Thread: How to install FTDI module in a LM?

boostaholic

How to install FTDI module in a LM?

All right..I know this information is out there somewhere. I think it used to be in the Knowledge Center, but for the life of me I can not find it.

I've got an ftdi module that used to be mounted in my LM case. I removed it for troubleshooting reasons. Now that I've got everything figured out, I want to reinstall it and solder it back up, but I can't remember which pins are which on the CPU and I'm having trouble finding a pin-out online. I don't suppose anyone has the instructions around?

boostaholic

Re: How to install FTDI module in a LM?

Well, I found where the article used to be in the forum archive, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Yes, I know I can just use the SCI cable and run the USB back inside, but I would rather put it in the LM case and install a nifty hidden USB port in the dash someplace for it.

Hybrid booster

better/quicker option with the LM - pull the TX/RX lines at the LM terminal, fab up leads to the FTDI from there - works the same as at the SCI. only problem is whether you have extra leads you can use for the LM (if I remember I got mine from a radio harness when I went yard scavenging several years back); otherwise you can just tap the TX/RX lines at the terminal. mounting options from there are up to you, but you can make it much more accessible that way (like anywhere in the console, arm rest, or glovebox). you should be able to do that much quicker than finding the pins on the chip.

I did this (pulled the lines to SCI at the LM, and replaced) with the FTDI cable with the embedded module, but you get the idea...same concept.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Of course, my car is SMEC, so I don't really have the option of soldering it directly into the computer; but, I just plugged the FTDI cable into the SCI port and mounted one of these on my dash - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neutrik-NAUS...item35b8cab2bb

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel_mnt.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	39801

The panel mount is reversible, so I plugged the USB end of the FTDI into the female portion of the panel mount; and then the USB-B connector on the front of the panel mount with a ~2' USB A-B cable from my laptop.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    better/quicker option with the LM - pull the TX/RX lines at the LM terminal, fab up leads to the FTDI from there - works the same as at the SCI. only problem is whether you have extra leads you can use for the LM (if I remember I got mine from a radio harness when I went yard scavenging several years back); otherwise you can just tap the TX/RX lines at the terminal. mounting options from there are up to you, but you can make it much more accessible that way (like anywhere in the console, arm rest, or glovebox). you should be able to do that much quicker than finding the pins on the chip.

I did this (pulled the lines to SCI at the LM, and replaced) with the FTDI cable with the embedded module, but you get the idea...same concept.
    I had this idea last night at 1am, but I think i was too tired to execute it properly. I'll try it again after I get myself a fresh tip for the soldering iron today.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Of course, my car is SMEC, so I don't really have the option of soldering it directly into the computer; but, I just plugged the FTDI cable into the SCI port and mounted one of these on my dash - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neutrik-NAUS...item35b8cab2bb

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel_mnt.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	39801

The panel mount is reversible, so I plugged the USB end of the FTDI into the female portion of the panel mount; and then the USB-B connector on the front of the panel mount with a ~2' USB A-B cable from my laptop.
    I should have figured Neutrik made those. Thanks for the link.