Thread: Valve guides

turbo addict

Valve guides

Was cleaning up my TIII to put in the shadow and I decided to take a peek in the exhaust manifold and I found out one of #3 exhaust valve guides has dropped down and moves with the valve. All the guides will need replaced, along with the seals. I'd like to do all the foot work for the machine shop since there are no good ones nearby.

So where could I find this stuff. At least one guide would need to be oversize. Is there a universal application that would work?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Valve guides

PM Jackson, he has a guy by him that does valve guides. they could probably send you some.

Honestly, the best thing to do is probably send the head to Jackson. If you don't trust your local guys, it may cost a little for shipping, but peace of mind is probably worth whatever the shipping costs?

turbo addict

Thats what I was thinking but with my budget id like to spend some money elsewhere. I also wanted to get the car back on the road soon. I guess it can wait if need be though.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Thats what I was thinking but with my budget id like to spend some money elsewhere. I also wanted to get the car back on the road soon. I guess it can wait if need be though.
    Elsewhere? This is not an area to cut corners on dude! Any competent engine builder/machine shop can make new guides from scratch..... I have to make or modify guides from time to time, and modify valves and pistons, too. You just have to make sure they are competent so you get the right press fit in the head after the hole in the head for the guide has been reamed or bored larger (as the wobbly guide most likely made the hole oval shaped) and the guide is perfectly concentric as this will phug up things when the seat is re-cut afterwards. I'm sure Jackson's shop is competent if you are willing to send it to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Agreed.

My guy uses a Ford guide IIRC, cheaper than using OE type guides.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I understand not cutting corners, It was more of just a general bummer statement since having the head redone wasn't in the budget. I had almost everything that I needed to get the engine dropped in the shadow, then all I had to worry about was suspension and brakes stuff. Now I have to save up the money before the project can make anymore progress. I contacted Jackson and im talking it over with him about what it will take.

On another note, what are the stock guides made of, cast iron? The exhaust is where all the problems are but looking at the intake side the guides have a bronze look to them and I didn't know if thats what they came with. The head was redone back in 2001 by lingenfelter in indiana but I dont know what all they did.