Thread: Turbonetics T3 bolt pattern compatible with Ford 5 bolt pattern?

Mitsu booster

Question Turbonetics T3 bolt pattern compatible with Ford 5 bolt pattern?

So I've been having a hell of a time/dilemma trying to figure out how I'm going to get the exhaust fabbed up in the GLH. As I'm sure we'll all well aware, there is hardly any room in the L-body engine bay and that situation is compounded by the use of a 16V head. The way the turbo is sitting right now, I have about 6" towards the passenger side and 6" down to get a downpipe in there. Ideally I want a 3" downpipe as well (yes, I want my cake and to eat it too with no calories and great tasting). The photos show the current setup but I also have the ATP Ultimate Internal Wastegate which should flow a lot more. Problem is, that it is bigger/longer and takes up even more precious space.

I did some digging around and found this piece from TurbosUnleashed http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/chry...lve-p-377.html. My questions is that does anyone know this Chrysler/Ford multi 5 bolt pattern is compatible with the Turbonetics T3 pattern?

If it is, I'll probably grab this even though my past dealings with TU have been less than stellar. Looking for a low cost high performance (oxy moron?) solution here. I'll just put it out here too that I've contemplated going external wastegate as well but I don't really feel like cutting into a 1 of 501 (or so) exhaust manifolds and the external wastegates are quite a bit more $$$. Really on a limited budget here too.

Photo with the 6" x 6" styrofoam block
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gomfz3m9wrvqo9y/IMAG0081.jpg
    Photo without the styrofoam block
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1sd6s5zzf3vkvv/IMAG0082.jpg

Here is a video showing the available space: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95e3bsjuwkrwz8c/VIDEO0031.3gp

Last edited by GLHTC16V; 05-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Turbonetics T3 bolt pattern compatible with Ford 5 bolt pattern?

What styrofoam block?

Yes, TU's SV is supposed to be for the Garrett Sv, a few have used it and it works.

Which head?

Others have run 3" setups so I am sure those will pipe up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What styrofoam block?

Yes, TU's SV is supposed to be for the Garrett Sv, a few have used it and it works.

Which head?

Others have run 3" setups so I am sure those will pipe up.
    Sorry, messed up the link to the photo with the styrofoam block, fixed it.

Maserati head. The exhaust manifold collects in the middle so it places the turbo closer to the passenger side versus stock.

Hybrid booster

Generally, the Chrysler T3 pattern is the unique one. When you see people say "Standard T3" bolt pattern, or flange, it is referring to what we call the Ford pattern.

So yes, you shouldn't have a problem using the 3" swingvalve on your car. Since you don't have power steering, you should actually have a good bit of space to make a decent downpipe.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...g-one-on-an-8v

That thread has a lot of info on using the Ultimate Swingvalve, everyone is using the Chrysler pattern one, but the information should still be good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHTC16V View Post
    Sorry, messed up the link to the photo with the styrofoam block, fixed it.

Maserati head. The exhaust manifold collects in the middle so it places the turbo closer to the passenger side versus stock.
    Pics or it didn't happen,

Yeah, the link Brian provided should help a bit too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

Pics or it didn't happen,

Yeah, the link Brian provided should help a bit too.
    Sometimes I wish it didn't happen. Then I would have been driving the car around for the last 12 years instead of watching it rot.

I'm trying to think of what would be a simpler solution to get the exhaust out to the back of the car. If I went with the TU 3" SV, then I would need one of those donuts and a flange to mate up to the custom downpipe. If I kept the ATP Ultimate, then I would need to find a talented welder to work some magic on getting the downpipe under the car. The outlet of the ATP is WAY past the centerline so the downpipe would have to look like a "?" shape. <sigh> Getting mentally frustrated again with this car, time to walk away from the computer.

Yeah, we've all been there, but once you drive it, you'll realize it was all worth it,

turbo addict

Get the T-stat installed in there?

The TU 3" won't work as it'll put the outlet at the wrong angle. I'm thinking you should stick with the ATP piece. The ATP piece will also move it up towards the WG a bit if it's the same as the chryco one.

Not going to run Power steering?

Marc don't be a pansy.

Now your stock manifold is even more rare

Both have now been drilled for external gates, and the stock flange has been machined off for T3 flanges to get welded on

Garrett booster

Glad to see you posted it here Marc, hopefully you get the answers you need.

Mitsu booster

Yeah, we've all been there, but once you drive it, you'll realize it was all worth it,
    Been itching to drive it for so long now. Got a line on a T3 exhaust elbow that might work with the ATP UI SV so I'm going to pursue that route.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Get the T-stat installed in there?

The TU 3" won't work as it'll put the outlet at the wrong angle. I'm thinking you should stick with the ATP piece. The ATP piece will also move it up towards the WG a bit if it's the same as the chryco one.

Not going to run Power steering?

Marc don't be a pansy.

Now your stock manifold is even more rare

Both have now been drilled for external gates, and the stock flange has been machined off for T3 flanges to get welded on
    No connection for a T-stat on this head. It only had that screw in magnesium piece. I did finally find an inline T-stat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0072/ Going to have to order up one of those next time I'm in the US.

No room for power steering. Power steering on race cars are for pansy's anyways. I'd probably cut up my exhaust manifold too if I had a spare. I've only had the courage so far to tap in for the EGT.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTIFIED View Post
    Glad to see you posted it here Marc, hopefully you get the answers you need.
    Thank's for the suggestion. Lemme know when you want to come by and see the car.

T3 exhaust elbow fits on a concave setup, so I can't see it working on an ATP SV.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHTC16V View Post
    No connection for a T-stat on this head. It only had that screw in magnesium piece. I did finally find an inline T-stat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WN0072/ Going to have to order up one of those next time I'm in the US.
    I knew you found one, didn't know you didn't order it yet, I was asking if you had it installed in the pics.

No room for power steering. Power steering on race cars are for pansy's anyways.
    No room? I'll have to check that out this weekend. I must have Powersteering. I do to much corner carving not to have it. Formula1 and Rally cars and just about every other race car that turns has power steering

I'd probably cut up my exhaust manifold too if I had a spare. I've only had the courage so far to tap in for the EGT.
    It's not a spare. The bottom one was mounted ready to have done to it what the top one ended up with when I noticed the difference in the webbing on the manifolds. I see yours has the same webbing as the bottom one pictured.

turbo addict

Marc I took some pics of my setup I was test fitting today. The exhaust is going to work with the ZF PS pump. Last 15 pics here: http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...Two+Five+Masi/

Might give you some ideas on how to do yours. I keep looking at your pics and video and think the ATP piece and a ZF PS pump will work if ya want to run PS.

Mitsu booster

T3 exhaust elbow fits on a concave setup, so I can't see it working on an ATP SV.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the "concave setup". It looks to me like a regular 90 degree elbow with proprietary flanges which could be cut off and the V band welded on. Could you please elaborate?

I knew you found one, didn't know you didn't order it yet, I was asking if you had it installed in the pics.

No room? I'll have to check that out this weekend. I must have Powersteering. I do to much corner carving not to have it. Formula1 and Rally cars and just about every other race car that turns has power steering

It's not a spare. The bottom one was mounted ready to have done to it what the top one ended up with when I noticed the difference in the webbing on the manifolds. I see yours has the same webbing as the bottom one pictured.
    Sorry, I talked to many people about the car and setup and I can't keep track of who knows what. Well, that and my memory isn't so great these days, I blame it on "daddy brain". I was going to order it since Summit now ships to Canada with showing the total costs after shipping, duty and taxes. But that $60 thermostat housing becomes $95 when all is said and done. Going to have to wait until I can get it shipped to my hotel in Aug. when I'm in NYC and save myself a bit of money.

Marc I took some pics of my setup I was test fitting today. The exhaust is going to work with the ZF PS pump. Last 15 pics here: http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...Two+Five+Masi/

Might give you some ideas on how to do yours. I keep looking at your pics and video and think the ATP piece and a ZF PS pump will work if ya want to run PS.
    Thanks for the photos, looking good. A couple of things that are different in our setups is that I have 2 adapter flanges on my exhaust manifold. One between the turbo and the manifold as a bolt pattern adapter, and another between the head and the manifold to add clearance to the turbo compressor housing clears the starter motor.

Running without a PS pump doesn't really concern me at all. I used to run my other '84 GLH without PS and I liked it. I was going to route the intercooler piping out that side too so I'll need the space again.

I'll take some pics of the TIII turbo setup.