Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1989 Dodge Daytona C/S Build Thread

Garrett booster

1989 Dodge Daytona C/S Build Thread

1989 Dodge Daytona C/S

So I picked up an old Dodge Daytona C/S a few nights ago. It doesn't exactly run... Yet. The previous owner was adding a Holley 255 LPH fuel pump and blew air threw the fuel lines trying to get the fuel out of the lines so he could clean it or something. He said it ran perfectly until he did that. He thinks it just blew a hose off because of the air pressure going through it. It should hopefully start after I reattach that... The guy who owned it last had a ton of aftermarket parts installed on it. I could sell the parts on the car for more than what its worth. It does have a few other minor things wrong with it though. The drivers side door needs adjusted because it sticks when you try to open it, the shocks on the hatchback need replaced because the hatch closes as soon as you open it, no big deal, There is some surface rust on the hood and roof so it'll need sanded and the entire car will get painted, its missing the head unit, the gear shift lever thing is missing (Not entirely sure what the technical name is) but over all the car is in very good shape. The interior looked brand new after I got home and swept it out and used McGuiers Leather Treatment on it. It had like a black coating over it from where it had been sitting under a tree, but a nice pressure washing took care of it for the most part.

--Performance--

3 inch ATR turbo back exhaust system
    40% upgraded Fuel Injectors
    Flow Matched Head/ Turbo Manifold
    New stock Head and Cam
    Mopar Computer
    Holley 255 LPH Fuel Pump (Ghetto-Rigged by PO and removed)
    Airtex OEM Fuel Pump
    Turbo Xs BoV
    Added factory Front Mount Intercooler and Radiator from a Shelby Z (Originally non-intercooled)
    Accel Ignition Coils
    Counterforce Pressure Plate
    A-568 Transmission Swap

--Suspension/Brakes--

Sway Bars (Front and Rear)
    Adjustable Koni Shocks
    Koni Struts
    Mopar Springs
    Wearever Rotors
    Wearever High Performance Brake Pads
    Wagner Calipers

Kenwood Door Speakers
    --Audio--

Kenwood Door Speakers

--Exterior/Interior--

Front Chin Spoiler (Not yet attached)
    Replaced OEM rear view mirror
    Replaced OEM Passenger window crank
    Astra-Hammond Rear window Louver

Now it's picture time!

Before and After pressure washing it.

Chipped paint...

Surface rust...

These rims rub so much...

Missing Head Unit

Im not even sure what to call this...

Mmmm Boost gauges

More pics will be uploaded as I make progress on this. The Daytona is now my official project car, so if you know of anything I can do to improve it let me know!
    Last edited by Stowers74; 07-22-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: 1989 Dodge Daytona C/S Build Thread

Good luck with the diagnosis! Seems silly to upgrade a car and then just give up on it when one silly thing happens... hopefully there's not more wrong.

Garrett booster

Thats what I was thinking lol. The guy I bought it from said he just got through a divorce and would rather spend time/money with his 4 year old kid and he'd rather see the car go to someone that can get it looking like how it did when he first had it. Lets hope thats the truth and there isnt more wrong... Any tips on dropping the tank and cleaning it or fixing the fuel pump?

turbo addict

Looks like it was a factory a/c delete car, too!

Garrett booster

Yeah I noticed it didn't have an AC. Is that... Bad?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Stowers74 View Post
    Yeah I noticed it didn't have an AC. Is that... Bad?
    It's only bad if want A/C Actually probaly makes your car more rare

I would price a new tank before having the old tank repaired and if the the fuel pump is bad you can replace just the pump and reuse the hanger

Garrett booster

From the way the Guy was talking, he had just put in a new pump before it quit and one of the hoses or something came off. I'm gonna try to clean the tank myself and then buy a new one if its completely rusted out.. which is very poss
    ible

Garrett booster

Got tired of looking at the bare shifter today so I went to autozone and bought a cheap knob. It actually looks better than what I thought it would. Its just temporary though. Eventually I'll upgrade to a short throw and weighted shift knob.

boostaholic

You don't have to drop the tank to remove the fuel pump. Jack up the rr end and jack stand the car so the rr axle drops and you'll have the clearance to remove the fuel pump out the rr of the tank. Good luck with your project.

