Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Peters tech talk video

turbo addict

Ed Peters tech talk video

Maybe you'll get something from it. I sure found the zinc thing interesting and Also found out why I kept bending shift forks lol

CAUTION!!! 34 minutes long, but worth it if you learn something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_toE...eature=related

turbo addict

Re: Ed Peters tech talk video

Dam good vid and thank you Ed for doing this vids

Hybrid booster

Wow, great info. Well presented by Ed.

Greg

turbo addict

knowelege center this video

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    knowelege center this video
    +1

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I couldn't make it to the 10 minute mark, does he talk about anything more than oil?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I couldn't make it to the 10 minute mark, does he talk about anything more than oil?
    yes talks about forks and shifter you should see the rest as some of it applies to A520- a555 and other as well

turbo addict

positive stops on the shifter (maddog modded), cable stretching, booger bushings ........

seems like the video was longer, and chopped down to about 35min as it was ......

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

There's a related video, same maker, on 2.4 oiling system, oil filters, how one oil cooler adapter part number ending in C is awful because of 90* bends and another ending in D flows much better, and how porting the D adapter is even better - 10 HP.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    There's a related video, same maker, on 2.4 oiling system, oil filters, how one oil cooler adapter part number ending in C is awful because of 90* bends and another ending in D flows much better, and how porting the D adapter is even better - 10 HP.
    need that link

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    need that link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCtI...hannel&list=UL

That shouild be it.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Oh, that's good stuff!! Oil pump fracture information starts ay 8:55 for all you 2.4 guys.

turbo addict

i wounder if that was the problems that JT's oil pump was seeing

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    JT and Dean too! It could be a matter of rpms. Sadly, they'll see the same damage again if it isn't the damper issue they feel they've tracked down.

turbo addict

My phone is about to die and I'm at work on lunch. Are these the Arizona tapes?

turbo addict

nope

nope and nope stupid short msg requirement

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Oh, that's good stuff!! Oil pump fracture information starts ay 8:55 for all you 2.4 guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    He said that it was due to high RPM and then when you lift throttle, the oil has to back up and go someplace, and suddenly stops, and backs up pressure to the gerotor and cracks it...

OK, not sure how the oil "backs up and stops" when the pump is what is creating the pressure. Hydro lock would be from having more oil in the cavity than the size of the cavity. Where does the extra oil come from? Think about in a 2.2L where you can spin the i-shaft to drive the pump manually without even turning the motor over (no timing belt), when you stop spinning it, the oil pressure just dissipates in the engine, not pressurizing the pump. Unless he is trying to suggest that the hydrolock is caused by pressure at higher RPM (instead of the lift throttle that he said it was), which, if his hydrolock theory is true, then anytime the rotor went above X RPM and stopped it would hydro lock and crack.... not after repetitive use, but the first time. Cold motor, 7500RPM, KaBoom.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That didn't make a lot of sense to me either.

turbo addict

I know on the crank driven 6g72 pump that a loose fit means that high load/rpm dynamics will shake the gear back and forth (given whatever play it has) and that can lead to fracture. Toga pumps for that motor have a sleeve installed to potentially increase precision of fit while keeping cost down. There was a bad batch of mitsu pumps a few years ago that lead to a bunch of motors getting eaten on the dyno etc and this was thought to be the main reason but the fear lead people to get billet gears made....which might sound great but I have heard of them deforming.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Yes, high rpm/load/pressure will definitely put stress into the pump. The PM rotor is susceptible to damage in an agresive appilcation but find for 99% of usage. Yes, I have heard about some engines having a bad batch of pumps, but have not heard this for the 2.4L's. DCR used to sell billet steel rotors and now sells coated PM rotors with some added machined reliefs on them. Why no more billet steel? Guess its not needed? Or he figured out the lack of a damper at high RPM was the cause? I have yet to hear anyone have an exact explanation of how they are cracking. DCR also has a ton of oil pressure reduction mods, but his are more for reducung the parasitic loss than the oil pump issue.

The rotor cracking is from pressure or vibration, or a combination of those. At higher pressures, the oil will escape (not get pumped) past the gerotor to housing clearances. This is why they have clearance specs cuz if the clearance is too high it wont make pressure at all.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast