Thread: anyone installed the TU radiator on 1990 daytona shelby VNT

Mitsu booster

anyone installed the TU radiator on 1990 daytona shelby VNT

Hi All.
    I am a new member and wanted to know if anyone has installed the radiator from Turbos Unleashed on a 1990 daytona shelby VNT? I have one of these vehicles and need a replacement radiator. I have spoken to Chris and was looking to see if anyone has done this and how did it work out for you as far as installation?

turbo addict

Re: anyone installed the TU radiator on 1990 daytona shelby VNT

I put one of them in my 91 R/T, which should have a very similar arrangement as the VNT cars. I did not use the factory intercooler since I'm running a FMIC. The radiator I got from Chris came with a little L-shaped bracket for the upper passenger side mount. I used some tubing as spacers for that mount to put it in the right spot. I used some 1"x1/8" aluminum bar stock for the lower mount; simply made it long enough to span between the factory mounts on the radiator support and bolted the radiator to that. I used the factory rubber bushings, placed a bolt with a 15mm head in the bushing, laid the stock over it and then put a nut on the threads that stuck through. In retrospect it may be a bit more secure putting a couple nuts insude the bushing and threading the bolts into the bushings. For the upper driver's side mount I used that same 1x1/8" stock again, bent it 90* and went to the factory hole on the upper radiator support. The fill neck is VERY close to the hood, likely within 3/8", it pushes up on the padding. I used an overflow tank from Speedway motors, bolted to the driver's side endtank.

For the radiator fan I used a GLHS unit I had sitting around since I needed something relatively slim and didn't have the time/money to buy and mount an aftermarket fan. The later fan like yours will need mounts fabricated and it may be a little too big. IIRC, the core size on the VNT cars is 15"x15", the GLHS is 15"x13".

I'll try to take some pics soon.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Isn't the height of the rad different between the TII and TIV rads too? I know the width of the units is not the same between the TII and TIII stuff, but I thought the height was also off.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I would expect the height to be different, yes. The fan in my Charger came out of a V6 Spirit, and I had to fabricate extensions for it to reach the clips at the bottom of the radiator where the factory fan clipped in. I think they're about an 1 1/2" or so long, so I think the later '90-up radiators would be about that much shorter than the earlier cars.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jim1058 View Post
    Hi All.
    I am a new member and wanted to know if anyone has installed the radiator from Turbos Unleashed on a 1990 daytona shelby VNT? I have one of these vehicles and need a replacement radiator. I have spoken to Chris and was looking to see if anyone has done this and how did it work out for you as far as installation?
    When Chris began the radiator project, I sent him the measurements and pics of a 90 VNT rad I just got back from being recored.

The 1990 Daytona VNT radiator is unique for that year and model.

Other years (older and newer) will not fit without modification or fabrication. Believe me, I tried. A 1990 Shadow VNT rad will not fit in a Daytona (I tried that too). The replacement rad for the model shown in all the books at the radiator shops (or even Rock Auto) are incorrect and list a radiator for a TBI car.

Now back to your original question. I don't know if the rads Chris is making will work in a 90 VNT or not. While he had the measurements, it is different enough from ALL other years and models, it seems it would not be worth the effort to make it fit that model and the others as well.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    When Chris began the radiator project, I sent him the measurements and pics of a 90 VNT rad I just got back from being recored.

The 1990 Daytona VNT radiator is unique for that year and model.

Other years (older and newer) will not fit without modification or fabrication. Believe me, I tried. A 1990 Shadow VNT rad will not fit in a Daytona (I tried that too). The replacement rad for the model shown in all the books at the radiator shops (or even Rock Auto) are incorrect and list a radiator for a TBI car.

Now back to your original question. I don't know if the rads Chris is making will work in a 90 VNT or not. While he had the measurements, it is different enough from ALL other years and models, it seems it would not be worth the effort to make it fit that model and the others as well.

Barry
    It's the same with the Shadows. 90' Rads are a one year fitment for those too.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

One of the radiator assemblies Chris borrowed from me was from a 90 VNT Daytona. I don't know if he has provisions on his radiator to fit your car, but he did have one in his hands to measure.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

As noted, during the design phase of these radiators Barry provided us with the '90 Daytona VNT radiator dimensions. We later acquired a Daytona VNT radiator locally courtesy of Vic Dobney.

While the VNT core height/width dimensions may differ slightly, the upper and lower mounting brackets of our custom aluminum replacement radiators can be adjusted for a multitude of pin/grommet locations. Even the passenger side bracket can be slid up or down depending on radiator support mount location. It's been a while and I cannot recollect the drivers side intercooler attachment configuration for the VNT though. If it is identical to the earlier style then the factory upper and lower intercooler brackets should mount up without any difficulty. If the VNT shares the TIII R/T style then mounting provisions are already included in the new aluminum radiator and the factory brackets and/or new ones may need to be fabricated.

We decided on the L-Body dimensions but with a thicker then the factory 2-core size to enhance cooling when used in larger body styles. Our custom aluminum radiators are more like 2.5 core and actually hold about 1/2 a quart more then a standard TII Daytona Radiator. We sold 35 of these radiators in our first batch but are unaware if any were installed in a G-Body VNT vehicle.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----