Thread: Reassembling Transmission

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Reassembling Transmission

Hey guys - thanks in advance for any tips and knowledge you can provide.

I am buttoning up my new 568/523 hybrid, and I've run into a few small issues - maybe you've encountered them before:

(1) My 1993 FSM refers to a "End Cover to Bearing Retainer Bolt" under the "Manual Transaxle Tightening Reference" section. I can't for the life of me figure out where this bolt is - it's not mentioned explicitly in the disassembly/reassembly walkthrough, and the only bolts on my end cover seem to connect to the case...

(2) I didn't notice soon enough, but apparently the FSM calls for the use of certain new bolts during reassembly, because some bolts come with an epoxy patch. I have used Loctite Red Threadlocker on the fifth gear nut and the ring gear bolts, but the rest of the fasteners are in there dry. Is this a big problem? Also, is it necessary to get the torque exactly right on the fifth gear nut? I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 220 ft-lbs, so I just put my Ingersoll-Rand impact gun (which does 450 ft-lbs max) on the "low" ("1") setting and let her rip until the nut stopped turning.

(3) I can shift into first through fourth gear, and into reverse, just fine, but I can't get the transmission into fifth. I've tried manually rotating the intermediate shaft to try and align the dog teeth, but it's not working. Is there anything special that has to be done in order to ensure that the fifth gear synchro functions correctly?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Reassembling Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by BaxterStockman View Post
    Hey guys - thanks in advance for any tips and knowledge you can provide.

I am buttoning up my new 568/523 hybrid, and I've run into a few small issues - maybe you've encountered them before:

(1) My 1993 FSM refers to a "End Cover to Bearing Retainer Bolt" under the "Manual Transaxle Tightening Reference" section. I can't for the life of me figure out where this bolt is - it's not mentioned explicitly in the disassembly/reassembly walkthrough, and the only bolts on my end cover seem to connect to the case...

(2) I didn't notice soon enough, but apparently the FSM calls for the use of certain new bolts during reassembly, because some bolts come with an epoxy patch. I have used Loctite Red Threadlocker on the fifth gear nut and the ring gear bolts, but the rest of the fasteners are in there dry. Is this a big problem? Also, is it necessary to get the torque exactly right on the fifth gear nut? I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 220 ft-lbs, so I just put my Ingersoll-Rand impact gun (which does 450 ft-lbs max) on the "low" ("1") setting and let her rip until the nut stopped turning.

(3) I can shift into first through fourth gear, and into reverse, just fine, but I can't get the transmission into fifth. I've tried manually rotating the intermediate shaft to try and align the dog teeth, but it's not working. Is there anything special that has to be done in order to ensure that the fifth gear synchro functions correctly?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I'm pretty sure that's what they are referring to.

If your gun is 1/2" like mine that's a recipe for disaster. Most guys say they use their 1/2" guns on full bore to install them at that torque. I've done it on an auto before, but I would probably buy the tool to finish off a hybrid.

I haven't the foggiest regarding #3.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hi - thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure that's what they are referring to. That's possible, but there's also a field in the torque specs for "End Cover to Case" bolts.

If your gun is 1/2" like mine that's a recipe for disaster. Most guys say they use their 1/2" guns on full bore to install them at that torque. I've done it on an auto before, but I would probably buy the tool to finish off a hybrid. I removed the nut and tried the torque wrench (which is 1/2") at full bore. Think I'll take my chances, 'cause I've sunk enough moolah into this project as is. Funny thing, the red threadlocker seemed to harden almost instantly. May be unwise, guess we'll see...

I haven't the foggiest regarding #3. So, turns out I had the synchro ring on backwards...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That's interesting. It's been a while since I've had one apart, but aren't there bolts which only go through the plate which retains the main shaft bearing? Perhaps those are the bolts they are referring to?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The bearing support is the steel piece that bolts to the aluminum bearing retainer with 4 short M8 bolts. The 523/568 the bolts go directly thru the support into the aluminum bearing plate. The older 525/520/555 the steel bearing retianer support was larger and held on by all the end cover bolts. Mayeb this is the confusion in the instructions which were converted from old to new? They are all M8 and into aluminum, what are the two torque values between the two?

Al FSM bolts that have the blue adhesive will say use new bolts. You can clean/degrease and use the "blue" 242 threadlock Permatex/loctite, etc is equivalent.

Asssuing you are articulating the trans shift levers by hand and not with cables.... For 5th I would make sure the fork and actuation thingy (that the shift selector aligns with) are properly attached to the rail (rod). If you have the end cover off, you have to make sure the bearing end plate is butt up against (or bolted to) the case or the 5th gear will push the case apart instead of engaging.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.