Is the car a competition package car or a performance package car? If it is comp pkg, the data plate on the rad support will have the AGS code. If it is performance package, it will have an AGB code. Comp pkg cars were 2.2 T2 from the factory and did not have AC.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Is the car a competition package car or a performance package car? If it is comp pkg, the data plate on the rad support will have the AGS code. If it is performance package, it will have an AGB code. Comp pkg cars were 2.2 T2 from the factory and did not have AC.
    x2, mine wasnt suppose to have it either but someone added it, I pulled all of the under hood stuff out and am still deciding which way to go with it, to have or not to have, it sure would be nice though! Keep us updated on the progress!
    1989 Daytona AGS CS 2.5TII A555, S60 1986 600es Convertible turbo 1969/8 Barracuda 318, 904 1966 Dart Station Wagon 1996 Dakota 5.2 4wd 1979 Honda CM400T Hard tailed Chopper

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    You don't have to drop the tank to remove the fuel pump. Jack up the rr end and jack stand the car so the rr axle drops and you'll have the clearance to remove the fuel pump out the rr of the tank. Good luck with your project.
    I'm going to go ahead and drop the tank so that I can clean it. It may have some sort of sediment sitting at the bottom where it's been sitting a while. Any tips for cleaning it? I've hear that you can use a chain or something and stick it in the tank and shake it to knock any rust free. Is that true?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Unfortunately it's just the Performance Package. From what I've heard there were only a little over 200 competitions made. What does it mean if its the AGB and still has the AC delete?

boostaholic

When you attempt to get the two nuts off that hold the straps up, run a tap up the thread to the nut before you try taking off the nuts..I've learned this the hard way..and make sure you dous the nut in liquid wrench or something simular the night before..

Quote Originally Posted by Stowers74 View Post
    Unfortunately it's just the Performance Package. From what I've heard there were only a little over 200 competitions made. What does it mean if its the AGB and still has the AC delete?
    The performance package cars are pretty good in their own right with the 2.5 turbo. There were 269 AGS package cars built in 89 and 2236 AGB performance package cars. It doesn't really mean anything if it is AGB w/ AC delete, just makes the car a bit more unusual as not many came without AC. The white with maroon interior is also a somewhat rare color combination.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Garrett booster

Finally got the time to work on it a little yesterday. The battery Is like completely shot. I got it charged enough to where i could turn the key to where the lights would show but it didnt have enough power to turn over. I could hear the fuel pump prime so that should be a good sign. I took the fuel filter out to see if it was bad. It still had gas in it, that was surprisingly still good gas as far as I could tell. It still smelled like gas and wasnt gummed up and thick like how it is when it goes bad. Anyways, I blew through the filter and air still came out of it, that means it is still good from what I understand. I turned it on to where the pump would prime with the filter out to see if any gas was going through the lines. Nothing came out, but that could be because I wasnt pressing the gas pedal? (I didn't think about that til about 2 hours after we finished.. Ill try it again tomorrow to see if that makes a difference).
    The previous owner said he thinks the hose from the pump into the tank came off. Would the pump still prime if that hose thing came off?

turbo addict

The pump would still run, but if that hose is disconnected inside the tank no fuel will come out of the fuel lines.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster

Picked up a cheap battery today so I could really start working on the Daytona. I turned the key just to check to see if it would turn on.. It didn't But the engine did crank which is a good thing. At least the engine isn't locked up. I also bought a floor jack so I could jack the rear end up and try to find the pump. I'm like 90% sure that It is the pump. It's located on the back side towards the right isn't it? I sprayed some PB Blaster on it and I'm going to let it sit over night and try taking it out tomorrow after work. How exactly do I go about taking it out? Does it like just twist out or do I need a special tool to pop it out? And if the hose is disconnected inside the tank how exactly do I get it out? Would I have to drop the tank?

Heres a pic of what I think the pump is -- Correct me if im wrong lol

Garrett booster

That's the top part of the fuel pump assembly. Its held in by a ring that twists on and off. You can see some tabs on the inside of the ring just put a flat head screw driver on it and either hit it with your palm or a hammer. it will turn and pop off and you will see the pump release. If your tank is full gas may spill out. Put just pull your pump assembly, you may have to turn it and angle it depending on the assembly. I've only ever done it on a L body so i don't know what the Daytona assembly looks like. someone that has done it on a Daytona can chime in if they'd like. Hope this helps.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyman52 View Post
    That's the top part of the fuel pump assembly. Its held in by a ring that twists on and off. You can see some tabs on the inside of the ring just put a flat head screw driver on it and either hit it with your palm or a hammer. it will turn and pop off and you will see the pump release. If your tank is full gas may spill out. Put just pull your pump assembly, you may have to turn it and angle it depending on the assembly. I've only ever done it on a L body so i don't know what the Daytona assembly looks like. someone that has done it on a Daytona can chime in if they'd like. Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much!! I wouldve felt dumb if I took it out and it wasnt the pump... So the PO said he thinks the sock on the inside of the tank blew off while he was blowing air through it to get fuel out of the lines. If the sock was off, Would it be somewhere floating in the tank or still somewhat attatched to the pump? If its in the tank how can I get it out lol?

Garrett booster

It could be floating in the tank but if im not mistaken which i probably am. The sock is only there to prevent any type of dirt or crude from getting into the fuel line and to the injectors. If the sock came off your pump should still pump gas. The sock could be on but just clogged. Or the pump is shot or the wiring went bad. My wiring burned through and i had to replace it. But who knows till you take it out and inspect it.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast