Thread: 91 Spirirt RT

Garrett booster

91 Spirirt RT

Im starting a project log for the 91 Spirit RT that formerly belonged to Kelly Gomer. It has some rust issues in all the usual places but is in very good shape considering its at 208,000 miles. Im mostly going for aesthetic on this but it has had some power/engine upgrades including balance shaft removal, titanium retainers and a 3 inch exhaust. This is my first project car but I've owned 2 Acclaims(My first and second cars) and ever since I noticed the DOHC sections in the Haynes manual have wanted an RT.

So far fuel lines and pump have been replaced/repaired. New motor/tranmission mounts installed and missing mount bolts..... Added a 120 amp alternator and changed out the serp idler and tensioner. Flushed the power steering (hoping to get it quieter). The catback over axle had to be replaced and ended up doing this with 2.5" . Not sure how the 3 inch was even able to fit through there previously but I'm sure the fact that it rotted out has nothing to do with that
    Its leaking a pretty good amount of oil but doesn't seem to be burning it. I have the Valve cover gaskets (the Chevy ones that you need to cut up and piece together) sitting around but it seems like I'm going to have to get oil pan gaskets as well.

Its my plan to drive this to Tennessee and back this summer(Im in PA) and then after that get all the body work done and add a sunroof. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong but will try to get a look at the I shaft when I do the pan gasket and will keep an extra timing belt ready.
    Last edited by bobconan; 09-09-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: 91 Spirirt RT

Thanx for posting and good luck with your project!
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to see you on the site. I'll look forward to the pics as you progress.

Garrett booster

Car sat for most of last year after straightening the frame(where did that curve come from???) and taking the exhaust out to replace. While It was sitting I got all of the wood grain/ chrome trim from a lebaron and threw it in. It's Surprising the difference that makes(even got the chrome headlight switch and cig lighter).

New 3" stainless exhaust welded by my friend. Added a glasspack resonator where the cat was and put a spun 3" high flow further up the downpipe. Doesn't sound like a ricer at all now.

Floor Pans and the front corner of the running board were replaced this past May. Welding takes alot more patience than I though, even with an excellent welder. Pics included

Over the course of the winter I picked up:
    ATC system from a New Yorker landau as well as passenger power seat. Spent 2 weeks over the winter fully rehabing blower unit. Redid all the foam internally . Cleaned all the fins on the Ac/heater core, took the blend air door motor out and greased the gears, cleaned the position pot. You woold not belive the amount of crap these things accumulate(ok you probably all know).

Euro Spec glass headlights W mounting bracket ( needed to be remirrored) , Euro Spec tail lights, Kenwood KVT-819dvd , Scytek rs5000 m(gotta protect the investment)

Me and my friend welded up a new 3" stainless exhaust. Added a glasspack resonator where the cat was and put a spun 3" high flow further up the downpipe.

http://imgur.com/a/aLZRt#0
    Last edited by bobconan; 09-09-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Garrett booster

2 weeks ago the dashboard came off and the soldering iron came out. 2 way remote start went in along with the ATC and the Kenwood dvd player. Deifnetly a strong satisfaction of having a a fully digitized middle dash(does anyone else dream about mopar blue green?).

Ran an 8 gauge wire from the battery to a 40 amp agu fuse in the center console and then a 4 gauge from the fuse to the trunk. The fuse rests right underneath the tape/cup holder.

Also added in the Illuminated entry system from a Lebaron Landau(soo many relays behind the dash now). The door switches were good but the leds in the Key light were shot , so Im waiting on new ones.

http://imgur.com/a/uzmgn#0

http://imgur.com/a/BHOdu
    Last edited by bobconan; 09-09-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Looks really nice so far! Thanks for sharing pics, keep up the good work!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Nice progress Bob!