Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sdac-23

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Sdac-23

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaV12 View Post
    Mexico
    Ya know, there are a ton of good enthusiasts in TurboMX, however none of them are SDAC members, yet

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz's '87 Shadow View Post
    I vote for Cincy again, it was a nice setup and everybody seemed to have had a good time. Whatever you decide, it would be nice to have a central location so it isn't so far away.

Fuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I see it was in Pittsburgh once, was there anything bad about that location? What were the events like and where were they?

Pretty much all the normal locations are fairly close to me but Pittsburgh is the closest... well unless it was near columbus using national trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I still want the Norwalk, OH area guys to give it a go at some point. I was really looking forward to that area when it was tried a few years back.
    Votes are very much appreciated, but unfortunately, votes do not determine where the event is located because:

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    NO chapter has submitted a proposal to host next year..
    and with next year being only our second year, we will only be looking at locations with strong chapter support. We learned a ton this year on how to run the event and a HUGE part of how well it ran was a strong local chapter (Great Lakes) that has hosted multiple other events.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Can someone give a brief overview of what it takes to host? I'm assuming reservations, planning a fun run, etc. What is the chapter responsible for vs. JT and the other leaders? I think we have the right facilities here in NY......especially if we could piggy back on an scca event at watkins glen....we have great drags, fantastic scenery on the finger lakes, etc. Just curious as to the work load involved.....
    In short, the local chapter needs to research all of the local locations (hotel, car show location, tracks, hospitality night etc) and come up with a plan that fits our typical schedule. The plan will be reviewed and locations/costs compared with others with respect to SDAC member location and, expected attendance, and ability to break even and then a decision will be made...

If any chapters are seriously considering their area for SDAC-23 PLEASE e-mail me directly at: jt <at> sdac <.> org

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

As someone who was actively involved in the leg work for SDAC 20 it is a lot of work! It is something a lot of thought and time goes into.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Garrett booster

Is there anything that the general membership can help out a local chapter with the logistics, even if only during the SDAC weekend? Aka, Jaren "running" the drags for the day.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

The local folks usually help park cars at the car show. We actually had more GL chapter volunteers for this than we needed, but that is unusual. If the local folks plan a rally type event, then they work it also. For an event like we just had, I was the only one needed to run it, but for the rally in Pittsburgh where it was a poker run, about a half dozen local folks helped out, one at each stop on the route.

Some drag strips only include a minimum of workers, and in that instance we have relied on folks to work the timing booth, starting line, announcing, etc. So the amount of local folks needed to help out at an event varies.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Minnesota would be Awesome!!!!!! Brainerd is a good enough track to have us all running our fastest times! Prob cost a fortune to rent though

Although the upside might be the road course that they also have + room for a auto-cross as well. Hmmmmmmm
    Many years ago some of us in MN looked into possiblity of renting Brainerd track for dragstrip and roadcourse/autocross for possible SDAC event. It was insane what they wanted to rent the track out for. Can't remember the $ but it was probably 20 times what we could afford. The track I believe is under new ownership since we last contacted them. BTW- Brainerd is 140 miles North of Twin Cities, MN. Also have decent very low cost 1/8 mile track 90 miles West of cities. Other 1/4 mile track near Twin Cities (and I use this term loosely) is Rock Falls, in O'Claire, WI. This is 100+ miles East of Twin Cities. Very nice 1/4 mile track but they are about the most expensive track you could go to for test-n-tune days. Ten years ago they got about $85 for simple test-n-tune day. Can't imagine what they would get for renting the track out for private function. Do you think the Twin Cities needs a local track?(LOL) Everyone here wants local track, but no body wants it in their backyard, so any talk of local track goes no where. They have been talking about one for the last 20 years!!! Since we have very few options for tracks around here, the ones that are here get maximum buck to race at.
    Southern suburb of Twin Cities has a fantastic dedicated autocross course located on Technical school property. The local law enforcement use this course to learn how to drive. This I could potentially see as a realistic rental facility.
    MNSDAC chapter doesn't have a large membership, or one that is really active in motorsport events. When I go to a dragstrip, it would be very unusual if more than a couple of TM owners would actually race. I usually go out with my RWD buddies, although we did get a couple TM guys to try running their cars for the first time late last year.
    Host hotel I do not think would be a problem, there are endless possibilities there. Affordable track rental would be by far the biggest roadblock. This is probably the case for anyone that hosts SDAC event.
    Todd

