Thread: Maybe FS: 89 LeBaron convertible 2.5 T1/a520

Hybrid booster

Maybe FS: 89 LeBaron convertible 2.5 T1/a520

Date: 22nd May 2012
    Username: HoverFish
    Full Name: Tefon Obchansky
    City, State, Zip: Marwayne, AB, T0B2X0
    Selling or Wanted Price: $1500? Maybe?

Description: Due to a growing family and increasing pressure from my wife, I'm throwing out the feelers on this one. This is my 89 LeBaron convertible that I converted from TBI/a413 to a 2.5 T1/a520.

Here's what I've done:
    Pulled a motor, trans, 5-spd conversion parts and engine bay harness from a wrecked 'baron. The engine was rebuilt by me, after the head and block having been shaved just enough to make them nicely flat. Block was magnafluxed and checked ok, head has new valve guides, valve stem seals and 5-angle valve job done by the machinist. Clevite bearings (std size) all around, Clevite cast pistons (std size), Clevite lifters and Perfect Circle moly rings. The engine is pretty much a stock rebuild. Has a T2 Garrett, again rebuilt by me, with 2 1/2" swingvalve and big can actuator. Turbo II IC/rad combo, the rad was re-cored by a local rad shop and looks great. The engine has a billet vacuum block and a G-valve set to about 12 PSI. Gen1 Talon BOV between the TII airbox and throttle body. Aurora ignition wires and RN9YC plugs. I took a lot of time trying to do a show-quality engine bay on a tight budget. The wiring and vac harnesses were cleaned, repaired, re-taped, and so on. Full 2 1/2" exhaust with a cheapie muffler... still kinda loud for my liking but never had a chance to deal with it. It will make car alarms chirp if you sit next to them. Walbro 255 fuel pump. Polybushings front mount, filled aftermarket (not anchor!) side mounts, stock bobble strut.

1 1/16" front sway bar with Energy Suspension bushings, Energy suspension bushings on the lower control arms as well. New brakes all around, new shocks, struts and upper strut mounts all around. Has a newer top which fits so-so... I reused it from another car and had to deal with the existing cuts. That top is not in the picture above. It at least keeps the rain out!

I did a bunch of floorpan welding, everything was coated afterward with rocker guard inside and out. Wheels are from a Beretta GT, with 215-65-15 Riken Raptor tires.

All this work was done at 187,500 miles, in 2008. The car now has 203,500. Last September at 200,000 miles it passed an Alberta Safety Inspection after replacing the windshield and convincing the guy that there was no clutch switch in 1989.

The bad: The drivers quarter window is stuck, there is some body rust (no holes, I already took care of those!) on the rear quarters, a few other spots on the passenger's side were cleaned up and primed. Small dents and dings, clearcoat peeling all over, with no clearcoat at all on the hood. Interior is so-so, the carpet is faded and worn, the vinyl on the seats is showing wear. Headliner is a bit faded too.

I'm not even sure how much to ask. The car has some sentimental value to me because of the amount of time I have in it, as well as having done some of the engine work with my Dad who passed away a few months later. I'm throwing the feelers out to see what kind of interest there is, and to see if I can let it go or if I have to tell my wife to stuff it.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Maybe FS: 89 LeBaron convertible 2.5 T1/a520

bump for a nice ride. 1500 bucks is a steal!