Thread: Lithium batteries

turbo addict

Lithium batteries

Saw these in the Grm magazine and checked them out. Use lithium batteries like an RC car. These things are friggin light too, not a bad price either compared to a similar Odyssey.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/8cell.php
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Re: Lithium batteries

That's pretty spendy, I wonder what if anything is stopping us from using like a 2s2p 8000mah Rc car battery? From a company like Sky that could be built for 30 bucks. I would be afraid of the battery going dead, because once it does chances are the battery is now garbage.

turbo addict

I think the issue with using RC car batteries is charging. I assume the batteries from the original link have some sort of circuit in the battery to prevent them from being damaged by the charging system. I know when I went from Ni-Cad to Ni-MH batteries for my R/C I had to get a better charger and I think the Li batteries require different chargers also. When I upgraded my drill to Li power I had to get a different charger for it also

turbo addict
    The way these batteries are set up the vehicles charging voltage won't overcharge it. Balancing isn't required but reccomended. If you look at their charger that balances (90 dollars) it is merely an imax b6 RC charger rebranded (40 dollars).
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict
    As far as price goes, the Odyssey pc680 is 150 bucks, weighs 15lbs, 17ah, and has 370ca. This battery is 160 bucks, weighs 1.7 lbs, 15ah, and has 275ca. Also the evo2's at rest voltage is 13.6 volts, the odyssey is 12.6, this means that you dont need as much amperage from the battery to start.

If you are worried that one won't do it for you they 3 more that are larger with 410 or 500 cranking amps but still weigh less than 5lbs.
    Last edited by shackwrrr; 06-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Has anyone purchased a Lithium Ion battery for their car? Considering getting one and have a source for one that's about $200, but leery about the life, recharging issues, etc. Anyone?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    As far as price goes, the Odyssey pc680 is 150 bucks, weighs 15lbs, 17ah, and has 370ca. This battery is 160 bucks, weighs 1.7 lbs, 15ah, and has 275ca. Also the evo2's at rest voltage is 13.6 volts, the odyssey is 12.6, this means that you dont need as much amperage from the battery to start.

If you are worried that one won't do it for you they 3 more that are larger with 410 or 500 cranking amps but still weigh less than 5lbs.
    Wow, the prices have gone up on those odyssey batteries. I thought i paid around $85 several years ago when i had to buy one for my Evo VIII after installing cruise. I needed the small battery for the room.
    Never had on in the mopars though. The garden tractor battery in Slug still works fine, but it still is alot heavier than 5 lbs!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

I messed around with a lot of the lithium cells, there are maybe half a dozen chemistries. I used a lipo RC pack for a track day ONCE, it was destroyed after a couple sessions. I spun out once, and it had a really hard time starting the car back up. I threw in a couple other packs which were lithium iron and they worked fine. One was built from dewalt drill battery cells believe it or not, and it worked fine.

The issue with lipo is that the voltage doesn't work out right. The range it likes to live in is 4.2v down to around 3.6v, which for a four pack of cells wont match what the alternator/regulator is trying to do.

The 8 cell lithium iron packs like what ballistic does, does work out right for most charging systems. I had some of those built, and they did work fine for me. These lithium iron cells are 3.3 to 3.7v fully charged, so they do 4 series 2 in parallel.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

Check out the Maxwell Ultracapacitors. Not the best reserve capacity but crazy amperage and charging speed. Ultra lite too.

turbo addict

Started a high compression small block 4 months ago just using two 9,800 3s in parallel just for $hit and giggles

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Not sure if was 1 or 2 years ago I did this. Needed a new battery tie down system so I just started over. I put together a tractor solenoid shutoff system to avoid draining the battery. This means I have zero memory function in that car.
    Someone else installed the same battery into their 3000gt and killed his battery with parasitic drag. Told them he had it in a car and they denied warranty. Had nothing to do with what it was installed on except that it probably has more drag.

I did this because the replacement Motobatt was double what I bought it for many years ago. Ridiculous. Think I posted pictures on Facebook.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Has anyone installed a name brand (or branded) lithium ion battery, not piece meal one, and run it for longer than 2 years? I'm curious as to the longevity of any of them, but in particular I'm interested in issues with charging and overall life. Brent, what was the brand you used, Motobatt? Was that the same brand used in your friend's car?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]