Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vw coil overs on a l body?

Mitsu booster

Re: Vw coil overs on a l body?

I'm suprised that more people havent gone this route as well, given the similarity between the cars. I put up a post way back asking about htis, and never even got a response...

Did something similar to what yere doin last spring to my GLHT. I probably shoulda created a build thread, but you know how it goes whne you get knee deep and you just wanna get it all together.

I used Mk1 Rabbit Coil over kit from ground control. Used omni struts in the rear with the GC top hats (required cutting the little top sleave down about 10mm so everything would bolt togther and grinding a little bit on th strut bodies to allow the coil over bottom bracket to slide over it, and first gen neon struts in front with the omni top hats, which bolted together.

Car came down pretty hard.(I'm still adjusting t get it perfect without rubbing issues.)

This is at it's lowest: (sorry for the crappy pic)

What is the cost of the coil overs, front and rear?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wouldn't call it common knowledge......Wasn't someone on here not too long ago selling the rear conversion kit, but wouldn't share how to do it....

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    What is the cost of the coil overs, front and rear?
    Looks like you can get a set of cheap raceland for the MK1 for $369 complete

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    Looks like you can get a set of cheap raceland for the MK1 for $369 complete
    Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Sure http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/...lover-kit.html
    Don't think there the best, but they are cheap

Do you have a link?
    +1 That's DIRT cheap for coil overs that bolt up. I didn't think Ground Control sold them that cheap. (Ground Control was mentioned earlier, could be another source for the suspension though)
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I think Rich(Rbryant) also sells the VW kits. Look at his site and see. They are the BC racing kits. I have the Neon fronts and Talon rears IIRC.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    Sure http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/...lover-kit.html
    Don't think there the best, but they are cheap
    Those are cheap enough that I would rather go that route than the stock replacement stuff from AZ if it's not too terrible to bolt it up.

turbo addict

Those are cheap enough that I would rather go that route than the stock replacement stuff from AZ if it's not too terrible to bolt it up.
    There are like 6 differen brands of Coilovers you can buy. H&r ground control and more.

And many more spring options and a thicker shock rod too

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dart165 View Post
    I'm suprised that more people havent gone this route as well, given the similarity between the cars. I put up a post way back asking about htis, and never even got a response...

Did something similar to what yere doin last spring to my GLHT. I probably shoulda created a build thread, but you know how it goes whne you get knee deep and you just wanna get it all together.

I used Mk1 Rabbit Coil over kit from ground control. Used omni struts in the rear with the GC top hats (required cutting the little top sleave down about 10mm so everything would bolt togther and grinding a little bit on th strut bodies to allow the coil over bottom bracket to slide over it, and first gen neon struts in front with the omni top hats, which bolted together.

Car came down pretty hard.(I'm still adjusting t get it perfect without rubbing issues.)

This is at it's lowest: (sorry for the crappy pic)

watch the center of the rear tires for rubbing this is were i had them rub on the rear fenders when lowered with big tires
    but i like this so far!!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    watch the center of the rear tires for rubbing this is were i had them rub on the rear fenders when lowered with big tires
    but i like this so far!!!
    yea I'm looking to see if the mk2 shocks will work and are closer to the stock length so my travel is more broad. Looks cool slammed tho

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Great info so far , i would buy these in a heartbeat but do not want my GLH to sit that low. If the Mk2 are longer i cant see why i couldn't have the stock ride height.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I think Rich(Rbryant) also sells the VW kits. Look at his site and see. They are the BC racing kits. I have the Neon fronts and Talon rears IIRC.
    BC doesn't make a MK2 VW kit and i think they are the best middle of the pack coilover maker. I am sure there are cheaper options out there so if they have a MK2 kit that works and are cheaper than the BCs then that is cool too. I did look at Ksport, etc to try and find a good alternative to BC but I ended up back at BC as the best option.

On the BC Front.

MK4 fronts could work but don't come with camber plates from BC which makes them a worse and more expensive option than the SRT4s.
    The MK4 fronts are too short anyway because the VW crowd likes the hellafuct (err I mean hellaflush) look which means that most coilover companies provide much shorter than stock shocks/struts for those cars.

MK4 rears are too long because they are MUCH longer in stock form than the Lbody is.

The adapter kits are more to make the front truly bolt on and add caster adjustment. The rear has been improved over the DSM kit and is now really just bushings to widen out the mount on the shocks, a different spring hat, and a MAG lugnut to make the top threads long enough.

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    BC doesn't make a MK2 VW kit and i think they are the best middle of the pack coilover maker. I am sure there are cheaper options out there so if they have a MK2 kit that works and are cheaper than the BCs then that is cool too. I did look at Ksport, etc to try and find a good alternative to BC but I ended up back at BC as the best option.

On the BC Front.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...rs-on-a-l-body
    Your are right about the hella gay flush stuff that most of the Vw guys run. I'm trying to find the best alternative than the monis

MK4 fronts could work but don't come with camber plates from BC which makes them a worse and more expensive option than the SRT4s.
    The MK4 fronts are too short anyway because the VW crowd likes the hellafuct (err I mean hellaflush) look which means that most coilover companies provide much shorter than stock shocks/struts for those cars.

MK4 rears are too long because they are MUCH longer in stock form than the Lbody is.

The adapter kits are more to make the front truly bolt on and add caster adjustment. The rear has been improved over the DSM kit and is now really just bushings to widen out the mount on the shocks, a different spring hat, and a MAG lugnut to make the top threads long enough.

-Rich
    I have not looked into srt stuff at this point but if it's close in length and bolts to are spindles that might be an option to. I am not looking for a cheap alternative I'm looking for a top end performance option. And the vws have a lot of cheap and pricy options to work with. The mk1 stuff is a bolt on affare thus far but I need to find some mk2 stuff to see if it will work. It's apparently longer but how much I don't know yet.

boostaholic

I've been doing some research.
    This would be another opption for MK1 coilovers
    A little more than Raceland, but so far I've read good reviews
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-maxx-Coilo...81e6d8&vxp=mtr

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    I have not looked into srt stuff at this point but if it's close in length and bolts to are spindles that might be an option to. I am not looking for a cheap alternative I'm looking for a top end performance option. And the vws have a lot of cheap and pricy options to work with. The mk1 stuff is a bolt on affare thus far but I need to find some mk2 stuff to see if it will work. It's apparently longer but how much I don't know yet.
    I would argue that the ones that you have pictured are not a top end option feature wise.

The simple fact that their height adjustment loses suspension travel means that they will only be optimal over a very narrow range of height adjustment. With adjustment like that the bound/rebound travel is only centered at one point in the adjustment range.. Higher end coilovers move the cartridge inside of the spindle mount to avoid that problem.

-Rich

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I would argue that the ones that you have pictured are not a top end option feature wise.

The simple fact that their height adjustment loses suspension travel means that they will only be optimal over a very narrow range of height adjustment. With adjustment like that the bound/rebound travel is only centered at one point in the adjustment range.. Higher end coilovers move the cartridge inside of the spindle mount to avoid that problem.

-Rich
    This is why I am lookin into using mk2 stuff it is longer.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    This is why I am lookin into using mk2 stuff it is longer.

so, did we ever find out if the mk2 stuff fits better on a L body?
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    so, did we ever find out if the mk2 stuff fits better on a L body?
    No I haven't honestly. I gotta round up one front and one rear complete assembly to test out. Everyone wants an arm and a leg for it it seems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast