Thread: Power steering leak!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Power steering leak!

i will start by saying i had no issues with my power steering last year. this year when i uncovered it, it was empty. since i had expired plates i figured i would leave be untill i got new tabs. well i got new tabs so i could go to the great lakes meet today. put fluid in. but when i turn the wheel it sprays everywhere, since its only me(no buddy) so i can possibly see where its spraying from. just looking for idea's of where its spraying from and why this would happen from just sitting.. guess no meet today for me. Also is there any Do it yourself pages for changing that stuff out and what tools i should have/buy?

Rich
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Power steering leak!

Pressure hose from the pump to rack can leak. Rack can leak as well but from my experiance its less common to do so.

On the rack end the hose should be carefully started by hand to ensure its threaded properly and not cross threaded since your threading steel into aluminum. Get it snug and then grab the inner steel line (its like a big brake line, loose nut w/flare & O-ring) and see if the line itself will still rotate. If it can then tighten it a bit more and then test it w/car on ramps. If it still leaks then tighten it slowly until it stops leaking. lubricate the o-ring of course prior to installation. on the pump end its steel into steel w/flared end and O-ring, tighten until the nut stops. Replace the return line as well, its just a piece of bulk cut hose off the reel held with spring clamps at either end. Add an inline filter on the return line if room permits.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

Rich. If you need your rack rebuilt their's a place on the south side of Ann Arbor the will turn it around in a couple days. P.M. Me if you need the contact info. BTW, If my brain is working rite those line nuts are 18MM. Kinda special and that line wrench I don't think you'll on the Craftsman shelf! Jer

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

DAH, THE MISSING WORD IZ "FIND" GAWD, Its awful gettin' old!

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    Rich. If you need your rack rebuilt their's a place on the south side of Ann Arbor the will turn it around in a couple days. P.M. Me if you need the contact info. BTW, If my brain is working rite those line nuts are 18MM. Kinda special and that line wrench I don't think you'll on the Craftsman shelf! Jer

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

DAH, THE MISSING WORD IZ "FIND" GAWD, Its awful gettin' old!
    I got an 18mm crapsman wrench just for this and it purely sucked. I walked to the parts store and just bought a 1.99 hack saw and cut the line off and used a socket.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

I cut a notch in a wal mart 18mm so it slides over line.
    once it gets snug, turn back-and-fourth to seat the line to the fitting on the rack,
    kind of like a chiropractor does with spine adjustments.
    The last turn tight is harder than the previous.
    Works for me every time for all sorts of pressure fit apps . .

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Pressure hose from the pump to rack can leak. Rack can leak as well but from my experiance its less common to do so.

On the rack end the hose should be carefully started by hand to ensure its threaded properly and not cross threaded since your threading steel into aluminum. Get it snug and then grab the inner steel line (its like a big brake line, loose nut w/flare & O-ring) and see if the line itself will still rotate. If it can then tighten it a bit more and then test it w/car on ramps. If it still leaks then tighten it slowly until it stops leaking. lubricate the o-ring of course prior to installation. on the pump end its steel into steel w/flared end and O-ring, tighten until the nut stops. Replace the return line as well, its just a piece of bulk cut hose off the reel held with spring clamps at either end. Add an inline filter on the return line if room permits.
    This is very solid advice. As others have indicated, a flare nut wrench should be used on that nut.

IMO the easiest way to get at the PS line at the rack is from the top of the car with the air box etc. removed. I find that to be incredibly easy access.