Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance advice

Garrett booster

Performance advice

I have an 88 dodge lancer shelby 2.2 turbo II. im getting a 3" full exhaust w/ 10 series muffler. and also getting a fmic 24x11x3. i was thinkin about getting stage 5 comp from fwd perf aslo with +40 injectors and was suggested to get an adjustable fuel pressure reg. I was wondering if anybody else ever did this setup and if their was a big difference and if u were happy with it AND if their is any advice. thank u all. /heath

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: perfrmance advice

My advice is to take it slowly. If you need a new exhaust do that first and enjoy the gains. If not, I would run a MP computer first as it will be fun for a while. If you get too big of a project going it's a real drag and you'll lose interest. It's way more fun to drive them.

turbo addict

Re: Performance advice

3" is nice but i wouldn't get a series 10 just don't flow enough look into a magnaflow ./ look into one of Simons S60 roller cams and spring kits i have now seen one running and is impressed nice idle and blew threw the emission test with almost zeros. /3bar map sensor / Fwd or boostbutton's Cal / 52# injectors /225 warbro fuel pump /Wide band IS A MUST / any more power than this is going to require port head , and manifolds and forged hardware to last
    remember this is all going to come to a cost of the drive train you have to beef up the clutch / side plate / diff(OBX) to get power to ground

Garrett booster

Where can u get all these parts? fwd perf or turbosunleashed?. yea i plan on doin slow build low on money an also trying to finish my other toy.lol

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

keep an eye out on the for sale section. I built my first bad azz setup for almost 1/2 the price it would have costed me to purchase new through a vendor, and lots of the parts were brand used (purchased but never used lol)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=5
    t
    heres a link to my garage, I had put down prices of everything i paid for, so that I could compare them to new prices.....anything that cost $0.00 was a part that had came with something else I had purchased, example when car was purchased it had FWDP koni coilover setup and new 255 walbro in tank.....so marked zero dollars.

the places i made out were buying the built shortblock, turbo, and some other odds and ends like the spearco IC (nabbed for 190 something on ebay, retails for 550 NEW). lots of the prices seem to have inflated since the build but still very reasonable pricing at the time

boostaholic

yeah deff ditch that Flowmaster... we dont have mustangs... turbo cars wont benifit from them... like posted... look into magnaflow or dyno max... or even a cheapie bullet style flow thru... they work well!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by lbaonocsetr View Post
    Where can u get all these parts? fwd perf or turbosunleashed?. yea i plan on doin slow build low on money an also trying to finish my other toy.lol
    Add boost button(shellgame) and Simon (Aka turbovanman)

I have a barely used 3" magnaflow I posted for sale recently. Nice muffler, good sound but not overbearing at all. If you're interested, drop me a line.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

All good advice.

If you just bought the car or its been sitting, I would do the exhaust and FMIC, air filter stuff, tuneup stuff, wideband and boost gauges, drive it around to get used to it, THEN add the 3 bar, +40's, computer and what ever else you need.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanks all. really good advice. i had the car a little over a year n I freshened it up new turbo ported exhaust man gaskets including head gasket which was the reason. It has a cold air n boost gauge. Prolly going to do the exhast with a "bullit" style muff n the fmic for now then after a little while do the comp, injectors, n map n wideband. Then I should hopfully be satisfied n it will b a badass daily n funtoy!

I'd be doing the wideband before the exhaust if your short on cash, it takes a few secs to lean out and boom, there goes all your hard work.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Very true there! There again i seen one on turbos unleashed for 199 for the kit. is that about right or do u think there is a deal somewhere and i wanna get the uego or somthing like that or what is a good on to get. i wood like one that had the sweeping led needle and changing colors from rich to lean and also has the digital all in one gauge.?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I have a barely used 3" magnaflow I posted for sale recently. Nice muffler, good sound but not overbearing at all. If you're interested, drop me a line.
    there ya go!!!
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Quote Originally Posted by lbaonocsetr View Post
    Very true there! There again i seen one on turbos unleashed for 199 for the kit. is that about right or do u think there is a deal somewhere and i wanna get the uego or somthing like that or what is a good on to get. i wood like one that had the sweeping led needle and changing colors from rich to lean and also has the digital all in one gauge.?
    I think the Innovate MTX is easier to read but the AEM is nice too. They range from $180 to $200.

http://www.www.innovatemotorsports.com/index.html

Garrett booster

Hey guys quick question? does anyone kno wat im talkin about when i say which kind of blow off valve makes that fluttering sound n is that ok for the car to do that cuz i heard it wasnt and is it supposed to do that? just lookin to change my bov if to that one cuz i think that sounds cool if it is designed like that. if any1 knows where i can get one i wood be interested in buying it or wood like to trade. i have a forge motorsports one now. nothing wrong with mine jus like that sound.

If its the sound I think your describing, that's the BOV set too tight and the compressor is chattering per say which isn't that healthy. Also some larger BOV's don't vent properly at low boost due to the fact they are designed for high boost.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I think the Innovate MTX is easier to read but the AEM is nice too. They range from $180 to $200.

http://www.www.innovatemotorsports.com/index.html
    Not trying to derail the thread, but have you used the MTX? They're close in price to the AEM, and I think they look a bit better than the AEM.

Garrett booster

Ok cool thanks. ive never heard of mtx b4 but if it saves a couple bucks n some people had good luck with it hey y not!

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Not trying to derail the thread, but have you used the MTX? They're close in price to the AEM, and I think they look a bit better than the AEM.
    And also datalog easier and expandable with innovated other stuff
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Not personally, but it looks like my XD 16 which I love but the LC1 sucks, so if I bought another one, I'd get the MTX, I love the display, I feel the AEM is too small to read at WOT, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast