Thread: alternator wiring (91 2.5 t2)

alternator wiring (91 2.5 t2)

Wiring up my alternator and im looking to know which of the two smaller wires goes on top and which goes on the bottom. Anyone know of the top of their head? thanks for you time dodge gurus

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

and if anyone was wondering one is blue, while the other is green.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: alternator wiring (91 2.5 t2)

The two field wires do not matter which one goes to which stud. As long as the connection is clean and tight the alternator and voltage regulator will function the same. One is a key-on voltage wire to excite the field and the other is the sensor wire used to control the field.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

thanks for the reply!

turbo addict

Hmm...this thread looks familar and makes me lul. I just asked the same question. I didnt think it mattered.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Funny thing is when following the pin-outs at the black harness connector behind the battery according to the FSM, my green and blue wires were switched around (presumably) at the factory.

Sorry to bump such and old thread, but yes, I'm chasing a no-charge issue on my Daytona. CEL, Code 41, voltage gauge in the car reading very low. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the issue.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Funny thing is when following the pin-outs at the black harness connector behind the battery according to the FSM, my green and blue wires were switched around (presumably) at the factory.

Sorry to bump such and old thread, but yes, I'm chasing a no-charge issue on my Daytona. CEL, Code 41, voltage gauge in the car reading very low. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the issue.
    Adam, have you had the alternator bench tested yet? I was having a bunch of electrical issues on the '86 Omni GLH I recently brought back to life. I installed a new battery, new battery cables, rebuilt alternator and it was still showing low on the gauge. I installed a FWDP ground wire kit and things started looking a lot better. The gauges aren't freaking out, the stereo sounds better, all the lights are brighter etc.. This nearly 30 year old wiring harness just needed some ground 'help' it seemed.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

No, it seems to have just been a corroded connection somewhere. I had the battery on an automatic trickle charger all day while I was at work, and planned to put it back together to do some tests outlined in the FSM. When I got to the shop, I cleaned up all the connections on the harness and alternator with a wire brush, put it all back together, and now it charges just fine. Voltage gauge reads right where it should, and I measured 14.30 volts at the battery. So I guess the car was just asking for some maintenance.