Thread: Trailer hitch wanted

Garrett booster

Trailer hitch wanted

I am looking for a trailer hitch for an aries wagon. If anyone might have one of the older styles that bolt to the frame and spare tire well, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hybrid booster

Re: Trailer hitch wanted

there are a couple disadvantages to that type....not very rugged and rather vulnerable. if someone runs into you the hitch will be the first thing that gets hit and the bumper and spare tire pan will go bye bye. there IS a class 2 receiver type out there for these cars (similar to the one for the C body) that will distribute the load right to the uni body where all the strength is. also, you won't have to worry about bumping your shins every time your loading groceries. i already have one on my 86 that my dad originally bought for his 81 wagon. it does work slick but there are those drawbacks i mentioned above. if i didn't have my 72 Suburban with a class V hitch (2x2 15,000 pounds w/out equalizer bars), i'd certainly upgrade. that 2.5 T2 w/ 3" SV and exhaust will have plenty of torque for towing.

here's the only one i know of for sale (of the type you asked for):

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/2935390535.html

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

wow, $80 for that thing?! lol

The one i have on my dynasty (which would bolt to an aries and was originally sold for a new yorker) bolts to the bolts that hold the rear bumper struts to the end of the 'framerails', and also has two arms that go up under and forward and bolt to the 'framerail' looking things. I have towed about 4500 lbs with it at one point and towed 3000 lbs halfway across the country and back with it. I usually only tow dolleys or light trailers. I dont think it can take a whole lot of tongue weight.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I should have clarified, I am looking for the small receiver hitch that will bolt to the framerails. Sounds similar to what Vigo has on his. I have a 74' 1 ton Chevy, that I use for heavy stuff, but it would be way more economical to tow the boat with the wagon. It is only a 16' aluminum and the wagon will have no problem towing it. I have seen a few over the years so I know they exist, I just am having a really hard time finding one now.