turbo addict

You might be surprised what is considered affordable. Ask JT what the average rates are.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Can someone give a brief overview of what it takes to host? I'm assuming reservations, planning a fun run, etc. What is the chapter responsible for vs. JT and the other leaders? I think we have the right facilities here in NY......especially if we could piggy back on an scca event at watkins glen....we have great drags, fantastic scenery on the finger lakes, etc. Just curious as to the work load involved.....
    the way I understand it is the local chapter is basically responsible for setting up the entire thing. SDAC takes care of contracts and what not, and runs the events on site, but the local chapter basically does all of the ground work to get all the locations together, scheduled etc.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Norwalk OH, that's even further,

Well of course, its a 10 hour drive for you.
    I was in San Diego the week before SDAC. I made it.

I agree that the distance is too far but that is just life. Most of the people aren't on the West coast. So does it make sense to make a few people travel real far or a lot of people travel real far? Opinions are gonna be based off of what group you are in. Now that I am in Texas I can't justify the trip towing a car. I'll have to have something really really nice to make that long as trip. Flying in to the event isn't that bad.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior222 View Post
    what does this map say to you though? ...

Probably your best bet for "close" is to bug the minnesota lot to step up.
    mn here!

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Here's a basic rundown of the requirements:

Hotel: Must be big enough to handle our group - up to 80 rooms available - Pool - Meeting room for 200 people - Accessible with good parking for trucks/trailers. Needs to be a decent hotel and priced reasonable, I think the Marriot we had this year is the nicest hotel we've stayed in and also the most expensive at $89/night.

Drag Strip: Need to be available on a weekday (monday or tuesday), rental price of past tracks has been in the $3,000-$6,000 range with insurance and ambulance included. We had about 50 cars drag racing this year.

Road Course: Price is the big issue here, it's been a challenge to find any rentals that fit our budget. Based on past numbers I think we saw about 20-30 racers with a cost of $200 for a track day. So that's within 4-6k with insurance.

Autocross: We don't own any timing equipment or cones, so would need to partner with a club that does (SCCA for example). Would also need to have a facility willing to let us use their lot for the event. Ideally on a Monday/Tuesday to fit with the Drag schedule. This year we partnered with the detroit region SCCA and got our own spec class on their Saturday event. It wasn't ideal as it occurred before our event registration, but we still had about 20 people participate.

Car Show: A park or nice setting that will accomodate at least 100 cars and allow space for spectator parking and swap meet. The local guys are usually needed to help with parking on the date of the show. Cost is usually minimal for a car show venue, $200-400 is pretty typical.

Fun Rally: This doesn't cost us anything besides a few bucks to run off copies of the instructions, that's the good part. The local chapter really has to plan the route, create the questions etc. Our routes are usually around 100miles.

Hospitality Night: We need a facility that can feed 150ish people for a reasonable price. Good food, preferrably something with a local flair.

As to what falls on the local chapter: It starts with putting a plan together, get a quote from the tracks, a list of hotels in the area that meet our needs and let JT and I know. If we choose your region, then the local guys would work on planning the Rally, Hospitality night, getting lists of local attractions, maps, car show parking, local donations etc..
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Thanks Dave, that is good info.

Hybrid booster

Las Vegas, Nevada...I live in california and would gladly go to Las Vegas! Shiitttt we all can get drunk down the STRIP!
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

turbo addict

Thanks for the info....ill run it by the guys and see if we can put somethong together

turbo addict

Bah humbug.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the info....ill run it by the guys and see if we can put somethong together
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    Bah humbug.
    Shoot me a PM if you guys need any ideas. Two hotels that come to mind would be the RIT Inn and conference center which is just 2 minutes off of I-90 and also dead this time of year or The double tree in at 1111 Jefferson rd which is I-90 to 390 and a right turn

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

Hawaii
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Hawaii
    Will never happen, nobody wants to see me in a grass skirt.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Will never happen, nobody wants to see me in a grass skirt.
    I think Alan would.
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

turbo addict

We could sell tickets to that, Dave, people would likely enjoy participating in the hilarity that would ensue.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

I think Alan would.
    I bet JT would too. :P

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast