Thread: 86 Omni 2.5 Electrical Issue

Mitsu booster

86 Omni 2.5 Electrical Issue

I have been having a power loss issue with my car. It started out on the freeway as a slight stutter while the throttle was constant, and now it is more erratic. If I start the car up now, it runs rough and the "power loss" light is on. When I push the throttle down halfway the rpms drop quickly and then with the throttle constant it revs up and down around the 1800-2800 range for a few seconds. After this happens and with the throttle still constant, the "power loss" light goes out and the rpms go up like they should. If I let off the throttle the cycle repeats itself. I have a 20sec video of this but can't figure out how to attach it to this post.

Mitsu booster

Re: 86 Omni 2.5 Electrical Issue

No luck pulling codes via the power loss light, and I don't have an obd1 available to pull codes that way either.

Mitsu booster

I thought someone would have some insight for me. I'm going to put another 3 bar map on tomorrow or Saturday. Hope it fixes my problem. Anyone know how I can upload my short video? Maybe that will help everyone see the problem.

turbo addict

sounds like a map issue, make sure hose is good going to map sensor. map might be on LM or on rf strut tower.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Mitsu booster

I'm going to check the hose tomorrow as well as pick up another known good map to swap in just for troubleshooting purposes. It sure would be nice if that fixes it. Eight miles per gallon driving my van to work is really starting to hit the wallet.

Map def 1st on list,then maybe tps and hep can do some strange things,tps should code though.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Add check grounds....

Mitsu booster

I put a known good map sensor in place of the old one with no luck. The car is still running with the same issues. I also disconnected the battery and reconnected it to let the computer "learn" the new sensor. Don't know if that was needed but figured it couldn't hurt. I have a multimeter sitting in my toolbox but I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone please throw me a starting point so I can begin diagnosing this issue? Right now my choice for commute is an 8 mile per gallon van or my motorcycle. PLEASE HELP!

What computer are you running? Check lm wire connections..