Thread: 91 Spirirt RT

Threaded View

Garrett booster

91 Spirirt RT

Im starting a project log for the 91 Spirit RT that formerly belonged to Kelly Gomer. It has some rust issues in all the usual places but is in very good shape considering its at 208,000 miles. Im mostly going for aesthetic on this but it has had some power/engine upgrades including balance shaft removal, titanium retainers and a 3 inch exhaust. This is my first project car but I've owned 2 Acclaims(My first and second cars) and ever since I noticed the DOHC sections in the Haynes manual have wanted an RT.

So far fuel lines and pump have been replaced/repaired. New motor/tranmission mounts installed and missing mount bolts..... Added a 120 amp alternator and changed out the serp idler and tensioner. Flushed the power steering (hoping to get it quieter). The catback over axle had to be replaced and ended up doing this with 2.5" . Not sure how the 3 inch was even able to fit through there previously but I'm sure the fact that it rotted out has nothing to do with that
    Its leaking a pretty good amount of oil but doesn't seem to be burning it. I have the Valve cover gaskets (the Chevy ones that you need to cut up and piece together) sitting around but it seems like I'm going to have to get oil pan gaskets as well.

Its my plan to drive this to Tennessee and back this summer(Im in PA) and then after that get all the body work done and add a sunroof. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong but will try to get a look at the I shaft when I do the pan gasket and will keep an extra timing belt ready.
    Last edited by bobconan; 09-09-2014 at 01:25 AM.