Thread: 1986 dodge 600 turbo 2dr

Hybrid booster

1986 dodge 600 turbo 2dr

Heres the rundown on the car: bought it in October last year from a member on this forum in Toledo, OH. The car had a over 59k miles. Now it has 72,xxx. I installed new plugs, PO installed new wires, installed semi-CAI, 2.5in DP with a Cherry Bomb (it was cheap and fit very well where as the dynomax would scrape b/c of bad fitting) and I lightly ported the SV. The fuel and brake lines were going, so I had new ones installed all the way to the engine bay. Car also has a new O2 sensor, HG, one-pc VC and one pc gasket. PO painted the molding black but they're peeling and chipping very easily. The car had very little rust when I got it. Some surface rust in the very back and lower corners of the car and rear wells. So I sanded it all down, we fixed some dents and did some body work and we ended up with this:

Car was just painted a little over 24 hours ago. We will be painting the black next weekend. The car was painted the factory color but we added some red metallic flakes.

Mitsu booster

Re: 1986 dodge 600 turbo 2dr

Looks very nice! What are your power goals?

Hybrid booster

I would like round 160Hp on the stock bottom end and stock auto trans. Way down the road I plan on modding the log intake by making a bigger plenum and intercooling it. I also want to try to us e a 52mm TB in the stock TII location. The most I want out of this car is 12~13 psi, intercooled, tbi cam, a good CAI, ported manifolds and meth injection. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a fun little car to be my reliable DD.

Hybrid booster

You can find pics of the car when I bought it here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?61861-1986-Dodge-600-Turbo-2dr-Auto&highlight=86+dodge+600+toledo

H
    ere are some pics of the car outside, it was cloudy but still looks good. Still needs that final buff too.

Sometime in the future we will be painting all the flat black trim pieces to gloss black.

Damn! Lookin good!

Hybrid booster

Thanks, Tomorrow I'll be doing the black and hopefully putting all the trim back on.

Hybrid booster

So a little update on the car. Car would burn oil from time to time. I suspected something related to the valvetrain, so I got a used 782 head, sent it out to a Vendor to get ported and a few other things. Added a TBI cam with newer lifters and rockers.

So I installed swapped the head and turned out I was still burning oil. At this time I decided to drop the oil pan and change the rod bearings. Afterwards I did a compression check to make sure my piston rings were holding out fine. All 4 tested out good. Checked spark plugs, no oil on the plugs. I'm suspecting my turbo is on its way out. Sending out a Holset to get rebuilt. Gonna try to run it on the log and see how it works.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Holset with a log intake manifold... I highly highly doubt you will be able to find a way to hook the compressor outlet to a stock log manifold due to the relatively huge size of the holset compressor cover.

Also, you do know that it's not going to spool up until like 4000 rpm, right? Seems like that turbo for a car like yours is going to have mostly downsides. Take the off-boost crappiness of a 2.2/auto and make it worse, not my cup of tea.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I wouldn't bother with upgrading the turbo on a log setup.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

It's a small holset guys relax. Compressor cover is hardly bigger than than the Garrett, outlet will be cut and rewelded (if possible). I'll be using a different turbine housing as well. No .82 AR needed here (I think that's what the factory is)

Waiting on a custom Log mani from a vendor so I can IC this, in the meantime I'm gonna try the holset and meth. I know spool will be slow but the head has to come back off for the intake mani down the line, so it gives me a chance to experiment. Plus I have no other rebuildable turbos. I have a Chinese eBay hybrid, but he turbo shop says they won't touch

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I have a friend with a 119mph 1/4 mile miata that has been running the same $129 ebay turbo for 6 or 7 years now. But he is good enough at not blowing his stuff up that he rarely has an opportunity to 'blame the parts' since nothing ever breaks.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Can you ask how he does that, cause me eBay turbo lasted under one mile. Primed the turbine before installation and cranked till oil light went away. Was on my Tiii, car was running like ---- (for the 3 minutes it ran), took it apart and reason it was running so bad was the block needed resurfaced. The wheel was somehow damaged and it had some shaft play. Local shops don't like eBay turbos andi can't blame em.

Mitsu booster

Hey There,
    I have the same car (1986 Dodge 600 Turbo) but mine's a convertible ;-) I was just wondering if you ever figured out what was the problem with you occasionally burning oil? I seem to have the exact same problem with mine. Also, I'm looking to replace bumpers, stereo, minor electricals, etc. Is there an on-line site that you've used for parts that you feel has the best inventory/prices?

Sorry for all the questions and I don't mean to hi-jack the thread. It's just I can see that we're both into restoring the same type of vehicle, it's just you obviously have far more skills and tools than I do :-)