some tall slicks in the front hanging out the fenderwells.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well, stock tires are tall as hell. Something similar to the stock size would be a 26" slick and the majority of people will tell you that on a sub-500hp turbo-mopar you will go quicker on smaller slicks, like 24.5" slicks.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I have 14" wheels, so I was thinking about these in 215/60-14:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...StreetRadialII

I think that size will work well for the van.. as well as drag radials can work anyway. Give it a shot and see how it works.

Hybrid booster

With the old tires on the front and 2 spare tires, floor jack, full tank of gas, and rear seat in the back I ran a 15.8 at 84mph with a 2.375 60ft. This was on 12psi with the addition of an intercooler, lightly ported mitsubishi turbo/swingvalve(by myself), and a 3" intake along with the stock cat and back exhaust. Traction was terrible and my 1/8th mile times were slower than before I did the work. I plan on going back with my newer tires and less weight to see what it can do. Then in the near future I plan on getting a tune (still deciding which one) to run around 16psi along with a set of drags radials.

I also still have to get a radiator cap with a spring loaded return valve so it holds pressure...

What kind of pressure are you running in the tires? Air up the rears to like 50 at the track, and the fronts down to 20 or less.

Take out the rear seat, they are like 100 pounds. And why do you have 2 spare tires? Take them out! It'll help with your traction off the line, less overall vehicle weight and less weight in the rear will both help a good bit.

Just those 2 things should net you mid to lower 15's (unless you were already changing the tire pressures).

Don't bother with more boost until you have traction, you'll just blow the tires off even more and get worse times.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    And why do you have 2 spare tires?
    I read that as he put "skinny" spare tires on the back to reduce friction, not put two spares in the back of the van.....
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I read that as he put "skinny" spare tires on the back to reduce friction, not put two spares in the back of the van.....
    No thats not the way it's worded.

With the old tires on the front and 2 spare tires, floor jack, full tank of gas, and rear seat in the back I ran a 15.8 at 84mph with a 2.375 60ft. ...
    He says old tires in the front, seperated by AND, and then he lists everything he has in the back of the van.

Well let's wait for him to clarify before arguing too far down a blind hole.

I think 84mph on 12 psi is really great considering full weight and stock exhaust. I think the thing will show major gains with exhaust and weight loss.

Well once he does exhaust he'll have to be running a calibration with larger injectors for probably around 18 PSI because he isn't gonna keep it much under that with no backpressure.

With 18 PSI, exhaust, and weight loss, and better traction he should be able to even crack 14's.

If i remember correctly he already tried something on the exhaust and ran into creep, but i dont remember what. It's covered somewhere, im just too lazy to go look!

Yeah a cutout IIRC, but creeping on a 2 bar map is bad. Once he gets a cal with 3 bar he can set the wastegate around 14 PSI and it'll creep up to 18 by the time he's at the top of the RPM band. It's a perfect setup without slicks because it'll help with traction.

But what I'd really like to know right now is what tire pressure's he was running on that 15.8 time. Like I said, if he's not airing down the fronts to like 20 PSI and pumping up the rear to ~50 I bet he can get mid 15's just by doing that.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    But what I'd really like to know right now is what tire pressure's he was running on that 15.8 time. Like I said, if he's not airing down the fronts to like 20 PSI and pumping up the rear to ~50 I bet he can get mid 15's just by doing that.
    Is it your experience that you can drop tenths by airing down cheap RADIAL tires?
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Is it your experience that you can drop tenths by airing down cheap RADIAL tires?
    Tenths? How about seconds! lol. Ever run a 15.0 at 108mph? I did, with a 2.8 60ft time. Not burnout or anything. Aired down the front tires to like 18 or so if I remember correctly, did a burnout, and the results were 2.2 short time with a 13.7 at 106mph timeslip. This was with a 2.5L in a shadow with a 5 speed, not exactly comparable but the torque was just way too much for street tires. I was also running ~250-275 HP obviously so traction was even more of an issue than it is with this van.

Hybrid booster

The tires were at 32psi front and rear. I have a ported swingvalve/wastegate hole and 3" downpipe with a 3" cutout before the cat, but with it open it creeps and hits cutout fast. And I have my nice set of tires in the back of the van (2 spares). Next time I go I will take the stuff out of the back and put my nicer michelins on. Hopefully I can get a 3 bar tune that is dialed in to what I have done to my van. Maybe +20's and a stage 4 tune running 16psi? I don't plan on changing out the mitsu until it blows.

I still managed to kill a 90's lowered bmw (he ran 16.3) on my first run. After he parked his car and didn't race again that night. Too embarrassed.
    Last edited by jefo; 03-06-2013 at 03:46 AM.

turbo addict

I love racing vans! I miss mine so much...make me want to pick that turbo van up even more I saw on CL!!!

The tires were at 32psi front and rear
    Pump up the rears to 45-50 and air down the fronts to atleast 20. It will take 1-2 tenths off your 60' time and 3-4 tenths off your 1/4 time.

turbo addict

Need to play with tire pressures in the front because it depends on the brand. I had one set that liked 20psi and a set of yoko's that liked to be at 32psi for best launches. So it's different for every brand and model of tire just have to play with it a bit to find out.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast