Thread: 85 glh

Threaded View

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: 85 glh

What's surprising to me is how many still think slicks break parts more than anything else.

Everyone cringes at the thought of running slicks, which is the exact opposite of me cringing at ppl running D/R's and wheel hopping out of the hole.

When Nick took his Daytona to the strip I brought a set of 24" slicks just in case, although there was no intention to use them.

He couldn't find a "sweet spot" where the D/R's would spin into a hook smoothly, always launch/spin/hook/ wheel hop. (don't let off and wheel hop got violent)

This went on for 2 or 3 runs till he broke an axle. (albeit the axle was already compromised by evidence of rust in break)

This made my decision simple, nothing to loose bolting on the slicks now!

So with slicks on and 12psi he now launched at 5000rpm and spun into traction every time. No wheel hop at all. Took his first 14 sec run down to a 12.6 @ 109 and he's just learning to drive down the track.

Don't get me wrong, IF you don't know how to use slicks and are trying to Dead hook them, I'm sure you can still break $hit, but if used properly slicks will break Less parts than regular radials and D/R's. AFAICT

Having said that, IF you Are done, really glad you got to see what it takes to make 300+WHP on this platform. I Could say you did a lot more than needed but that's irrelevant vs the learning curve that any given individual does/ doesn't need to go through.

Always better to see someone work things out, and enjoy some success, rather than give up having nothing but bad memories and frustration.
    Last edited by Shadow; 01-30-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!