Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Dodge Charger

Mitsu booster

1986 Shelby Dodge Charger

Hey guys, just starting to get to work on my 1986 Shelby Dodge Charger, figured I'd need some advice as well as a place to log as much as I can when I get the time to work on it.

Some history on the car: I got the car about 8 years ago from a family friend who didn't want it sitting in their yard, at the time nothing was wrong other than it had been sitting for a few years, fast forward 2 years, I find out that the engine is seized. Since then the car has simply been parked for lack of money to work on it (Being a college student has it's downsides). As of now the idea is to start a basic strip down of the engine to see if there's any noticeable damage that is going to mean this engine is trashed. Any help from anyone that has done a project similar to this would be very helpful. Problems that are common on this year, etc. Going into this i'm assuming that everything is going to need to be scrapped but hoping for the best.
    Thanks for listening guys!

Mitsu booster

Re: 1986 Shelby Dodge Charger

Pictures to come soon!

Sounds like a fun project, welcome to the forum!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitsu booster

I apparently pulled one of the radiators, (there's 2?) and the air filter and upper hose for the air filter. The interior is still in great condition, though it looks like something attacked the center console (always been like that) and the headliner is falling down. Engine-wise.. can't say I notice much different than when I parked it. Hopefully leaving the air filter off isn't going to come back to bite me..but I doubt that..for now. I'm gonna work on looking for a donor and work on getting it into my shop.

If anyone can offer any advice about the multiple radiators or where I should start first, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for listening!

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Hybrid booster

the one rad on the driver side is the intercooler it is o cool the air down before it gets burned

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If there is what looks like a radiator but has one rectangular connection, it's the air conditioning condenser.
    Your car has an AC compressor bracket, so that's my guess.
    Don't throw it away, L body condensors are getting hard to find.

Post here in the wanted section of the forum and see if anyone near you has a good running engine for sale.

Hybrid booster

Nice car! Reminds me a lot of my Charger! http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...JY!&highlight=

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

First of all welcome to the site! That looks like a real solid project, I would take a look under the car to see if you have rust though. Like ajakeski said thats your a/c condensor.

Was the engine complete before your teardoen/inspection? How do you know the motor is seized? Also try and get a set FSM's (factory service manuals) for your year or use the chiltons under the radiator instead of a seat protector Those have helped me as I'm not a mechanic but this forum's help is invaluable!

Good luck with your project and I believe there's a couple active memebers on here from NC.

Mitsu booster

The engine was complete before my teardown a couple years ago, when I realized I wouldn't be able to pull the engine by myself, (14 at the time) I decided to put the car aside til I could get help. The last time I checked, there was a small amount of rust under the driver seat, but haven't really looked at it since then. The car's engine is either siezed or it's stuck in gear, but the transmission linkage?(if i remember correctly) is unhooked and if the clutch isn't pressed in the car isn't moving at all. So i'm trying to find a good starting point, obviously the engine is goign to be the first thing to check, and I know the car needs a fuel pump, but should I pull the engine first or should I work on tearing it down while it's in the car?
    Thanks for the help everyone!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Pull it out and rebuild it.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Mitsu booster

That's looks like mine when I started on it
    Good luck with build if you need interior parts let me know
    I have two 85s parts cars

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86SilverSC View Post
    That's looks like mine when I started on it
    Good luck with build if you need interior parts let me know
    I have two 85s parts cars
    do you still have hatch cover for the tire compartment and possibly n exterior piece that headlights house in.its all fiberglass

Mitsu booster

Hey I know I haven't posted in a while, but to keep everyone updated, with luck I will have the engine out in the next few days, then the True Teardown begins. Any tips to look for on the 2.2? any specific parts that seem to be weak points in the design? I don't know much about 4 cylinders or Turbo'd cars, so any advice would be appreciated. I do know to take tons of pictures before I pull everything apart. I'm just wondering if anyone's had any experiences with these where there might be severe stress points in the block or head? Thanks in advance everyone! Hope you have a good holiday.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Go here:

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

Click on "Turbo Database" and start reading.

The 86 engine had light weight rods that are know to fail as you build power.
    You can also convert to a TII type intercooled system if you want big power.

The 2.2 responds well to basic common sense engine building techniques.

Surface the head, get good valve seals and a valve job. Use a Mopar 005 head gasket and new head bolts, torqued properly.
    A ported exhaust manifold and a free flowing exhaust system will bring more power and faster turbo spool up.
    Buy a set of factory service manuals too.

Mitsu booster

Thanks, I'm planning on pushing 250 hp tops, out of the engine, not much over that in the end, so not monstrous power, I plan on this being a fun daily driver, so far, from what I can tell, after I get it bored out (If the block holds up to inspection/testing) I'll be trying to use the TII style Pistons/Rods, etc. I read that this would hold up better to a bigger turbo/intercooler setup. I do plan to install an Intercooler when everything goes back in, but would I have to go through a TII upgrade? or would I just be able to install it? Thanks again!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

IMO it would be easiest for the first timer to just do a TII conversion. You'll need a few parts, but everything will bolt up like it's made to go there. The one exception would be the IC/rad combo out of a tII car. It's a little too wide for a stock L body, but there are several easy ways around that which aren't much trouble.

Mitsu booster

I'm a first timer, but my uncle, is experienced mechanic (allbeit more of a v8 person until lately). He will be helping with the install/work/coaching. What does the Turbo II upgrade entail? If you know?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You'll have to put a blow through intake and throttle body on. You'll also need a different throttle cable. You will need a different logic module and you will need to run a couple new wires to the new AIS.

There are a couple of pretty detailed wirte ups about the subject.

http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html

Mitsu booster

Thanks I'll take a look at it!

Mitsu booster

Wow it has been a while since i've even looked at my charger. It got moved when I was in college and it has unfortunately sat in a field/the woods since then. I'm hoping I can get back to my hometown to drag it out and bring it to my new house sometime soon. I know it needs engine work or a replacement and it will probably need some floor pans, I can't remember if they were very rusty almost 10 years ago, but sitting in red clay for the better part of 10 years i'm sure has created a moisture problem. Hoping in the coming months I may have some updates. In the meantime does anybody have any recommendations on engines that cross over fairly easily? Trying to do some research in the meantime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast