Thread: Pads/Rotor options for 89' 4 wheel disc set up?

boostaholic

Pads/Rotor options for 89' 4 wheel disc set up?

First off, what pad choices do I have for my set up, 89' 4 wheel disc (lebaron gtc), are hawk pads available? any other recommended choices?

Second, what is a good choice for rotors? I'm really looking for drilled and slotted rotors.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Pads/Rotor options for 89' 4 wheel disc set up?

get your front hawk pads from rich bryant.

there is a store on ebay that will sell slotted and drilled rotors, also come zinc plated!! im almost positive it cost my buddy for the price of 4 rotors, that FWDP would have charge for 2 rotors.....

rears can also be had cheaper then FWDP im sure, they sell them for 80 bucks and my friend was able to find that for that price locally, without having to deal with shipping charges.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I don't think Hawk makes pads for the '89-'90 front big brake setup. The ones Rich sells are for the '91+ big brakes.

I just bought pads for my '89 big brake setup and I went with Raybestos Super Stops from Rock Auto. Front pads were only $6-7 IIRC. For the rears I got Centric reman calipers preloaded with their pads.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

ok well either way, the rotors he got from ebay....AWESOME!!!! stopped by to check them out on the weekend and YES they are well worth the deal. he paid $190 US for the set of 4 rotors, with FREE SHIPPING.....

our vendors cannot even come close to this price....at 75 bucks EACH rotor for front and 120 EACH for the rear.....then add your shipping.....holy COW!!! thats OVER TWICE THE PRICE :O

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Bah, drilled and slotted rotors are for posers. Call me crazy but I'd rather have plain old American made rotors than fancy Chinese drilled/slotted rotors any day. I got my Wagner rotors on Rock Auto for less than that.

boostaholic

Ok so basically no real pads and rotors I can go with slotted Chinese ones or regular auto parts store ones.

turbo addict

EBC makes the front rotors for sure. I've got a set on my car right now. They are dimpled and slotted. I wanted to get just the slotted ones, but they were more expensive for some reason. The ONLY reason I wanted slotted rotors was to help with glazing. I would have preffered to not have had the dimples at all. It reduces the amount of friction surface as well as mass to dissipate the heat.

You can get GOOD/Race pads from Carbotech and Porterfield for sure. I've run both. Porterfield makes rear pads too. You HAVE to call these guys as their websites probably won't list them. Make sure to get one of the less agressive pads for the rear. I found out the hard way that the more agressive pads work well, but when they heat up, they actually work TOO well and throw the brake balance of the car off. I'm currently running the cheapest parts-store pads in the rear I could find simply because I was trying to balance the braking out on the car during a track weekend. It worked well enough I kept them on there.

If you end up going with parts store pads DO NOT buy the cheapest pads! Having worked for a certain parts chain for a few years I can say without a doubt those pads SUCK! Also, just because one company says Gold, and the other says Gold, doesn't mean they are the same quality!

Also, I've found that for whatever reason some companies don't list the '89 Daytona with the correct pads for the 11" brakes. Look them up for the LeBaron as well just to make sure! If you can bring a set in with you, that's even better!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Menegon said he runs porterfields on his '89 gtc.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Yes, that's how I found out about them. R4S compound IIRC.

boostaholic

Ok, thanks, that got me on the right track to getting some decent pads and rotors. I'm going to give Porterfield and Carbotech a call and see what I can get.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Another question, are masi tc brakes the same as the lebaron? Carbotech has them listed for the tc but I dont see lebaron anywhere.

turbo addict

No. The TC is completely different.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Are the Carbotech/Porterfield pads race pads, or could you run them on a daily driver? I'm looking for a little more aggressive daily-driver pad than the cheapies that are on there now.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

I ran Porterfield on my '86 Daytona. They are really good to work with. Call them and tell them what you want. They will help you out.

turbo addict

Both Carbotech and Porterfield offer pad formulas that will work for more aggressive street/track day driving.

The Porterfield R4S compound works very well IMHO. For street and auto-x it's very good. The hotter it gets, the better it works. I never ran out of pad, just boiled the brake fluid. They also didn't eat up the rotors that badly. Dust was there, but no worse than cheapy pads. One thing I will caution on is that if you intend to use the car at track days, then you might not want to run this compound in the rear as it gets too aggressive and can cause brake balance problems. If you were to couple it with a mild race pad, that actually might work. YMMV

I also ran Carbotech XP8s, but only up front. Friggin amazing!! I got very jaded by the pure awesomeness of these pads! Coupled with good fluid these are more than enough for 98% of TM's out there. They WILL eat rotors. They do dust quite a bit (use good wax on the wheels AND on the car!!). They *can* squeal some around town, but my experience was it was only during very light braking. I highly recommend these pads for very aggressive driving as long as you don't mind dust and having to replace rotors along with the pads. Oh, and the service life is a bit less than street pads, but if you are using these, then you have other things on your car that need replacing more often as well.

BTW, both of these companies can repuck your pads. So, if you have worn out pads laying around that you can still use with your brakes, you can arrange to send them in and have them re-pucked.