Thread: Weber Conversion ?

Mitsu booster

Question Weber Conversion ?

I know it is a turbo forum but I really need a little help & figured I would post this. If no one can help I guess no one will respond.

I am new to this forum & recently bought a 1981 Plymouth Arrow truck with the 2.6l. It has been a nightmare so far with one problem after another but $1200 later & a laundry list of new parts I think things are looking better. I just did the Weber carb conversion yesterday. The truck seems to be running pretty well but I have a few questions. 1st (& most important) is what to do with the 2 "OUT" lines on the stock fuel pump. The Mikuni original carb used both lines but the Weber only needs 1. The Weber Tech guy told me to hook the return line, that ran off the driver side of the Mikuni & went back to the tank, to the extra fuel pump line. It seemed logical. Is that what other guys have done? I noticed that my fuel tank is building up a lot of pressure now. I did not have the truck very long before the motor came apart for a new head gasket thanks to a previous owner hiding it when I bought it so I don't know if the tank did this before. I thought about venting the gas cap but really would rather figure out what is causing the pressure. I also added an inline fuel filter between the pump & Weber to help lower the fuel pressure & it seems to be fine. How crucial is hitting the 3.5 psi that the Weber calls for? Can I keep the stock fuel pump & add a regulator? How do I know if I am getting too much pressure to the carb? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. If possible, someone could PM me for my phone # & I will call if it is easier. Thanks guys! Great site!

Glenn

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Weber Conversion ?

I'd bring both outputs together, if that's what they actually are .... seems odd that there would be two outputs, but I'm no expert on these.

Webber carbs tend to be fairy sensitive to pressure, with too much overpowering the needle and seat, causing a flooding condition or a rich condition if it only raises the float level rather than completely overpowering it.

Circulation of the fuel will tend to make it turn to vapor, which could be why you are seeing so much pressure in the tank.

You can run a regulator after the pump if it puts out too much pressure.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

When I had my D50 Sport with a Weber, they were saying to run a rotary electric fuel pump at 3.5 psi because more than 4 would flood it and a pulsating fuel pump would also cause issues (ie the solid state universal pumps sold at parts stores). I just used the stock pump and had no issues, but I didn't have the extra line, I guess cause mine was an '86. Maybe you could get a later model pump with 1 output?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Every since I went to the Weber my fuel pressure has been set at only 2.75 psi with no troubles at all....keep in mind that I run the heck out of this car at the track. I strongly urge you to put the jets from your stock carb into the Weber.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]