Thread: Turbo comparison

Hybrid booster

Cool Turbo comparison

Im looking into buying garret gt 30 series and wanted to now why it is so expensive compared to torbonetics t03t04. What would be performance differences. I have talked to 2 trusted TM fellas and the gt30 was both of there recommendation. That's what I'm going to buy but didn't have enough time to get all the answers on why it was a better choice. Thanks

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Turbo comparison

what exactly are your goals? power wise? spool wise?
    is the car setup for track? auto x? street?

the main reason for the price fluctuation is the fact that the GT30 comes in a dual ball bearing configuration. if you purchased a t3/t4 turbo in ball bearing configuration that the price would also increase over your standard journal bearing t3/t4

benefits to ball bearing over standard journal bearing. increased turbo life span, increased spool during throttle control, reduced oil consumption

also be prepared to have countless people ask you questions like "why is your fan still on when the car is shut off" or, "sounds like something is wrong with your fan"......meanwhile its just the turbo trying to spool down after a nice run

if the car is a drag only, there is no real benefit to using a dual ball bearing turbo, performance wise. durability wise YES.

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

the GT28 would also be an excellent turbo, depending what your power goals are. I think the GT28 to be the new "super 60" turbo, but everyone now a days seems to go with bigger turbos, even tho lots of people arent even pushing the proper amount of boost to keep the turbo in its happy range, when they could be making MORE power with a broader powerband, on the same amount of boost.....

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the answer. I'm still learning about turbos. My car is a garage queen lol but I drive it alot in the summer. So longevity is goal and I'm looking for 350 wheel street power with the ability to get a little crazy at the track on race fuel. I do want to try road racing with it and just finished the coil over suspension. I like heavy boost. I run the stock garret at 24psi.
    Last edited by jackerman; 05-01-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What is your setup? How much boost do you want to run?

I honestly think the BB garretts are overpriced and the turbine wheels are not very durable.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Have you shopped for Precision turbos?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

My set up is Ross forged 20 over pistons. Stock t2 rods and crank. Head is ported and polished stock valves. FM 475 cam with springs and followers. 2 piece intake ported and 52mm TB. I have 275 walboro fuel pump with Plus 40 injectors fwd stage 5 comp. Ported exhaust manifold with 3 in exhaust front to back. Xspower intercooler. I'm looking for good power on the street with the ability to go wild. Looking to run 20psi. Track days much more or with Meth much more.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

T3/t4 -50 trim stage II .63 or a 46 trim stage 1 .63 will meet your goals easily, or as Mike suggested, the Precision line is very reasonable too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Thanks everyone