Thread: Sloppy shifter, not the bushings.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Sloppy shifter, not the bushings.

Awhile back the shifter started getting sloppy. The fore-aft movement even when in gear theres probably 5/8" of slop which acts like the bushings (568 transmission) are needing replacement but they are already the solid polyurethane replacements and I dont gorilla shift this thing either so nothing internally could have been damaged. Snagged my neighbor to sit in the car and move the shifter while I was watching the selector lever move outside. The selector lever (forward-aft movement) is totally loose on the shaft. The roll pin is a tight fit into the lever and semi tight into the shaft. Not sure if a new roll pin would fix anything, reaming the shaft/lever roll pin hole to the next size would probably temporarily solve the problem but its still a crappy setup using a single rollpin in shearing force like that. I have a spare shifter housing and I am looking into getting a keyway cut into the shaft and lever and fitting a key to take the shearing force without getting sloppy and just using the roll pin to hold it all together.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Awhile back the shifter started getting sloppy. The fore-aft movement even when in gear theres probably 5/8" of slop which acts like the bushings (568 transmission) are needing replacement but they are already the solid polyurethane replacements and I dont gorilla shift this thing either so nothing internally could have been damaged. Snagged my neighbor to sit in the car and move the shifter while I was watching the selector lever move outside. The selector lever (forward-aft movement) is totally loose on the shaft. The roll pin is a tight fit into the lever and semi tight into the shaft. Not sure if a new roll pin would fix anything, reaming the shaft/lever roll pin hole to the next size would probably temporarily solve the problem but its still a crappy setup using a single rollpin in shearing force like that. I have a spare shifter housing and I am looking into getting a keyway cut into the shaft and lever and fitting a key to take the shearing force without getting sloppy and just using the roll pin to hold it all together.
    My 568 does this too, just recently started.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Re: Sloppy shifter, not the bushings.

back to the top. cutting a keyway is beyond capabilities that I have here in the garage but I'm thinking a tapered pin would work well for this situation ?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

That aluminum lever is a known fail point on the 523/543/568. I think some people have drilled it out and installed a brass bushing to fix it.

Edit: I'm thinking of the one on top, is that the one you are having issues with?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

howabout upsized roll pin (or tool steel pin) then a set screw 90* each direction from the pin. If that doesn't seem like enough just slather it in green loctite before assembly.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    That aluminum lever is a known fail point on the 523/543/568. I think some people have drilled it out and installed a brass bushing to fix it.

Edit: I'm thinking of the one on top, is that the one you are having issues with?
    The one on the rear.

Hybrid booster

Wasn't someone making a nice, billet lever for these at one time?

turbo addict

yeppers stupid 5 character limit

Quote Originally Posted by Tbird232ci View Post
    Wasn't someone making a nice, billet lever for these at one time?
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...READY-TO-ORDER

Never heard from him Not sure whatever happend with them.

turbo addict

He's still around on the forums. I don't know that anyone has had a bad experience with him either. That's a really nice piece, especially for the money.